Author Topic: Cateye Adventure  (Read 7800 times)

Andybg

Cateye Adventure
« on: October 14, 2012, 03:27:24 pm »
Does anybody on here have any experience of using the Cateye Adventure?

I am needing a new computer and for the money it seems to give a lot of other fun information on top of the basic strada i normaly use.

Looking for reviews on the web it seems to get mixed reports from great to save up and get a garmin.

I am not convinced my riding warrants running a gps command centre from the handlebars so it is looking the favorite but always nice to get some backup opinions before spending pennies.

Cheers

Andy

Matt2matt2002

Re: Cateye Adventure
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 07:02:48 pm »
Hi Andy. Did you make any progress with the Cateye?
I am thinking of buying one
£67.99
Cyclestore free postage.
Quite tempted but wonder what you went with?
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 07:16:35 pm »
Some reviews:
http://www.patricklyford.com/2012/05/cateye-adventure-bicycle-computer.html
http://road.cc/content/review/17592-cateye-adventure-wireless-altimeter-computer
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/gadgets/cycle-computers/product/review-cateye-adventure-computer-10-39400
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/656075-Cateye-Adventure-review
http://www.rei.com/product/799563/cateye-adventure-bike-computer-wireless
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzSXGHqkGzI <-- Video portrayal by CatEye; little if any info but some in-use video
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/754176-Cateye-Adventure-(CC-AT200W)-altimeter-problem

Just a general note re: altimeters. Most are of the barometric type, and can be affected by changes in barometric pressure. That means this sort might show an increase or decrease in altitude even while standing still. Hikers using barometric altimeters sometimes view this as an advantage, as it can signal a storm's arrival or better weather ahead. Those wishing for the most accurate altimeter might choose one using GPS to determine altitude and gain/fall.

Introduced in 2010, the Cateye Adventure CC-AT200W seems to be headed toward the door, judging by some of the excellent prices I'm seeing online. Perhaps a new model is due soon to replace it?

Hope this helps.

Best,

Dan.

Andybg

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 07:18:46 pm »
Hi Matt

Not progressed with it as of yet but it is still what I plan on getting. I am not sure the accuracy of the altimeter is anything special but I think it will give enough accuracy to make it an interesting additional piece of information plus the shown gradient of the hill will give some "comfort" on those long slow climbs.

I run a cateye strada on my Nomad and have found it very accurate and reliable and to the best of my knowledge the advnture uses the same technology with with the addition of the barometer so should be reliable.

Andy

Andybg

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 07:20:16 pm »
The main advantage over gps sysetems being the good battery life (and cost)

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 09:57:06 pm »
Good battery life? That's a winner for me. ;)

il padrone

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 10:13:48 pm »
I have been using the Cateye Adventure for about 18 months. I do value it for a few extra features a regular computer doesn't have. The altitude function is handy, but does become subject to weather changes eg. on more than one occasion I have looked in horror to see that I was below the sea  :o. However the gradient calculation is not hindered by this and it is god to see what the slope of the hill you just climbed was. Gradient is not recorded, it is instantaneous, also there is a calculation-lag that is good as you can see the figure after the lung-busting section has been dealt with.

The temperature reading is also useful on hot/cold rides - it does need to be taken in the shade however, as the temperature reading goes sky-high when the (black) unit has been sitting or ridden in direct sunlight.

Otherwise it is a fairly standard computer unit with wireless sensor and multiple distance recording. No cadence or heart-rate recording, but I don't really need that. It doesn't replace a gps for me however - very different purposes. I like the unit for what it does.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 03:45:09 am by il padrone »

Andybg

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 06:51:39 am »
Thanks for that review padrone. I have it on the list for my eXp pnce I decide she is staying but it is nice to have someones first hand experience before going ahead with it.

Andy

Andybg

Cateye Adventure - ebay for 50ukp
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 04:00:58 pm »
Going cheap on ebay - 2 sold (one to me) and 5 left.

RRP 100ukp so a definite good buy

Andy

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 05:16:30 pm »

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 08:55:25 pm »
OK.
I have fitted it and been out for a ride today.
I ran it alongside my Garim Etrex gps unit.

Distance on Adventure, 31.22 miles
Distance on Garmin, 30.10 miles.

While riding the speed was always slightly out, although is understandable given the varying update rates.

Question folks. Best way to adjust and or gauge the accuracy of the Adventure or any other bike speedo.

Matt

il padrone

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 09:01:52 pm »
Measure your tyre roll-out and then set the computer tyre size to to the exact cm rather than just using the published tyre size listing.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 09:02:29 pm »
Question folks. Best way to adjust and or gauge the accuracy of the Adventure or any other bike speedo.
HI Matt!

I've found the most accurate way is to load the bike as it will be when ridden, then carefully mark the tire and do repeated rollouts with me on the bike, averaging them to the millimeter. Don't forget to allow for food and water when you measure with a load.

Your manual should detail a rollout procedure. I usually cut a fine wedge of masking tape and place it on the ground, then do the same for the tire sidewall, matching the points on the ground, then rollout from there. Your manual will also have a quick-set chart that will generally get you "close enough" for most use.

This means if you ride the bike unladen with tire pressures to match, the results will be different if you're loaded for touring and adjust the tire pressures accordingly. This is why I gravitate toward cycle-computers that allow the user to switch between two wheel sizes.
While riding the speed was always slightly out, although is understandable given the varying update rates.
Yep. Distance can also vary slightly, and for the same reasons.

Best,

Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 10:36:58 pm »
Thanks lads.
I have permission to borrow Mrs. Matt's tape measure and will be rolling out the Old Bird on Sunday.
Or is that, I have permission to borrow the Old Bird's tape measure and will be............
 ;)

And your opinion....
Which is going to be more accurate on distance? The GPS or the Adventure? I don't want to run the GPS all the time.