Author Topic: Most important athlete of all-time?  (Read 29598 times)

jedione12

Most important athlete of all-time?
« on: May 12, 2005, 03:38:31 am »
There was an interesting read in playboy's june issue where they interviewed Lance Armstrong, mentioning him as possibly being the most important athlete of all-time. I guess I never really thought of him like that before, but after reading through, this guy overcame 12 tumors, goes on to win the Tour de France 6 times in a row, and helped raise close to $40 million for cancer by selling those simple yellow bracelets for $1 each...he has my vote.

Just wondering what everyone else's opinion is?

Chris P.

MOULTY

Re: Most important athlete of all-time?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 11:59:41 am »
He`ll do for me.
Incredable guy.

[:)][:)][:)][:)]

mikey3

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 10:02:43 pm »
ALI ,no question   ,armstrong was pretty amazing mind you

Fred A-M

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 10:46:57 am »
Depends on how you define and measure "important".   For sure Armstrong's achievements are amazing but in my mind are very much tainted by suspicions of doping: too many of his former team-mates (Tyler Hamilton, Floyd Landis) are proven cheats - I know you can't judge some guilty by association, but I can't help but feel that this reflected the general culture in a camp in which Armstrong was teamleader  - until cycling really gets to grips with the doping issue - I personally would find it difficult to select anyone from the sport for this accolade. 

I'd also go for Ali who in my opinion is the ultimate sporting icon of all-time and who makes Armstrong look totally one-dimensional in his achievements.   If you are in any doubt, watch "When we were Kings" for an insight into the genuis that was Ali. 

Afterthought: If there is any athlete worthy of respect in cycling, it has to be Graham Obree, who despite his home-engineered record breaking feats, was shunned by professionals teams for his refusal to collude with widespread doping practices.  There's a recent film released called the Flying Scotsman which I've yet to see but from what I can understand, a truly remarkable individual worthy of the utmost respect. 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 11:09:54 am by Fred A-M »

john28july

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 01:28:16 pm »
Lance Armstrong is the greatest motivator in Cycling Sport of all time. If he cheated I do not know how. He worked his backside off to proove he was still alive.
John.
www.pbase.com/john28july

freddered

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 03:14:49 pm »
He's a hero of mine.

When I'm struggling to finish an Audax I oftern think of his "Pain is temporary, failure is forever" quote.

Not many humans have finished a Tour de France, some top cyclists have quit before the end because it's too hard.  Even fewer have actually won it but he's won it 7 times.

I can't think of any sporting equivalent (where even taking part is so tough, this isn't Darts)

jags

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 03:40:56 pm »
armstrong all the way,greatest tour rider of all time it was never proved he took drugs never, he was tested more times in and out of competition all clear every time ,this guy is good the best ever, you will never in your life time see his equal .take a look at 2003  tour what a man class all the way.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Fred A-M

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 09:26:07 pm »
Wouldn't disagree with most of the above, but I would say that it's cast-iron certainty that he was on drugs - he failed a test on one tour but they managed to botch the B-sample.  I recognise that the Le Tour is the greatest endurance feat going which makes Armstrong an incredible athlete regardless, especially given that a lot of his competitors were udoubtly doped too.   However, both Merckx and Hinault won other tours in the same seaons as their respective Tour victories, Armstrong focussed solely on competing in the tour, which diminishes his relative standing in my eyes. 

But I personally dont believe he did follow the rules, and for me his image is tarnished.  I prefer to look to people whose is integrity is a cast-iron certainty in terms of sporting heroes.  There are many who've achieved incredible things without the faintest hint of suspicion in relation to rule-bending.

julk

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 11:02:23 pm »
I agree that Lance Armstrong has had some fantastic results in his cycling career. I would choose Beryl Burton or Reg Harris if I had to stick to cycling - showing my age I know.

There have been extraordinary athletes in lots of sports, but for me the best ever athlete has to be Paul Elvström who won his first olympic gold medal in 1948 at the age of 20, sailing a Firefly singlehanded in Torbay. He went on winning major events up to the 1960s with 2 world championships in 1966.

Paul was an expert in racing single handed dinghies and dominated the Finn class in the 1950s, partly through his physical fitness. He published a guide to the racing rules which was the bible for most racing sailors for a long time.

Racing a dinghy singlehanded is a lot like cycling in the rain - cold, wet, a head wind most of the time and a pain barrier to overcome for top performance. Winning requires stamina, physical fitness and coordination, mental strength, knowledge of the racing rules, endless practice and belief in the god given right to be first over the line.

jawj

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 04:22:11 pm »
Gary Lineker - I'm not really a fan of football but how many other World Cup goal-scoring players have NEVER been yellow- or red-carded at any time in their careers?

Fair play is always praiseworthy and an excellent basis for a role-model.

bobs

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 05:00:24 pm »
Lance Armstrong for me, if you read his books he was the most drug tested athlete ever. Thats unless you count his chemo treatment  which the French think might have helped his performance.

Fred A-M

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 07:17:42 pm »
There seems to be enough circumstantial evidence that points to this adulation of Armstrong being somewhat unjustified, see link below which neatly sums up just some of the evidence and arguments!   

http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2005/07/322007.shtml

brummie

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 07:41:02 pm »
 To think Armstrong was "clean" & beat all those doped EPO users quite convincingly for all those years in the Tour de France... Hmm

Fred A-M

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 07:42:10 pm »
Gary Lineker - I'm not really a fan of football but how many other World Cup goal-scoring players have NEVER been yellow- or red-carded at any time in their careers?

Fair play is always praiseworthy and an excellent basis for a role-model.

John Charles - AKA Gentle Giant - also voted the best foreign player ever to have graced the Italian league.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/1390321.stm

Fred A-M

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 07:44:36 pm »
To think Armstrong was "clean" & beat all those doped EPO users quite convincingly for all those years in the Tour de France... Hmm

I couldn't have put it better myself! 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 07:47:43 pm by Fred A-M »