Author Topic: Carradice Audax Saddle Bag  (Read 18276 times)

Andybg

Carradice Audax Saddle Bag
« on: October 10, 2012, 08:15:32 pm »
Does anyone have one of the above bags and either be able to let me know the length of the main pocket or give me advice on the best pump that will fit in one?

I am considering trying some sks p65 mudguards on the Nomad when I put on my Schwalbe Ice Spiker tyres but these will interfere with the Zefal pump. I am hoping the clearance with p65 will give enough clearance to make them more of a help than a hinderance?

Any advice or ideas appreciated

Cheers

Andy

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Carradice Audax Saddle Bag
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 03:10:38 am »
Andy,

Might it be possible to simply raise your existing mudguards by removing any spacers at the bridges and perhaps extending the stays or substituting some from http://ecom1.planetbike.com/smallparts.html ?

If the stays are left long, capped, and external to the brackets, the mudguard clearance can be adjusted seasonally as needed to accommodate your tires. Given the small cost of replacement stays versus complete mudguard sets, it might be worh a look if the basic tire width remains the same. Or, if one prefers stays with internal fixation, a second set of stays can be swapped seasonally instead.

All the best,

Dan. (who has 'guarded opinions about stays...)

il padrone

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 08:58:11 am »
OT but, best pump?

Lezyne Mini Stand pump. Sits very happily on a bracket off the bidon mounts. A great pump for varying your tyre pressure for sealed vs. sand roads. Get the HP version for any high pressure tyres, HV for bigger tyre widths.

triaesthete

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 12:24:13 pm »
Andy,
are you refering to the Barley Super C saddlebag?  http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/carradice-super-c-barley-saddlebag-9ltr-prod28663/
If so I can measure one for you. I think from reading about these on other forums Carradice dimensions can be er, wrong or individual bags may vary. They are VERY "hand made" but in a curiously pleasing way.
Cheers
Ian

Andybg

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 12:40:53 pm »
Yes Ian that is the one I am considering.

I need to pick up something to use as a defacto bag for the bike to carry at all times. I carry a lot of things I need in the rear panniers, but I occasionaly run without them if I am planning on just a quick joy ride. That is the time you suddenly find there is something you need that you just dont have.

If you could let me know the measurement I can have a look and see what pump I can fit.

How have you found it? I considered the bar bag in combination but having never run with a barbag it is a big investment to find that I just dont like loosing sight of my front wheel.

I am over in the UK for 2 weeks the beginning of November so this will be my big cycle shopping trip for the year.

Regards

Andy

Cambirder

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 03:18:04 pm »
I am pretty sure the photo on that SJS link is wrong as it seems to show the bigger Super C bag, and what they are calling the Barley is the Audax bag. At least I hope so I just ordered one. I'll let you know the dimensions when it turns up.

triaesthete

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 04:35:40 pm »
Hi Andy,
the main pocket is 280mm across as it sits on the bike. A slightly longer pump may squeeze in but it would bulge into the outer pockets.

Cambirder, the Thorn picture is correct. That is what I got two weeks ago. It is dinky. Things are confused by the Carradice website that calls it an audax and has a photo that makes it look like a 1/6 scale action man accessory  ::) http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=product&under=type&product_id=115  But most retailers call it a Super C Barley as it is the same size as a traditional Barley and this is what, I think, Peter White called it when he first commissioned them for the US market and we couldn't have them. The straight Super C is a monster @ 23l.

It is a really nice bag though and great for leaning against dry stone walls.
Cheers
Ian

jags

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 04:51:01 pm »
that's a really nice piece of kit there Ian love carradice bags.
at the moment i'm using my ortlieb barbag on the rear (bagman support) the camper is just to big for day rides. ;)

ooops sorry Andy got carried away there for a moment. ::)

Andybg

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 05:28:52 pm »
Have you got a picture of that jags.

It is the one area I think ortlieb lets itself down. No saddle bag akin to a carradice

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 05:57:11 pm »
The straight Super C is a monster @ 23l.

That's what's on my bike:

Andybg

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 07:44:53 pm »
Lovely Jim

I must say your bike has been a great inspiration. How have you found the bar bag  and also while quizing you - is that comfort bars you have on there - and again what are your thoughts?

My cycling is a bit like yours in that I rarely do more than a 3-4 hour ride and for pleasure and utility

jags

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 08:30:35 pm »
Have you got a picture of that jags.

It is the one area I think ortlieb lets itself down. No saddle bag akin to a carradice

Andy theres a picture of it somewhere on the forum .(Dan to the rescue).
the problem with the camper bag , when it's not full, ish it will flop on each side of the rack and i dont have a lot of saddle height on my Raleigh and its next to impossible to stiffen the inside of the bag, believe me i've tried.
but on overnighters it's most defo the best bag ,unbelievable the amount of gear you can get in there.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 09:38:13 pm »
theres a picture of it somewhere on the forum .(Dan to the rescue).
Hi, jags and Andy!

Nope, I came up empty for any photos of jags' Carradice Camper on his Sherpa. Lots of discussion about it, but the only photo I can find shows jags' Sherpa with the Carradice Rack Pack mounted, here:
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3981.msg18235#msg18235

I went through your Ireland tour pics, and didn't see it there, 'cos you were running panniers at the time. I'll keep my eyes open; I'm sure I've seen it...

Best,

Dan.

Cambirder

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 09:57:27 pm »

Cambirder, the Thorn picture is correct. That is what I got two weeks ago. It is dinky. Things are confused by the Carradice website that calls it an audax and has a photo that makes it look like a 1/6 scale action man accessory  ::) http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=product&under=type&product_id=115  But most retailers call it a Super C Barley as it is the same size as a traditional Barley and this is what, I think, Peter White called it when he first commissioned them for the US market and we couldn't have them. The straight Super C is a monster @ 23l.

It is a really nice bag though and great for leaning against dry stone walls.
Cheers
Ian

Thanks for that, the 2 pictures look totally different, and the Carradice image looks a totally different colour. I just assumed Carradice's picture was the more accurate one. Combined with my Super C bar bag I thought this set up would be perfect for the 200k rides I will be attempting through the winter months. Just ordered a nice pair of Northwave Celsius winter boots as well to keep my toes toasty, although that probably guarantees a mild winter.

il padrone

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 12:13:31 am »
For Audax rides I use the Carradice SQR Tour and find it a very capacious bag. Sometimes I use it with a handlebar bag.

http://www.carradice.co.uk/products/type/sqrtour