Author Topic: Saddles Thread?  (Read 91387 times)

JWestland

Re: Saddles Thread?
« Reply #180 on: September 26, 2013, 08:19:16 pm »
It does tend to get in ones legs while cycling though  ;D
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

il padrone

« Reply #181 on: September 26, 2013, 11:49:32 pm »
Ah. Carried to camp. Only to be drunk post-ride. Two pints make for excellent rehydration in my experience  :)

kingnutterrick

« Reply #182 on: October 24, 2013, 08:29:52 pm »
Has only one used the rivet pearl saddle SJS cycles carries. I am looking for a nice saddle.

JWestland

« Reply #183 on: October 30, 2013, 09:34:04 am »
Do you know what type of saddle agrees with you?

Nothing like a good leather saddle (Regal/Brooks/Rolls/Concor) but some people don't get on with them.

il padrone

« Reply #184 on: October 30, 2013, 09:45:51 am »
Nothing like a good leather saddle (Regal/Brooks/Rolls/Concor) but some people don't get on with them.

Only one of those is a real leather saddle  ;)

Peejay

« Reply #185 on: October 30, 2013, 01:52:44 pm »
To Kingnutterrick,
I have a Rivet Pearl on my Raven. Just done around 300 miles on it and it's an armchair! Best saddle I've ever owned. No real break-in period as it was good from the first ride, however it is getting better with use.
I normally ride Brooks Pro's and still have them on my Sherpa and Bob Jackson - great saddles and still comfy to ride on, but the Pearl is just that bit better.
Being a big guy - the Pearl is more suitable as it's a bit wider than a Brooks Pro 170mm vs 160mm, and the cut-out works real well, no "hard as iron" feeling on the front of the saddle.
Build quality is superb, in my opinion better than Brooks - weight is similar to a Pro (chrome moly) - and the mounting rail to top of saddle height is the same - so no saddle height adjustment.
If you are after a touring style saddle on the wider side go for one. I'm going to change my other bikes to Pearl saddles in the new year.

Pete.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 04:15:06 pm by Peejay »

JWestland

« Reply #187 on: November 01, 2013, 12:03:01 pm »
Only one of those is a real leather saddle  ;)

I've still to own a Brooks. Vintage Brooks on an Italian bike...hm not sure. It would fit the Thorn though :)

But mind you the brand new Regal is definitely harder than the Specialized Avatar I had! Working my way up to this:
http://sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #188 on: November 01, 2013, 05:31:46 pm »
Working my way up to this:
http://sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html
;D :D ;)

A do wish my recent Brooks B.17s didn't go soft so quickly. Each new one I buy seems softer than the last. I do hope Brooks isn't trying to make their products more "accessible" to a mass audience, neglecting their hard-core fans in the process.

A happy side-effect of Danneaux's Great Suspension Seatpost Experiment may be longer saddle life, 'cos the leather doesn't have to absorb the sharp impacts from a bouncing posterior all by itself. Time will tell.

All the best,

Dan.

Pavel

« Reply #189 on: November 02, 2013, 04:57:17 am »
;D :D ;)

A do wish my recent Brooks B.17s didn't go soft so quickly. Each new one I buy seems softer than the last. I do hope Brooks isn't trying to make their products more "accessible" to a mass audience, neglecting their hard-core fans in the process.

A happy side-effect of Danneaux's Great Suspension Seatpost Experiment may be longer saddle life, 'cos the leather doesn't have to absorb the sharp impacts from a bouncing posterior all by itself. Time will tell.

All the best,

Dan.

Yes!  Yes, YES!

julk

« Reply #190 on: November 02, 2013, 08:46:30 am »
Try lacing a brooks saddle when it goes too soft.
It is very easy to do and it brings it back to ‘normal’.

Use a spring toggle clamp on the lacing and you can then adjust it quickly to suit.
Julian.

Andre Jute

« Reply #191 on: November 02, 2013, 09:51:57 am »
Try lacing a brooks saddle when it goes too soft.
It is very easy to do and it brings it back to ‘normal’.

Use a spring toggle clamp on the lacing and you can then adjust it quickly to suit.
Julian.

And it looks very trick too, without having to take a blade to the leather to cut slots in the top, which is the next step up in mangling Brooks saddles.

JWestland

« Reply #192 on: November 04, 2013, 04:58:34 pm »
Is it really that bad? The manfriend's well sat-in Brooks feels very comfy.

I now almost must have one to compare it to a stone saddle :P

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #193 on: November 04, 2013, 05:29:04 pm »
I now almost must have one to compare it to a stone saddle
As Pavel might say, "Yes!  Yes, YES!"  ;D (Any excuse for a Brooks, Jawine!)

All the best,

Dan. (...who likes his Brooks B17s firm in feel and convex in shape)

John Saxby

« Reply #194 on: November 04, 2013, 10:12:13 pm »
Well, just received this very day from Spa Cycles in 'arrowgate, a new black Nidd touring saddle, and very spiffy it is too.  Pretty much identical in shape & size to my dark brown B17 with copper rivets & plated rails.  Have some slight misgivings as I don't normally buy knock-offs...  Then again, I also bought a set of Spa's XD2 cranks for my Raven's drive train, and am very pleased by how pretty they look, all the more so 'cos of the very good price -- sans VAT, several steps south of £20.

When my Brooks migrates next spring (northwards, of course, as the sun rises higher in the sky) to sit atop my Raven frame & 'post, the Nidd will take over day-ride duties on the Eclipse, making that bike wholly black, grey n silver.  It comes, BTW, complete with a pre-punched-and-laced transverse tightening setup.  The Nidd will be Obenaufed shortly, for protection during its hibernation against the effects of our forced-air heating.

Comparative reports & side-by-side fotos to follow after the vernal equinox.