Author Topic: Hub gear changers  (Read 16983 times)

Billy

Hub gear changers
« on: November 05, 2003, 11:39:08 pm »
Has any one a method of using hub gear shifters(Rohloff or Sram) with drop handlebars?

KOMPRESSOR

Re: Hub gear changers
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2003, 09:09:10 am »
If you are running an upright riding position and you have the aheadset set up. Why not use a 2nd, shorter aheadstem under your regular stem that can hold a length of bar that you can mount the shifter to. This should enable the twist shifter to be as ergonomic (if not more so) than a bar end lever. This might open up an oppurtunity to mount more accessories up front.

Andrew

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2003, 11:50:34 am »
Have you seen these Norwid drop bars that take the Rohloff shifter?

http://www.norwid.de/Drehgriff_Flyer.jpg

PeLu

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2003, 07:06:48 pm »
Another solution is at the bottom of:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/rohloff.html

I quote:

Here is a way to use the Rohloff with drop handlebars. The twist shifter is mounted on a cut-down mountainbike bar-end extension. This is a convenient place for the control, doesn't get in the way, and provides neat cable routing.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2003, 10:46:45 pm »
Looks fine for the stuck in the past quill brigade!

John S2

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2003, 04:37:11 pm »
Another solution: the SRAM twist-grip shifter (and I assume therefore the Rohloff as well) fits vertically on a "stuck in the past quill" stem, as long as the vertical part is long enough.  A minor advantage is that it can then be operated equally well with either hand.  You soon learn to compensate for the obvious interference between gear changing and steering!

nrdlnd

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2003, 03:48:55 pm »
Hi,
I've done exactly this with the road bar but to have the possibility to use SRAM Grip Shifts to my regular 3x9 gears. I have a second shortened MTB bar below on the Ahead stem and the two shifters. I do also have the Klickfix for the bag there and it makes for better balance. I also have the thumb shifter for the Arai drum brake there (it's an Adventure tandem used for heavy touring) but I may replace it with a short Grip Shift instead as they are more intuitive to work with. I do also have double brake levers to the Magura Rim brakes (HS66 + HS22 levers).. This arrangement has worked very well for us.

Per

quote:
Originally posted by KOMPRESSOR

If you are running an upright riding position and you have the aheadset set up. Why not use a 2nd, shorter aheadstem under your regular stem that can hold a length of bar that you can mount the shifter to. This should enable the twist shifter to be as ergonomic (if not more so) than a bar end lever. This might open up an oppurtunity to mount more accessories up front.

Nick Payne

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2003, 06:36:29 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Billy

Has any one a method of using hub gear shifters(Rohloff or Sram) with drop handlebars?

You can see how I did it at http://www.tip.net.au/~njpayne/bikestuff/Rohloff/. I now have this shifter setup for the Rohloff on two bikes, the one you see there and a tandem.

Nick

PeLu

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2004, 07:29:23 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Nick PayneI now have this shifter setup for the Rohloff on two bikes, the one you see there and a tandem.

Have you also tried to turn the shifter around (so that the other side with the cables points back) ?
actually I had the idea of a similar shifter back in the early seventies, a turning bar end shifter (for a derailleur of course), but never finished it.

PeLu
« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 07:30:01 pm by PeLu »

John

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2004, 10:23:05 pm »
Yep - I use the Sachs thumb shifter on the top of the drop bars with a Super Seven. Works fine.

Motty

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2004, 10:58:15 am »
Do any of you chaps know what the gear ratios are on the Sach\SRAM 7 speed unit?

Cheers
Richard

Found the answer [:)], Sheldon again www.sheldonbrown.com/internal-gears.html
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 03:26:14 pm by Motty »