Author Topic: your best weather proof gear  (Read 6842 times)

jags

your best weather proof gear
« on: October 02, 2012, 12:07:28 am »
Staying dry on the bike whats your method ;)
today i got soaked right through to my base layer ,my old waterproof jacket died. ::)
ok i have a new waterproof jacket for my next outing , but what about your feet how do you guys manage to keep them bone dry or do you ;)
Head , would you ware an oil hat like the firemen  and fishermen  ware, yellow in colour look's a bit naff  but perfect for the job.
Rain legs or Rain pants ,pants can be slow to get on if your caught in a downpour.
rain legs i've never used .
so any tips lads please share it's the rainy season  ::)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: your best weather proof gear
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 12:43:40 am »
I find that it is hopeless trying to stay dry. I found a great Showers Pass Elite jacket that is really waterproof. But if I use it riding, I just get soaked from sweat. So instead I just wear polyester knit jersey and pants with a nylon jacket - no polyurethane. I just slow down the flow of water and wear enough to stay warm.

I took off my clipless pedals and just use MKS Touring pedals with regular shoes. In nasty weather I wear leather work boots.

These gloves:

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-elkskin-roper-gloves-16.html

are super-nice above freezing!

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 07:33:11 am »
I scrapped my 18 year old Ford Fiesta a few months ago. It finally failed an MOT that cost more than a £100 to pass. Perfect mechanically just the rust got to it. I got £150 for it. I was pretty happy with that.
With that money I bought HALF a set of waterproofs!.
I went for the Gore Fusion GT http://www.bowlandoutdoors.com/outdoor-clothing-store/gore-bike-wear-fusion-2.0-GT-AS-gore-tex-active-shell-jacket-black-JGFUST9900.html and pants.
I wanted something super thin to take up as little room as possible but also as waterproof and breathable as possible. I decided to shell out the money on Gore because I find they honour the guarantee without a quibble.
The Fusion range is fairly tight fitting and aims at road and MTB use.
So far they have both worked perfectly. I like to have long sleeve base layer when using the jacket in warmer conditions because of the feel of the material on my skin. The jacket comes with a hood that when worn with a peaked cap is perfect. I don't wear a helmet so not sure if it will go over one, but the hood does roll into the collar if not needed. It has a Napoleon pocket which can be used as a vent. No other pockets. Not very practical for other uses but better for on the bike.
The pants have various velcro fastenings round the ankle and lower leg to keep them tight and out of the chain. They do not have lower leg openings so you must take off your shoes to put them on. They have a tiny mesh pocket on the back that can be used as a vent but is pretty useless for anything else.
So far they fit the bill for my requirements which is light/packable and keeps me dry.
I also have a pair of gore city overshoes. These are a cross between garters and your normal overshoe. These work perfectly with both my Shimano SPD hiking boots and my Shimano SPD sandals.
The only piece of kit I have not found yet is gloves.
I find the Gore ones don't fit me properly. I'm happy riding in mitts in the rain until it gets cold. Then I'd like something to keep me dry rather than warm.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 12:19:08 pm »
I have been using the dhb brand for trousers and jacket. The Sync jacket is great in the heaviest of rain - has a good quality construction and zips with large zip open under-arm ventilation.

The trousers are dhb Signal trousers with a full length zip so easy to adjust ventilation, put on and off, ant to access pockets. Buy a size up - they don't look that smart but its functionality I was looking for. Good velcro zips on the ankles too. You can find both here (I am not sponsored by Wiggle!).

http://www.wiggle.com

The Endura Deluge gloves are very good and no problems with leaking so far (and we are having a lot of rain!)

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/endura-deluge-waterproof-gloves-black-prod18440

I wear leather walking boots when its wet and intend to go for the Carradice Duxback shoecovers when I get around to it.

http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=product&under=other&product_id=73

A 'skull cap' thermal hat under the Sync jacket hood is good for colder wetter days.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 08:05:08 pm by StuntPilot »

JWestland

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 02:21:04 pm »
Gore Paclite jacket: Keeps rain out, but some problems with condensation if it's really bucketing down. It's a very small light jacket that packs down.

Gore Downhill gloves: A bit tight, go a size up, but toasty warm and keep rain/wind out.

Berghaus trousers with buttons on the side: Just good and opening buttons gives a bit of venting.

Eager Spats calf lengths: Work great with SPDs shoes but go 2 sizes up! Calf length stops water dripping down if you have trousers that don't have velcro.

And a cycling cap...well it keeps the rain out of my eyes at least but it's now drying out at the heater :P
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

jags

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 02:51:22 pm »
got this hat love it http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=51320

i suppose getting wet on day rides and your heading home doesn't much matter if you sweat on the inside.
but on tour well thats a big problem, if you have to hang around for any Length of time you can get very very cold ,that happened to me in France after riding 70 miles in monsoon rain ,worst moment ever it took us an hour to find a hotel to dry off and get warm big lesson learned that day i can tell you.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 04:16:19 pm »
Hi All!

My wet-weather gear strategy keeps evolving, and I am beginning to think I will never be totaly satisfied with it. I've tried pretty much everything and have concluded I likely won't stay "dry" and will just haveto content myself with varying degrees of damp-to-wet -- either from rain or sweat.

For my top half, I've gone the rounds from waterproof-urethane coated jackets to rain capes, to a couple full Gore-Tex suits and DWR jackets (hooded and collared) and am now back to a hoodless, waterproof coated rain jacket with generous pit-zips and a vented cape back, made by REI. It looks like any of the thousands of neon-yellow cycling rain jackets you see here in the Pacific Northwest of 'Merka. Nicely detailed, it has pit zips, a little inside key pocket, and some reflective trim. It cost about $80 and ended up working as well as anything I've owned.

The rain cape I used to commute daily to the first four years at uni was terrible. It vented from below okay, but I got sweat-soaked where it lay across my back. The front was secured by brake lever loops and caused the occasional Bad Moment when side-drafting city buses in traffic to make up for the terrible wind-resistance of the cape. The thing also caught wind like a barn door -- even from the side! I used it with waterproof knee-length backless gaiters that also covered my shoes. I sold the lot to a fellow student. She rode more slowly sitting fully upright, and it worked great for her.

The Gore-Tex stuff all came from Early Winters in Seattle. They were an early American adopter of the material, and their construction and designs were top-notch. However, back in the early days of Gore-Tex (1980 or so), the process of building garments with it was not fully refined. Seam tapes came off after awhile, and delamination of the membrane was common -- it looked like blisters. EW did an outstanding job backing their lifetime warranty when mine failed, and hand-made me a replacement suit using the old one as a pattern long after they stopped making it. The jacket had shielded pit zips and a very handy "tail" that could be tucked up inside or dropped for bottom coverage when riding in a full-tuck or could be used as a seat when off the bike. That really came in handy, because the lower half of the suit consisted of seatless 3/4 pants. The idea being that you wouldn't want to sit on something unbreathable while riding atop your leather saddle. The lower 1/4 (feet and shins) were kept dry by booties with waterprood coated-nylon bottoms and Gore-Tex shafts.

Gore-Tex worked...okay...for me so long as I was dry (remember, this was a rain jacket) and it could pass moisture as vapor and/or be vented with the zips. The problems came with the rain -- once coated with liquid water, it no longer passed moisture vapor, soon steamed up inside, and I got about as wet with sweat as I did from a much cheaper coated jacket that required less care.

I now use lightweight ripstop nylon rain pants from Stearns (via Wal-Mart) that have snaps at the bottom and an elastic waist. They work pretty well, breathe to a degree, and the DWR (Durable Water Repellent) finish can be renewed either with spray or by tossing them in a hot cothes dryer for 20 minutes. They were cheap at USD$19. I sewed and sealed my own shoe covers from coated nylon with velcro back closures and an cinch-cord under the arch. They worked surprisingly well, but eventually the coating came off and now they aren't even a little waterproof. I don't relish remaking them, so I am on the lookout for some sort of replacement that will work with toes clips and last longer than the stretch-polyurethane coated ones. No luck so far.

My hands get some Early Winters lobster-claw Gore-Tex overmitts I modified by adding a matching Gore-Tex gauntlet. They still work great 32 years later. I wonder if they'll ever wear out!

My head gets a coated lycra helmet cover, and that means I wear my covered helmet in camp, since the jacket has no hood. It works okay, but can become too-warm quickly. My first cover was coated nylon, but didn't last. I found a brand-new JandD coated nylon cover in the traffic lane one day, but it doesn't fit ideally. Next up was a Louis Garneau, made of coated lycra. The latest is a neon-yellow (visibility!) Sugoi Zap ( http://www.rei.com/product/756396/sugoi-zap-helmet-cover ); I may add a tail to keep water out of my collar, something like this: http://www.rei.com/product/804979/showers-pass-bike-helmet-cover The stretch-lycra covers really have it al over other materials for fit on the helmet; no flapping or wrinkling, which is nice.

So, there you have it. Anyone know of some good, waterproof or DWR shoe covers that work with toe clips/straps and are durable?  Thanks in advance.

Best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 06:23:35 pm »
If staying dry on the bike is not practical, and not essential anyway given the heat generated from cycling, the key seems to be how to manage getting off the bike. If one stops long enough to cool down, then damp-to-wet clothes can be a real killer.

Maybe some kind of waterproof poncho as a portable shelter, beneath which one can change into the dry warm clothes one has secured in a bag? Tents and hotels always better, of course, but as a minimum?

I have very little touring experience so I really appreciate the opportunity to learn from others, since I do hope to keep extending my range!

I took my Carradice Pro-Route kit out in the rain for a couple hours today. Mostly not too bad. Going down hill especially the thing flops around a lot and the tail flips up and leaves me exposed, so I was constantly checking that and adjusting The waist strap was under my generous spare tire in the front but would ride up to mid-back behind. That of course kept the flopping about within limits. As I rode I was speculating about possible arrangements, maybe some kind of break-away clip to pull the cape tail down to the haul loop on my saddlebag?

I can definitely believe that on a more demanding ride one's back could get drenched in sweat and ruin things. I did get a blast or two of wind too and yeah having that sail spread out to catch it gets a bit frightening, and then the wet roads covered in freshly fallen leaves amplify the danger. But hey I got out for a ride in the rain!

jags

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 06:55:34 pm »
findind camsites and hotels for that matter is not always easy, ok if the sun is shining and you just finished a great days cycling you can take your time about getting somewhere to camp for the night.
but if your wet and cold and its late evening you could be in a lot of bother  ,
god i'm a cheery soul  ;D ;D
so yeah stopping early enough to change into dry warm cloths is a great idea.

julk

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 07:45:34 pm »
I must be lucky being in the UK, I seem to have had lots of chances to try my gear out in the rain.

I have tried a lot of things but what works for me is Paramo upper body clothing (up to 3 layers), Ground Effect shorts or trousers with RainLegs for normal rain and Paramo Velez adventure trousers for shocking conditions.
My head has a Vaude proofed/breathable helmet cover on a helmet, hands have waterproof gloves - Sealskin summer gloves or Altura winter gloves depending on how cold it is, feet have Shimano sandals with bare feet for warm rain and Sealskin socks for cold rain. I might crack and wear shoes, socks and over shoes in very bad weather.

My tent acts as an outer layer and must be waterproof with fly first pitching or all at once - Hilleberg tents do well in the UK. Sleeping in a tent on cold wet soggy ground is made comfortable by an Exped DownMat and a down sleeping bag.

For a gentle ride in no wind and pouring rain then my trusty Carradice cape may be brought out of storage and used with a helmet and cover giving a nice controlled climate effect under it. But difficult to use in any wind.
Julian.

jags

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 07:54:38 pm »
Julk you would need to take out a mortgage to buy that paramo gear. :o

julk

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 09:37:07 pm »
Jags,
Paramo is waterproof, easily washed/reproofed, breathable, warm (maybe too warm), comfortable and silent.
Paramo is also expensive to buy, but so is most other good cycling gear and Paramo gear comes with a hefty warranty.
I have had repairs done with no charge under warranty, an alteration which I paid for and a warranty question for replacing a zip where I was told 5 years is the limit for replacing a zip for free!
I have just had that garment repaired in a simpler way at Scottish Mountain Gear for a lower cost than Paramo quoted.

I am a happy bunny with my Paramo gear and 5 out of my family of 7 (me, wife & 3 offspring) walk around wearing it, 2 remain to be convinced, but then some children are always awkward ;D
Yes it is expensive, but it has proved to be cost effective for me.
Julian.

jags

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 09:41:35 pm »
Julian,
i hear you loud and clear but it's just way out of my price range more's the pity.

Andre Jute

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 10:15:11 pm »
I have a cycling cloak I imported from The Netherlands at vast expense. Don't be tempted. You can be hot above and wet below, and those are your choices. The hood is cut for wearing a helmet and useless without. Even with the peripheral cutouts, the hood isn't good on traffic, and the cape is a handful in crosswinds. The cape I have is waterproof for walking. It has handloops for cycling, a large usable front pocket, and folds up into the front pocket, exposing an elastic that doubles as a strap for carrying and a belt for carrying it around your waist if you don't have other luggage or a rack. Not impressed.

My best wet wear is a yellow plastic jacket bought for €15 at a sale at Dunne's Stores (a sub-M&S Irish chain)when I noticed it had a styling flap under which I could punch vent holes. Has worked for years for me, until recently i got oil on it. Often mistaken for an Assos jacket, probably came off the same production line.

I've found that on icy days angora longjohns from Lidl, which on all other days are impossibly scratchy, suddenly become my new best friend.

Three things essential in wet weather gear for cyclists:

1. All zips on jackets must be operable with one hand, which means stifferened flaps, which means weight, but which also means there isn't loose flapping material to get caught in zips.

2. Rain over-trousers must be gusseted at the bottom to get them on over shoes, and then have a means of narrowing the bottom of the leg again by either a zip or velcro straps to stop it flapping and depositing water everywhere.

3. Jackets must have long tails to keep your bottom dry.

Andre Jute

bobs

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 05:33:52 pm »
Hi Jags,

I'm with Julk as to the benefits of paramo gear. You can get it on Ebay from paramo extras for a fraction of the cost. In the long term its worth every penny.

bob