Author Topic: What is the right touch-up paint for a glitter blue XTC?  (Read 5395 times)

JWestland

What is the right touch-up paint for a glitter blue XTC?
« on: October 05, 2012, 02:20:25 pm »
Hi -

So SJS has this:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/humbrol-enamel-paint-prod4287/

My XTC has a colour like so:

http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/thornpdf/CP148XtcTestScreen.pdf

What colour is a match?

And also can anybody advice some good rust killer? There's is a tiny touch of rust on one of the big scratches on the top tube/top of seat post and in wet and sea-salt-wind laden Belfast I want to be safe rather than sorry.

Tx ^_^
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

Andybg

Re: What is the right touch-up paint for a glitter blue XTC?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 04:26:39 pm »
Any car shop will sell decent rust killer. I prefer the jelly type to the liquid as I think it does a better job of staying put. I find they all seem to work well if given enough time to react properly.

Cheers

Andy

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 08:14:17 pm »
[Doh! 'Phone rang, I got distracted, and posted this to the wrong thread. Apologies if you get multiple announcements of a new post with the same title...it should have been here from the start]

Hi Jawine!

One of the best resources for bicycle touch-up paint I've found is nail polish (varnish). Now that a wider range of colors is available, I even found a sparkly metallic blue that is a dead-on match for the "Ice-Blue Metallic" color of my 1983/84 Centurion ProTour. Shisedo of Japan (spendy at USD$9/bottle!) came through for me in a match for the "Pearlized Maroon" with micronized gold-flake inclusions of my 1980 Centurion Pro Tour and Urban Decay came up with a superb match for my 1989 Mitaya 1000LT's "Light Metallic Smoke". The nice thing is (in Danneauxville, anyway) you can buy the bottle, take it to the door, shake it well, and hold the clear-glass container against your bike paint and see if it's a match in outdoors lighting. If not, the stores I've found were very willing to do an exchange so long as the bottle remained unopened.

If you go this route, don't forget...many commercial paints are sprayed over an undercoat, and this undercoat can alter the appearance of the final finish. You may need to dab on a spot of light grey or even rust-red (known here as "hot rod primer red") undercoat before touching-up if you are to get a perfect match. You might also wish to coat the final job with a dab of clear nail polish to duplicate the clear coats so often used on commercial wet-paint frames or to match the high gloss of the more recent powdercoats. My blue Cent was a real challenge, because the frame was fully chromed, then painted in five successive stages; it is hard to match that "depth" with a simple dab of color, but I got very, very close using a lot of care.

In 1989 when my Miyata was produced, the US market was in the grip of Miami Vice, a popular television show about drug interdiction, set in Florida. "Sonny" and "Crockett" suddenly became popular baby names, and we were plagued with pastel palettes of juxtaposed turquoise, teal, and aqua along with orange, pink, and sea-blue. Guys wore unlined white suits over scoop-neck pastel Tees and forgot to wear socks with their loafers. And...bicycles -- including my poor Miyata 1000LT -- were factory-painted to match. The base coat was a lovely metallic "smoke", but the transfers...oh, my. They were white, but interspersed were pink and orange and blue triangles, dashes, and color blocks; the most glaring were large pink triangles in place of the "Y" in Miyata. I used a 5 "0" brush and xylene as a thinner (xylene is the universal solvent for nail varnish) to re-create the lettering I substituted more subdued colors using metallic nail varnish in jewel tones. You can see for yourself in the photo below. I used to scratch-build model cars (even made molds and cast the tires from various forms of synthetic rubber) and hand-lettered them after painting, so the practice came in handy. Sadly, adventure touring on rough roads and too much shop work have made a mess of my fine motor control ("That's handwriting? You're a doctor, right?" is what I often hear now, but won calligraphy awards in high school), but I can still do a decent job on repairing chips and the odd scratch or scuff.

Don't forget, Jawine, clear-coat rubbing compound is your friend. Much of what makes a bicycle paint job look ratty magically disappears once the old wet-paint is cut and leveled, then repolished and waxed properly.

Retouching an old bike is also a golden opportunity to create a head badge if the original was only a transfer. The one you see below is a wood nymph, a play on my family surname. Jawine, you have such great artistic talent, this would be a cinch for you and the results would be spectacular, I know. I made this one from hammered heavy foil over a pre-cast pewter buck. Since I didn't make the original pewter buck, I can't claim full credit, but the foil version worked nicely for my headbadge. The backing is a piece of shaped polycarbonate, which is soft and easily shaped/worked/formed, mounted on industrial-strength 5mil adhensive foam-tape. I put it together one rainy afternoon when I was bored. Years later, I saw a nearly identical piece (the nymph) in stamped and plated steel when I took my sister to a bead-shop...ready to go for the princely sum of USD59¢. I bought several in case mine needed replacement! They must have used the same pewter master to stamp it.

As for rust-stopper, I completely agree with Andy; all can do a decent job, allowing for the individual formula/form ("Follow The Direction" is a good idea). My favorite is Ospho, available here: http://www.ospho.com/ There's a number of essentially similar products available in the UK and EU that will do the job.

All the best,

Dan. (who knows more about nail varnish than he ever imagined he might...)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 09:26:45 pm by Danneaux »

JWestland

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 11:29:26 am »
LOL are you feel very metrosexual now Dan? :D

I touched up another bike with nail polish but hmmm not a great match! I think the best thing to do for me is to contact SJS and ask if they still stock the match for the XTC paint.

If so "happy days". And get a bit of rustkiller in, so he may do another few years before a costly (and slow, often weeks waiting) wet repaint.

Kuba

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 12:50:25 pm »
I bet they don't stock it! I asked SJSC once for touch up paint for my RT and they said the colour will be slightly different for each batch of frames! As such, they wouldn't supply paint and advised going to a car paint shop (who didn't match the paint very well I must say).

jags

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 07:21:36 pm »
as long as you treat the rust mark a colour match is not all that important.
but a good paint shop (CAR) will defo get a match for you.
it did my sherpa.

JWestland

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 10:31:45 am »
PLAN there's a garage nearby :)

Wait...a garage might actually be able to respray the whole thing too! Same with a motor bike shop!

Might be cheaper than Condor which will incur a high shipping, then a long wait etc. as there's a guy printing decals on e-bay, as long as you give him a file he makes em. And I so happen to know my way around computer drawing programs...hehehe.

Andybg

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 11:58:49 am »
While your playing on your computer do you fancy practising on a set for my Nomad?

I think Thorn must be about the only bike company that you cnt readily buy transfers for.

jags

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 12:14:38 pm »
yeah i was thinking when i get my sherpa painted how am i gonna get new decals.

JWestland

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 12:34:58 pm »
They don't sell them at all? Some people claim they do.

Bizarre, so there's a guy on e-bay that prints them, I need to get his details.

Check e-bay too, there's shops that do decals of many brands.

It's a fiddly job though as you need exact sizes, it's basically tracing an image on the PC. Are there any flat images of Thorn decals? Are they willing to send a picture file or anything?

Cos it's a tad time consuming unfortunately to "bite your teeth on" from a decal pic, but with a flat file it's not as bad, I just need to trace it.

jags

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 01:02:27 pm »
emm lot of hassle so  ::)
when i got my raleigh resprayed the guy hand painted or maybe airbrushed the raleigh logo excellent bit of work but sorry to say he's retired now.
theres a young lad in cork making a name for himself, a lot of the racing crown gets there bikes resprayed with him 240 euro, argos charges £275 waiting time 1 month approx.

JWestland

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 02:58:46 pm »
£194, that's way better!

Pays for the train ticket and some  ;D

I shall nag SJS see if they got any files with decals as I can do the rest. I really just need a flat graphic and a place to print the file.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 03:16:38 pm »
Hi Jawine!

My, it woud be wonderful if your considerable artistic skills could result in some Thorn transfers. New cottage industry for you, Jawine!

As a reminder, Thorn used Microsoft's BrushScript for the model names ("Sherpa", etc.) on the Mk2 Sherpas, at least in Summer 2011 and for many models, considerably before that; I believe they were used on the Rohloff-hubbed bikes of that same general era as well. I believe they used MS Stencil for the Nomad Mk2. These are noted somewhere in the Forum archives. Here we go; from 2004:
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=357.msg2265#msg2265
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=357.msg2266#msg2266

Thorn's actual logo has evolved through a variety of ovals and such; even at one time, simply bold lettering (tandems, triplets). The best source may be scaling from a PDF brochure original, though you would need to secure permission from Thorn/SJSC/Robin, as there would be copyright issues to resolve.

I went through the decal-making research when planning my Folder project (the full-sus, 20"-wheeled folding touring bike I have brazed except for some details like cable stops). It is possible to make your own. There is inkjet-compatible white, water-soluble transfer stock that can go in a common PC printer, then you spray it with a fixative to prevent bleeding when you shoot it with wet-paint clear-coat (needn't be used if you use a clear powder overcoat and the stuff seems fairly heat-tolerant).  I have some of the stock here in several sheets, but I don't see a watermark on the back, so I can't tell you the brand name. I purchased it several years ago, some at an art supply store, the rest at a hobby shop, where I found it in the model-R/C airplane section. The sample in the shop appeared a bit um..."un-vibrant" till it was overshot with the clear, the colors came up much more vivid. I tried printing a small section with HP printer/ink and found HP's inks are formulated with too much oil; they tried to bead on the surface. Had much better luck with my Canon inkject/bubblejet printer.

Ah. Here we go: Google using "Inkjet decal paper" as the search string. A custom search here: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=inkjet+decal+paper&oq=inkjet+decal+paper&gs_l=hp.3..0l9j0i5.32234.33851.2.33995.11.11.0.0.0.0.308.2699.2-8j2.10.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.xJVJ1KlpyK0&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=3266efb6d9a31251&biw=1173&bih=610

Hope this helps.

Best,

Dan.

JWestland

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 04:12:25 pm »
Manfriend knows a shop that can print in England, but need to check if it still does it.

PDF brochure..PLAN! That could work! For some stuff, there's a ton of different decals.

Let me speak to them though, maybe they don't mind files being made which we can share around. Cos it's not a thing you can make a lot of cash with, and low numbers printing is expensive, after all they have a shop to run.

But maybe they don't mind fair use of the files for individuals. Especially as their bikes last much longer than the transfers  ;D

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 04:23:14 pm »
Only fly in the ointment I can see (and the very reason cited by some manufacturers for *not* making decal sets available) is they might worry about the transfers winding up on non-Thorns, but that doesn't seem very realistic, given a Thorn's unique "look". Besides, there's a line of cheap kids' bikes I see from time to time on eBay.co.uk branded boldly as "Thorns". Not the same as ours!

I have a 1972 Windsor Professional made by Acer-Mex that used full Cinelli lugsets and was chromed in the same way. There's a cottage industry in repainting and reselling them as faux Cinellis at Cinelli prices. In fact, so many Windsors have been redone as Cinellis there are entire threads on the 'Net devoted to telling the difference between them:
http://cinellionly.blogspot.com/2011/11/distinguishing-cinelli-from-windsor.html

No such worries with a Thorn, I'd think.

Looking for'd to hearing how it goes, Jawine; best of luck!

Dan.