Author Topic: 'Tis the time of the year for cheap dynamo wheels  (Read 3120 times)

Andre Jute

'Tis the time of the year for cheap dynamo wheels
« on: October 25, 2012, 01:12:17 pm »
Found this in my mailbox:

http://www.xxcycle.com/php/boutique/page.php?nom=PRODUITpp&key=6748

A built 622 Rigida wheel with a Shimano hub dynamo, made for a reputable bike maker, Winora,  for €70 landed in Ireland. Strikes me as good deal. Now is the time when surplus components are sold off. The same wheel will very likely get cheaper still on Ebay but watch the schipping.  I know XXCycles; I've bought from them several times; they're recommended for price and speed of service. I've never had anything go wrong with a component I bought from them, or with a delivery, etc.

Also currently on sale at XX is what many consider the best bicycle rear light, BUMM's Toplight Line Plus, for under €17.

Andre Jute

il padrone

Re: 'Tis the time of the year for cheap dynamo wheels
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 10:05:15 am »
That is a real steal - thanks for the 'heads up' Andre. I have one in the shopping basket, just not sure whether I can really justify making the change on my Shogun (it has a B&M S6 sidewall dynamo at present).

jags

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 01:14:24 pm »
Andre i was just about to buy one when i spotted the dynamo looked like a very old model and probably weights a ton , i tried to contact them to see if they had a 26inch wheel with the top end shimano dynamo hub and black rim , but could not manage to contact them kept getting some jargon back in french  :-[
now i went and spent the money i had  ah well if you see a good 26in wheel let me know .

jags.

il padrone

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 01:41:16 pm »
Starbike price that same hub at 40 Euro. That's almost exactly the same as the xxcycle price for the whole wheel - buy a hub and get a rim and a wheel built for free. It may be a heavier hub, but as a dynamo hub for a basic city or commuter hack it ticks the boxes for value. Anyway I've been told that all the Shimano hubs are pretty much the same, you just get better quality bearings in the Ultegra dynohub  ???

jags

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 02:04:52 pm »
this new front wheel will be a one time buy so i want to get it spot on,
i really fancy the son classik 28 but man its expensive,
so i reckon for my needs the shimano will do the job .
must get in contact with davethebikes he might just do me a good deal ;)

Andre Jute

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 05:14:37 pm »
Well, I'd sound ridiculous trying to pretend I'm a weight weenie, but I can't say I ever noticed the weight of the older Shimano dynamo hub on my Trek. I suspect that, sitting at the centre of the wheel there, a weight difference would as a percentage have to be very much larger to be noticed than on far out on the rotating mass at the edge of the rim.

As Il Padrone has already said, the only difference between the cheapest and the most expensive Shimano hub dynamos is the bearings, the "sports" versions getting Ultegra-level bearings. That might have an influence on longevity, but all the Shimano hub dynamos are rebuildable. In theory that is, 'cos the rebuild kit, if you can even get one, probably costs more than a new complete wheel with hub dynamo at the discounters, as we have just seen.

In the days before I grasped that eventually, as long as you avoid becoming a fashion victim, all cycle components cost the same, the expensive ones just lasting longer, I went into the Shimano dynohubs thoroughly. This was back when the top Shimano dynohub was the NX70, still today offered for sale here and there and still pricey compared to what else you can get from Shimano. I discovered then that all Shimano hubs weigh the same, because of the impossibility of actually getting a sport model (Ultegra bearings) delivered without the heavy disc brake plate. Shimano of course weighs them in the lightest model and that's what appears on the spec sheet...

To my mind, for Irish conditions which, even for those of us who live in the countryside,  always include traffic and at least a bit of stopping or slowing down and then starting or accelerating again, the Shimano has a significant advantage over the SON, which is that it delivers more current at a lower speed than the SON can. Your lights come up to full brightness faster and stay bright at a lower speed than with a SON. This certainly applies on my lanes, and on the few major roads I still go on. To a commuter, I imagine, it would be a killer argument that the Shimano under the most common conditions gives more light...

Andre Jute

jags

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 06:39:28 pm »
cheers Andre well i'm broke now so it doesn't really matter ::)

jags