Author Topic: 9 speed too precise?  (Read 16957 times)

KOMPRESSOR

9 speed too precise?
« on: November 05, 2003, 05:31:45 pm »
Why is it I have had to re-tweak the rear gear setup so often on 9spd XT. Yes the hanger is straight and cables are new. Now using 8sp and not suffering any probs. If Shimano go to 10sp on offroad bits its never gonna work beyond the shop door is it? ANYONE ELSE

John

Re: 9 speed too precise?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 09:21:28 pm »
Did you give the cable a good tug outwards in the middle of a long run before final adjustment? I have Dura ace, Ultegra, 105, XT, LX and Déore on road, mountain and mountain tandem and they all work just fine.

timleg

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 01:29:30 pm »
I have similar problems with slightly worn deore, will probably switch to 8 speed as I understand this is compatible

john28july

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 04:48:59 pm »
Hello,
Since last year all three of my bikes (Thorn) have been fitted with 8 speed as I cannot bear the messing about with narrow chains etc. 8 speed is great. I have stocked up with cassettes, rear gears and suchlike so that I can remain 8 speed for as long as possible!
John.
www.pbase.com/john28july

DomT

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 07:41:27 am »
Spotting that this post was started 3 years ago I thought: "maybe it deserves a reply... better late than never!"

I don't think 9 or 10 speed is too accurate, as long as your gear hanger is not damaged, mech is adjusted correctly and cable tension is spot on, it should give you years of accurate shifting.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 06:15:39 am »
A couple of years ago - about the time the original post I was riding a 9speed XT set-up. I too had lots of problems until I tried an Avid Roller-Magic (sp?).  It’s a gismo that sits on the derailleur and acts like a pulley removing the final loop of gear cable.  It works!  For the price - about £8.00 it is defiantly worth a shot if you are having problems with you gearing.

vik

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 06:23:27 am »
I've got 9 speed Shimano bits on my Sherpa and my Surly LHT.  Shifting is crisp and accurate - I rarely have to fiddle with anything and have not had any issues with 9 speed chains.
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com