Author Topic: Leather Saddles  (Read 7855 times)

triaesthete

Re: Leather Saddles
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 01:19:06 am »
Hi Fred
I vaguely recall seeing some Brooks advertorial film on the web where they said they had gone to various titanium suppliers to get parts made and been told it was impossible and would fail without a redesign. They obviously found someone to do it in the end. The cynic in me suspects that the premium price and profit margin afforded by titanium alllows a generous warranty response. Why not ask?
It could/should be a maxim: You can't design for steel and build in titanium. Campag found out the hard way with titanium bottom bracket axles made to the steel pattern; Laurent Fignon had one snap in the TDF! I also know someone who had two premium titanium frames replaced under warranty after the driveside stays fractured...
On topic, I had a B17 that squeaked. I think it was the soft Honey cover that stretched quite quickly and was fretting on the cantle plate. Some warm proofide dripped into that area stopped it.

Steel Brooks question: Is it broken in yet?
Titanium Brooks question: Is it broken yet?
Squeak
Ian

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 02:56:25 am »
Steel Brooks question: Is it broken in yet?
Titanium Brooks question: Is it broken yet?
Squeak

To which I would add...

Late-production Chromed Steel Brooks question: Has it broken yet with high-mileage?
Yowl.

(pic in Post #9 above)

I am pretty convinced a long-layback seatpost that puts the clamp in the center of the rails' fore-aft travel helps prevent a cantlevered load that would otherwise strain the rails when the saddle is mounted on a modern frame with an upright seat tube angle. 'Specially if one also rides on rough roads.

Best,

Dan. (...It just went <pop> and then I had to ride standing!)

Fred A-M

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 05:58:48 pm »
Thanks Ian (and Dan, I'm sure you'd have come up with equally sound/informed advice) for your thoughts and counsel.  I will dig the receipt out, and give 'em a call - it does seem ludicrous that such an expensive product is so prone to breakage - if I don't get a replacement, like others, I won't be going for the tintanium option which has gone up around 70% in price since I bought mine.

Thanks again

Fred

triaesthete

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 08:39:46 pm »
Hi Fred
if they say no there is always this http://www.brooksengland.com/catalogue-and-shop/spareparts/
Good luck
Ian

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 09:50:57 pm »
Saddles are easy to re-rivet after replacing nose-pieces and/or rails, Fred. I've done a number of them myself, and they all turned out well. They do require some planning, but they've always ended up looking as nice or nicer than when I started.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 03:08:54 pm by Danneaux »