Author Topic: TiGr lock...a little different approach to security  (Read 5100 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
TiGr lock...a little different approach to security
« on: November 02, 2012, 05:18:38 am »
Hi All!

I've been watching the TiGr lock for awhile as it moved through Kickstart funding to current production; it is still fresh to market and under further development:
http://tigrlock.com/product/

It is an interesting approach, consisting of a 19mm/.75in @ 16oz/440gm, or 32mm/1.25in @ 24oz/670gm titanium bow with clear vinyl coating, secured with a high-security cylinder lock. It weighs about 1/3 of what a D-lock or U-lock does, and the thin, flexible nature of the Ti strip allows it to secure both wheels and a bike rack.

The flexible nature of the lock makes it resistant to twisting attacks, and it appears to do a good job resisting handheld hacksaws and  bolt cutters. Unfortunately, like most locks of any type, it falls prey to the cordless-electric grinder fitted with a cutoff wheel (the model with the wider band should resist attack longer than the narrower one).

I wish there was something a bit more elegant than velcro straps to hold it to the frame...perhaps something like a molded cradle, but this seems to do the job at present.

These things are expensive -- USD$165 for the 19mm and USD$200 for the 32mm, and the velcro straps are USD$7. Spare lock cylinders are USD$50, and spare bows are available separately for USD$110/$145.

It surely is an intriguing idea, and shows some really innovative thinking. It is light compared to other solutions, but storage seems less convenient than more conventional solutions. I'd like to see the promised 3rd party testing and certifications now under way. Worth keeping an eye on, methinks.

Best,

Dan.

Andybg

Re: TiGr lock...a little different approach to security
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 09:20:07 am »
Very interesting and a neat solution. I am sure it will appeal to many road cyclists as it will be a very nice balanced lower weight to carry which will also be rattle free.

It is a shame about the cost as I would imagine a lower cost steel rather than titanium would almost have been as effective for a fraction of the cost.

There are not many things that can defeat an angle grinder

I would imagine we will see these in the future

No

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 06:30:30 am »
This one has always disturbed me. I mean, could not a bolt cutter go through the narrow edges like butter?

triaesthete

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 08:01:57 am »

"like butter" indeed. Nice idea but the attack tests concentrate on the long strip.

I would attack  the small strap end retainer at the bottom of the lock cylinder if it was my job to remove it. Much less metal there...

Ian

No

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 05:34:21 pm »
No. I was speaking of the videos on this thing where the guy tries to cut it so that the bolt cutters are cutting it in such a way that it's too thin for the blades to even bite into. If it were to be cut in the opposing manner where the blades could bite into thin edges instead of the broad sides, it would cut quite easily.

triaesthete

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 05:47:14 pm »
No, yes and no:
I meant the product is a nice idea. And yes edge on would be a good attack on the main band. But, to me, at a glance the lock cylinder is a weaker link.

Oh da joys of de English language  ;D

Ian

No

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 12:52:33 am »
Yeah, they need a little paint program as an option when posting so I can draw pics of what I'm talking about.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 02:32:27 am »
Yeah, they need a little paint program as an option when posting so I can draw pics of what I'm talking about.
Hi No!

Sorry, the SMF software doesn't include that option, but you can always use a graphics, drawing, or CAD/CAM application of scan a pencil sketch and attach it as you would a photo. I've written a little tutorial to make it easier for first-timers to upload and attach pics or include them inline as HTML tags if you have pictures stored on an external host. See: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4313.0

Best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 02:52:28 am »
...could not a bolt cutter go through the narrow edges like butter?
Hi No!

I'm not so sure it could in the wider size. While I don't have a TiGr lock to try (and wouldn't want to incur the financial loss or damage), I did try using bolt cutters on a small gvscrap of similarly wide 32mm Ti sheet I have here. Indeed, it is very resistant to cutting the flat way, *and* was amazingly difficult to cut edge-wise in this width. Compound bolt cutters have the weakest leverage at the ends of their jaws...and those jaws don't open very wide. My very large cutters couldn't quite grasp all 32mm, and when I tried a 19mm width, I found the Ti sheet wanted to fold into a shallow "v" with notched edges. It would have taken awhile to get through it, but I think the narrower model would definitely be more vulnerable to an edge attack.

If I were to buy a TiGr lock, I'd definitely get the wider one to make an edge attack much more difficult.

Unfortunately, I can't think of a separable security solution (lock, cable, chain) that can withstand the dreaded portable electric grinder, given the thief has both time and opportunity.

Best,

Dan. (...who despises bike thieves)

ZeroBike

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 07:43:52 pm »
No, yes and no:
I meant the product is a nice idea. And yes edge on would be a good attack on the main band. But, to me, at a glance the lock cylinder is a weaker link.

Oh da joys of de English language  ;D

Ian

I emailed them a while ago asking if the cylinder could be twisted off but apparently, when locked, the cylinder spins freely.

No

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 08:45:47 am »
Did sold secure or anything test this lock?