Author Topic: New B&M IQ2 headlight with 'bar mounted remote USB charging  (Read 64894 times)

jags

Re: New B&M IQ2 headlight with 'bar mounted remote USB charging
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 10:24:23 pm »
thanks for that looks like a great light expensive but what the hell if it does what it's supposed to do it will be worth it.

George Hetrick

• retired software engineer in Austin, TX, USA
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 11:55:45 pm »
Dang it! Even though I told Bilenky to order the light 2 months ago, apparently they didn't get around to it -- so they say a 1-2 month wait.

waaaaah!!!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2013, 12:22:39 am »
Ohhhhh, George!

The sweet agony of it all!

Sympathies!

Nothing is worse than waiting...except waiting in vain.

All the best,

Dan. (...who, as a kid, couldn't figure why the mail truck didn't deliver his whatzit 10 minutes after the envelope with the cereal box-tops went out...and who still can't!)

il padrone

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2013, 10:06:47 am »
bike24 offer it for just 124.90 Euro (including shipping to Australia), but delivery date unknown.

:-\

[edit] Just ordered it. We'll see what the story is about delivery timeline.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 11:43:45 am by il padrone »

jags

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2013, 01:56:07 pm »
wow thats a great price  8)

il padrone

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2013, 10:29:04 am »
There is some very tricky electronic circuitry happening in the Luxos U

Quote from: Peter White Cycles
And here is the Luxos U beam at low speed. It reduces the power to the primary LED and sends it to two other LEDs which project light close to the bike and to each side. This happens automatically, and gradually. In other words, there isn't a speed above which the distance beam is on, and just below that the near beam switches on. Oh no. At about 15kph, as you go slower, the distant beam gradually dims, while the near beam gradually increases. It's a very smooth transition as your speed changes.

Taken with super-wide 16mm lens, panorama beam at <15kmh. It lights up the whole car-park!! ;D
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 10:30:52 am by il padrone »

Andre Jute

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2013, 06:36:16 pm »
Thanks for that, Il Padrone. It's looking more and more like a quantum step forward even over the Cyo. The question is, how will the other lamps lurking just over the horizon be better, rather than just cheaper. €124 or whatever is around 25% of the price of a decent enough mountain bike!

Andre Jute

jags

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2013, 06:55:26 pm »
so you guys that know about dynamo and head lights are the Bush n Muller reckoned to be the  overall best.how does the other brands stand up .

George Hetrick

• retired software engineer in Austin, TX, USA
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2013, 08:46:26 pm »
The Schmidt eDelux at 70lux is also excellent. It's what I've been using.

il padrone

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2013, 08:52:14 pm »
The Philips is rated by some as having a better beam than either the Cyo or the Edelux. Then there are the Axa lights (Nano, others?). I've never seen either of these in the flesh.

jags

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2013, 10:12:45 pm »
thanks lads good info  at the end of the day it's all about who shines the brightest ;)
i shall bide my time..

il padrone

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2013, 10:35:25 pm »
I'm pretty sure that currently B&M are 'kick-ar$e' when it comes to development of lighting technology for the market. There will always be something new on the horizon, but B&M always seem to be on top of it.

Buy what you need, when you need it. Waiting for 'the next big thing' is an endless loop.

il padrone

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2013, 12:58:23 pm »
Quite a detailed review of the light is given here - it sounds very promising.

This comment sounded quite interesting:

What I particularly like is that because the dynamo charges the internal battery and not the light directly, you get full brightness when stopped (e.g. at traffic lights or when fixing a nightime puncture). This is a huge improvement over my Solidlights 'standlight' which was pretty feeble in comparison.

Also as I suspected, the light can be operated directly from the control switch on the rear of the lamp. So even if your handlebar remote switch fails, gets lost or damaged, you still have a functional light.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 01:08:49 pm by il padrone »

jags

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2013, 03:48:13 pm »
the tester seems well pleased and tested them against a few top lights as well so great news for the new kid on the block. ;)

Andre Jute

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2013, 05:08:11 pm »
.... as you increase speed, the beam moves forward lighting up a longer strip in front of you.

This overcomes a serious complaint with the Cyo, all models, that it lit up the road in approximately the right place only at one speed.

Ugly bugger though, the Luxos. And the USB fitting is awkward and ugly too. Mind you, I managed, eventually, to hide most of the ugly wiring of the pedelec, but that was the most frustrating of fitting it, and it looks like the USB Luxos has the same problem.

In theory you can add internal cable runs to the tubes of a bike, but I'm leery of doing it on a steel bike. On the other hand, the bottom of the steering tube is open, and the top of an aheadset can be fixed with a hollow bolt, or the steerer can be fixed in the head tube by a lockring around the outside, as I've done, and then it is hollow all the way up, a perfect conduit.

Andre Jute

Andre Jute