Author Topic: Thorn Me n U 2 for sale  (Read 3990 times)

russ

Thorn Me n U 2 for sale
« on: October 27, 2012, 12:22:41 pm »
After much consideration we have finally decided to sell our Thorn Me“n”u2 triplet. We bought it new ten years ago from the manufactures St John Street Cycles in Bridgewater. They are now manufactured in Asia and retail at £2300.

The bike has be used for occasional local rides and Summer holidays and is still in excellent condition. We have recently cycled in the Western Isles with Myself (6ft) as pilot, my wife in the middle (5ft 5”) and my daughter aged 12 (5ft 2”) on the back. I have fitted a longer seat post so a larger child small adult could use the back seat. We have been cycling the bike since my eldest daughter was 4 with various combinations of  my wife and kids on middle and back seat.

I have replaced the original seats with Gel seats. There is a small tear on one of them.
Original tyres were replaced in 2011.
The toe clips have been removed but I still have them and can easily be refitted.

The bike is easy to ride, much more stable than a tag a long and has been built using quality equipment.
The length of the bike is 280 cm tyre to tyre. Sale is for pick up only but may be able to deliver to Central belt / A9 corridor/ East coast of Scotland.

This is a great bike and we have had loads of fun on it. We will kind of miss it but its time for someone else to enjoy it.

We are looking for £1000 for this bike.

Pictures can be viewed at link below
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=BF37604958D7FE1!553&authkey=!AIHKE43JM3Q-F4w

PMc

Re: Thorn Me n U 2 for sale
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 11:28:22 am »
Hi Russ

Very interested in this bike if it is still available.

Paul.

PMc

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 12:34:35 pm »
It's time to sell this lovely bike again.

We've had tons of fun on him. I've been able to take the boys cycling when they would have been too young/inexperienced to go on solos. And if the ride ended up being too long for one or other of them, they could relax and let me take the strain. We've cycle-camped using a trailer. And the school run was made much easier (not to mention much more fun) with this bike.

I got it when the boys were 6 and 3.5 and it fitted them immediately. They are 11 and 9 now and - while it still fits them (it is very adjustable) -  they tend to use their own bikes these days, and I could use the space (and the cash).

It's red (= faster). Has mudguards and rear rack. Both sets of stokers' cranks have 2 positions for pedals (they don't seem to do that now. The website pics suggest only the rear cranks have these). The stokers' pedals all have clips and straps on to keep little feet out of the (many) chain rings.

I changed the front V-brake for a magura hydraulic rim caliper, which is an awesome brake. I have one for the rear wheel too, but have not fitted it. I'll include it, with the pads and spares, very long hose and lever if you want it. In the meantime, there's a perfectly adequate V-brake still on the back.

It won't come with the (2) Brooks saddles. I might have some spares if you need them.

Gearing is 3 x 67, with a nice, low, bottom gear. I don't recall finding a hill we couldn't climb. I changed the twist grip shifter for the rear mech to a rapid fire+ because it's better. The front mech is still twist grip operated, however because (in my opinion) it allows more trimming, which is useful on a triple chainset operating in a different time zone! 

It's been stored indoors since we bought it. There's no rust on the frame (I touched up some superficial patches). It might be time for new timing chains: I think I have some spares and, if I have, I'll replace them.

New they are £1999 (yellow). I think this bike is worth £950 with the roof rack which sits flat on top of your roof bars (but might need some adjustment if your bars are not the same distance apart as mine). This rack was hand made by a chap who used to advertise his services in the CTC (as was) magazine. It was for my Dawes (2 seater) tandem, but it takes the Thorn very well.

Some pics:

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn6/gaydisco/DSCF2004.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn6/gaydisco/DSCF2996.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn6/gaydisco/DSCF2986.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn6/gaydisco/DSCF2366.jpg

We're in Derbyshire and you're welcome to come and try the bike out first, obviously. I have advertised this bike elsewhere, but not (for the moment) on eBay.

Paul.

(I was going to start a new thread, but I quite liked the idea of continuing this bike's history here.)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 05:50:13 pm by PMc »

PMc

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 05:52:17 pm »
Updated to account for the fact that there are 7 sprockets on the back wheel, not 6.

You'd think I'd have spotted that after 5 years, wouldn't you?

PMc

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 06:17:11 pm »
Now sold.