Author Topic: Carradice Audax Saddle Bag  (Read 17998 times)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Carradice Audax Saddle Bag
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 12:40:46 am »
How have you found the bar bag

It's solid and seems plenty waterproof. It's on the shallow side which means stuff doesn't get too lost down there and also it clears my front light.

The way I have it mounted, on the accessory bar, there is a bit of a snug clearance between the buckles and my brake levers. I am getting better at getting the buckle re-fastened with one hand while I am riding. I have the bag mounted with probably more tilt down to the front than I want, but that increases the space between the buckle and the brake lever. Now I have figured out the re-buckling is a sort of two step operation - slide the buckle down between the bag and the brake lever, then reach under the brake lever with my thumb to snap it shut. I tried to re-position the bag today - actually, a snug fit close to the brake levers might be good, because it'll keep the buckle from moving much as I re-position my thumb for the coup de grace.  

I keep my click-stand in there, plus a light with a head strap and some reading glasses, some snacks, usually some head and/or hand warmth like a balaclava or a buff, often a small camera, my sunglasses case with extra lenses to swap as conditions change. Sometimes a little notebook and often my wallet and coin purse. It's plenty big for these sorts of things, but it's not going to hold anything much bigger.

is that comfort bars you have on there - and again what are your thoughts?

Right, those are the regular alloy comfort bars and the basic Ergon grips. I like the setup well enough. Hard to compare really since this is the only bike I ride much. I ride a lot with my thumbs on top of the grips rather than grasping them. Sometimes I even just grab the ends of the grips as if there were proper bar-ends there. I can sort of massage my palms a bit that way. I do get a bit of hand numbness from time to time so I am still trying to figure out what I need to do to prevent that.  

« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 12:47:11 am by JimK »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 12:43:56 am »
I use the Carradice SQR Tour

I have my saddle bag mounted using the SQR gadget. This should actually reduce the stress on the seat rails a bit too, along with making it easy to detach the bag.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 02:15:46 am »
Here is a top view of the SuperC bar bag mounted on an accessory bar below the comfort bars.

Andybg

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 06:55:26 am »
Thanks for that comprehensive analysis of the bar bag.

Fortunatly when I am in the UK, I am staying about 30 mins from the Carradice factory so will go and drop in.

It certainly looks  very useful piece of ket to have along for the ride. Positioning of accessoires around the handlebars seems to be getting more and more of an art as we try to cram more things there.

In respect to the numb hands, this is something alot of people suffer from with straight bars, especialy without bar ends. It is just down to pressure in the same areas and not rotating the wrist at all.

It has been a topic I have been investigating in my Hand Position topic. I like the Humpert Hornbar bars with the built in "extra positions". My only cocern is that they look like they will be too long in the top for the bike I have manages to pick up. They look like a good option to change for drops. Although maybe with a 50mm stem I might get away with it.

Anyway - only three weeks till I pick up the new bike and then can play with handlebars and start my Nomad rebuild.

PS - That saddle looks far too close to the handlebars and the angle looks very uncomfortable!! lol

jags

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 11:01:50 am »
Say Andy if you get a good deal on the carradice saddle bag let me know will you thanks.
sjs sell them at 49 pound but the postage is to expensive as is carradice.
but still the audex bag looks  ::)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 01:09:35 pm »
In respect to the numb hands, this is something alot of people suffer from with straight bars, especialy without bar ends. It is just down to pressure in the same areas and not rotating the wrist at all.

It has been a topic I have been investigating in my Hand Position topic.

Yes, some interesting discussion there! It sends me off browsing handlebars on websites around the world... and then I wake back up & think: I just need to ride! Definitely worth trying to get it right when setting up a bike. At some point I might tweak a bit, maybe in a few years. Fascinating reading along the way though!

That saddle looks far too close to the handlebars and the angle looks very uncomfortable!!

Yeah, bike maneuvers require a contortionist here!

jags

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 01:30:16 pm »
whats in that brown cardboard box  ;)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 01:48:04 pm »
whats in that brown cardboard box

oh, cardboard boxes! Then there is my storage unit, a dozen miles from here or so:

jags

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 02:14:02 pm »
 ;D ;D you need a storage unit you must have a lot of bike gear to store. ;)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 02:25:35 pm »
you must have a lot of bike gear to store.

10,000 books! Yeah there are some spare tires in there too!

http://www.librarything.com/profile/kukulaj

jags

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2012, 12:56:48 pm »
Calling Andy did you have any luck on the audex bag.did you visit the carradice factory any bargains to be had. ;)

Andybg

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2012, 02:45:51 pm »
I am not going to the Factory till the beginning of November so if there is anything in paticular you are looking out for let me know.

I am taking with wife with me as it is getting fairly close to my 40th so you never know I might just be able to plant an idea or two - lol

jags

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2012, 04:22:06 pm »
andy plan well in advance ;)
as far as i know  carradice sells seconds at a good discount i'm like yourself after the audex or barley .

Swislon

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2012, 02:40:46 pm »
Hi Jags,

A few photos of our Barley bags on RST.
Mine without and with using a Bagman.
My wife's as is without Bagman as she prefers it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80450786@N02/sets/72157631805354694/with/8102482973/

Steve

jags

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2012, 03:01:12 pm »
Steve thanks for that looks class, seems to be perfect size.
hopefully i will be buying one in the next few weeks.
would you believe the wee handle on the bag support  for the QR broke of  as i was  fixing the ortlieb barbag to it  >:( not impressed.