Author Topic: Cheap, working "orange box" stoves on eBay  (Read 2400 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Cheap, working "orange box" stoves on eBay
« on: September 09, 2012, 01:55:14 am »
Hi All!

I've noticed when a new product is introduced on eBay -- particularly those manufactured in China -- the offerings go from a trickle to a flood and prices drop dramatically (classic law of supply-and-demand). This is happening again at the moment with what I call "orange box" stoves...tiny cartridge-fuel stoves that burn a propane-butane mix and come packed in a small orange plastic storage box.

When the price dropped to USD$3, I bit and one was delivered last week (total cost with shipping: USD$8.31). I grabbed a SnowPeak 110g cartridge at REI for USD$4.50 (more than the stove cost!) and I was in business. The stove is made of stainless steel, anodized aluminum, and brass and has a reliable piezo-electric igniter, so no matches are necessary. The throttle handle stays cool, and the stove adjusts from simmer to Volcano and ratably in-between. It folds up to fit in the 80x55x40mm box, and weighs 118g/4.16oz on my scale -- about .25oz more than the competition in the box, but equal without the case.

Everything works fine. The cartridge can be detached for more compact storage once the burner unit cools to the touch, and the lot can be packed and transported easily; the stove fits nicely in a shirt-front pocket with room to spare. A 110g cartridge (nominally 4oz) is good for about 45 minutes of average cooking.

No interest in the unnamed stove maker or any of the sellers; just thought it was a surprisingly good little stove for cheap, if you need something small to tuck into the corner of your handlebar or saddlebag for a spot of tea while on the road (as I do). You'd need a small windscreen but those can be rigged or purchased easily enough. Just do an eBay search for "piezoelectric camp stove" or "cartridge stove" and you should find one of dozens currently on-offer. This is my first cartridge stove; usually I run liquid fuels, and prefer my .75oz/21g homemade Heineken beer-can meths stove for lightweight boiling, but this isn't a bad alternative for USD$8 -- USD$12.50 fueled-up and ready to use.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 02:11:50 am by Danneaux »

jags

Re: Cheap, working "orange box" stoves on eBay
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 04:21:25 am »
say dan can you grab me a couple of them. ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 04:31:32 am »
...can you grab me a couple of them

Yep. Just let me know for sure how many. PM sent.

All the best,

Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 08:51:34 pm »
 >:(
Humm...
Not reached this side of the pond yet.
Maybe someone can drop a few off as they fly over the UK to USA?
 ;)
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 09:51:34 pm »
Hi Matt!

There's a whole bunch on US eBay here:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sadis=200&_ipg=50&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sacat=0&_samihi=&_samilow=&_fpos=&_ftrt=901&_udhi=&_oexkw=&_sabdhi=&_udlo=&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_adv=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_okw=&_fsct=&_kw=Outdoor+Gas+Burner+Portable+Stove+Camping

Most have piezoelectric ignition, but it pays to check, as not all do. I used the search string,
"Outdoor Gas Burner Portable Stove Camping" (no quotes).

I just checked; they're also on eBay.co.uk using the same search string. Here's a custom search, all ready to go:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=Outdoor+Gas+Burner+Portable+Stove+Camping&_sacat=0

People paying with Euros or GBP benefit from the exchange rate by getting them from the US eBay, probably enough to offset shipping, since they all dispatch from China and most ship worldwide. If you get one from a vendor promising free shipping, then you're really ahead.

This is the vendor I bought from:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120830232719?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

These are cheap little stoves and I bought mine on a lark, figuring if it didn't burn-off my eyebrows and I could adjust the flame so it would actually simmer, I'd be happy. I was happily surprised to find the piezo ignitor was reliable and the build quality on mine was very good -- equal, I'd say, to what I've seen on the shelves at REI for about USD$39. I did have to take a file to one pot support to remove a small burr so the pot would sit level, but three strokes of the file and it was done.

Hope this helps.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 01:06:40 am by Danneaux »