Author Topic: Ergon GC3-GP5 with Thorn comfort carbon bars  (Read 2913 times)

handson29

Ergon GC3-GP5 with Thorn comfort carbon bars
« on: September 26, 2012, 01:22:01 pm »
Hi,

I recently acquired a 2nd hand thorn raven tour which had carbon comfort bars on it.  I understand these are actually an alloy bar wrapped in carbon.  I really want to add bar ends to the end of the bars as i like that position especially when climbing.  The Ergon GC3 (now called GP5) seem just the ticket and get good reviews.  Couple of questions, you aren't supposed to fit them to carbon bars as i guess the problem is the bar end clamp may crush the bars.  Has anyone got this combo or tried and failed to do it?
The other issue i can see is whether the sweptback nature of the bars means the bar end is still at least parallel to the stem or pointing in towards it (rather than outwards).
Any advice would be gratefully received.

thanks

Erudin

Re: Ergon GC3-GP5 with Thorn comfort carbon bars
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 05:01:04 pm »
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-carbon-anatomic-bar-ends-the-original-classic-design-black-prod9535/

The page linked above says Thorn Carbon Anatomic Bar Ends can be fitted in the conventional (MTB) position on the ends of the Carbon Comfort bars, or inboard of the brake levers. So I guess it is safe to clamp an ergon GC3 on, I would email/phone Thorn/SJS Cycles to confirm, they have always comprehensively answered any questions I've asked them.

Specification of Thorn Carbon Comfort bar:

A supremely comfortable, lightweight (210g) yet strong, physiotherapist-designed solo comfort bar, made from carbon/Kevlar wrapped 2014 butted ally. Overall 610mm wide, 60mm rise, 180mm straight grip section each side, 100m straight section in centre, 50mm rearward sweep, 25.4mm bar clamp.

Contact Thorn/SJS:

St John St Cycles
91-93 St John Street
Bridgwater
Somerset
TA6 5HX

Tel: 01278-441500  (Int ++44-1278-441500)
Email: sales@sjscycles.com
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 05:32:22 pm by Erudin »

geocycle

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 07:41:11 pm »
I had them on the alu version of comfort bars.  They looked a bit gawky and the total width of the bar was quite wide.  But they did work ok and I was pleased with them.  I've now got them on the straighter track bar which is easier to reduce in width and the ergonomics are better with these big bar ends.

handson29

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 08:30:42 pm »
thanks for the replys, i went ahead and got them.  They just about work but the bars are pretty wide. The ergo grips are really comfy, definitely recommend them.  Will give it a go for a bit but reckon i might end up getting the track bars and using a narrower width.  Probably sell the thorn carbon stubby bar ends to pay for it!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 08:44:40 pm »
Oh! Thanks for the photo; it really helps to see your setup, especially from a "rider's perspective"!

As far as appearance goes, it all looks grand.  The Ergo grips really are nice to the hands, and the bar-ends point much closer to direct-ahead than I would have thought possible.

On the other hand, I can see what you mean about width...the whole setup places one's hands pretty far apart.

Please let us know how you get along with this setup over time, and whether you do indeed choose to go narrower. Many of us ask ourselves these same questions, so it is always helpful to get the word of Experience!

Best,

Dan.