Author Topic: A New Rohloff Question  (Read 7868 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: A New Rohloff Question
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 12:23:46 am »
My rohloff is currently w/ Cycle-Monkey...I'll report back their conclusions.

Oh! Outstanding update, Pete; looking forward to hearing all.

Best,

Dan.

keleher

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 10:07:46 pm »
The hub lip seals greatly affect the ability to drive the pedals round..however what I notice in the video is the way in which the hub comes to a stop quite quickly, again in my experience I have found the main cause of this to be main bearing misalignment. The bearing on the non drive side is fixed and the bearing on the drive side is floating only being held in place by the output drive and the drive sprocket. The same symptoms can also be seen if the quick release/ wheel nut have been over tightened.

Initially I would check the later first, then if it still remains "tight" and doesn't freewheel any better then I would take a rubber hammer filled with lead shot and hit the non drive side axle a couple or three times fairly hard, I have had to d this many times on the occasions I have stripped a hub down, what this will do is eliminate any misalignment between the two main bearings causing internal stresses to occur..

So my wheel and returned from service (unrelated issue). Right out of the cardboard box, the friction was much worse than even before. After trying a few other things, I took expr's suggestion of whacking it (w/ a rubber mallet). Three times, not huge whacks, but sharp hits.

Now the wheel is much improved, to the point where it is clearly better than shown in the video.

Much thanks to all,

pete

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 10:12:02 pm »
Pete!

Wonderful news to hear the friction-related issues were cleared with a careful hammer-whack. Very worthwhile filing away for future reference.

So, now the bike is restored, any plans for a tour?  So nice to have things working better than before.

Best,

Dan.

expr

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 11:54:02 pm »
Thats great news pete, i know it sounds bad but it really does do the trick, basically when the hub has been opened and refitted the main bearing (floating) at the drive side can sometimes go in slightly squiffy and can only be alleviated by shocking with a rubber mallet...

great job well done .

keleher

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 02:34:32 am »

So, now the bike is restored, any plans for a tour?
Best,

Dan.

Oh yes, I have a tentative ok from the boss to spend next July doing the cascades, probably Vancouver to Reno. Be hard to wait that long, but it should be worth it.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 03:29:30 am by keleher »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 03:30:10 am »
...next July doing the cascades
Oh, that'll be wonderful, Pete. I'm not sure what kind of Spring and Summer we'll have next year (there's been such a change in our summers the last several years), but you should have good weather in July. I'll be returning through the Cascades about that time myself, probably on the slopes of Emigrant Pass on the west side of Diamond Peak by then.

You'll surely have some beautiful scenery to enjoy.

I hope your trip goes well, and look forward to hearing more as your plans shape up in the fullness of time.

You'll have a fine bike to do it on; me, too!

Best,

Dan.