Author Topic: New B&M IQ2 headlight with 'bar mounted remote USB charging  (Read 64895 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
New B&M IQ2 headlight with 'bar mounted remote USB charging
« on: August 29, 2012, 10:07:27 pm »
Hi All!

I see Busch und Muller are offering a new headlight with an integrated handlebar-mounted switch/selector that also has a USB charging port. This post could have been filed under the "Lighting and Electronics" board, but the inclusion of a USB/remote made the "Battery Charging from a Dynamo" child board the logical choice, so here it is.

Translated from German by Google, the description reads...
The first LUMOTEC with IQ2 technology. Gigantic achievement. New features. Never has the desire to light was so great.

IQ2 technology

With the new light and reflector design puts Busch & Müller the bar for Dynamo LED headlight higher than ever: 70 lux (e-bike version 140 lux) light box twice as wide as before, by a multiple of large, homogeneous maximum. Dynamo Generated light penetrates into a new dimension - so wide, so wide, so spotlessly bright

Panorama near beam

Excellent, the light field and wide like never before. Immediately before the bike, and even next to the bike over to the side of the road beyond Technology: additional special LEDs, electronically controlled.

Floodlight

The full power of all light sources. Ideal for difficult sections in deep darkness. Be activated by pressing a button. Function in bright light: headlight flasher. In darkness, in as full light.

USB charging option

USB socket integrated in the handlebar switch. Loading USB mobile devices (mobile phone, GPS, MP3 player) with USB power. In the headlights integrated backup battery (see below) ensures constant charging current.

Handlebar switch

Now you can control your light directly. Because all important light functions can be switched on the handlebars: ON / OFF, flood light, flash light, etc.

Built-in lithium backup battery

The additional current memory is used for peak loads and the charging current. Loading constantly on when driving. The charging status is indicated by LEDs on the handlebar switch.

Licht24. The daytime running lights

Front-firing signal LEDs. The automatic sensor turns on automatically in daylight maximum daytime running lights in the dark to maximum.

Sidelights

Automatically. The special LEDs are targeted at security perception. Can switch on the handlebars are turned off.

Taillight Monitor

A control LED lights on constantly shows whether an attached tail light is working properly.

With clip front reflector.

Fall 2012.

The link describing this new light is here (in German): http://www.bumm.de/produkte/dynamo-scheinwerfer/lumotec-iq2-luxos.html

It is available in three models with escalating features, but it isn't cheap: Prices run from Euro119 to Euro179 and top out at Euro199. The first two are rated at 70Lux, while the most expensive is switchable from 60/140Lux. The beam pattern of the IQ2 compaed to the IQ is shown here: http://www.bumm.de/innovation-original/iq-iq2.html The panorama LUMOTEC IQ2 LUXOS beam pattern is stunning in the tunnel photograph shown here, fifth photo down from the top: http://www.bumm.de/innovation-original/lichtvergleich-scheinwerfer.html the panoramic beam pattern is due to a more vertical placement of the LED emitter in relation to the parabolic mirror reflector, also shown here: http://www.bumm.de/innovation-original/iq-iq2.html and described thusly...
The IQ technology of the next generation: filament position, reflector, LED and cooling are optimized radically. Using a prism light output and efficiency can be increased significantly. Additional LEDs combined with electronic controls allow "dynamic lighting", adapted to the driving situation. From a dynamo powered headlight produces a light field by a multiple of large and as homogeneous as never before.

I realize the Lithium battery is needed to smooth current output for smart-phone charging, but I hope it will be replaceable when it finally succumbs. All other functions mirror those of the current IQ series, including the IQ Cyo lights.

Introduction date is listed for Fall 2012; I'll be looking forward to some early tests -- it looks the business, but sometimes the results don't always mirror the ad copy.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 01:32:29 am by Danneaux »

Andre Jute

Re: New B&M IQ2 headlight with 'bar mounted remote USB charging
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 01:28:03 am »
The 70 lux version of the Luxos appears to be a useful lamp, superior to the IQ generations of which I've constantly complained about their poor side-throw; it must be safer on narrow lanes if that tunnel picture in Dan's post above represents a throw that will be matched in production, and not a wishful spread of nothing real mocked up by the ad department. Since I used to be the ad department, you'll excuse my cynicism, but after my recent experiences with the second generation of IQ lamps, my money will stay in my bank until I see independent photographs of production versions of these lamps. For instance, the BUMM publicity photos of the second gen IQ didn't show the wretched hotspot...

As I have an E bike, if this lamp is good, I look forward to the 140 lux version of the Luxos. That's Big Bang, HID lamp, territory, get the hell off my road with your poncey SUV! And the BUMM specs in German, to which Dan kindly directed us, seems to say a handlebar switch comes with all but the cheapest model, which is autoswitching, so presumably one will use the Luxos E on 65 lux as a dipped lamp and on 140 lux for really, really fast downhills taken at daylight speeds. We've already seen with the first gen Cyo, the good one, that 40 lux was more than enough for fast work, that the 60 lux had the extra illumination wasted on useless reach when it should instead have been used sideways to orient the cyclist more comfortably in his surroundings, not even to mention a spot of elevation to catch important road signs like junction and give-way warnings. (You can tell, I nearly had my head taken off by a truck crossing a road from which I was supposed to give him the right of way; I just never saw the crossroads nor the sign, and didn't hear the truck because there was a tractor on my rear wheel.)

It takes BUMM only ten years to catch up with their customers... They're just lucky that their competitors are even slower.

Andre Jute

il padrone

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 08:24:42 am »
Floodlight beam (flutlicht) on the USB model is rated at 90 lux  8)

il padrone

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 12:08:12 pm »
the panoramic beam pattern is due to a more vertical placement of the LED emitter in relation to the parabolic mirror reflector, also shown here: http://www.bumm.de/innovation-original/iq-iq2.html and described thusly...

If you take close note of the reflector profile in this image

I believe the panoramic beam comes from two directional LEDs focussed at a 45 deg angle by the corner scoops in the reflector.

Just what I seem to be able to work out.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 04:45:00 pm »
I believe the panoramic beam comes from two directional LEDs focussed at a 45 deg angle by the corner scoops in the reflector.
I think you've sussed it out well, Pete; that's my impression as well on going back and looking at the info BUMM have published. Very clever optics. I really like the design, and like Andre, hope it fulfills its promise. I wish it wasn't so expensive, but it is not a bad deal compared to an IQ Cyo and a Tout Terrain The Pug 2 and PAT cable. I wish we had figures on the USB output and more specifics on the whole package. I am very optimistic we're on the cusp of greatly improved bike lighting, and I can't wait to see what's around the corner. This light is slated for a "Fall 2012" introduction, so tests should be appearing shortly.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 01:19:37 am by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 04:17:53 pm »
http://www.bike24.com/p238291.html
doesn't sem a bad price for a great light. ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 04:53:05 pm »
Jags,

The Luxos "B" is the decontented version compared to the "U" with USB charging and remote.

The "B" lacks a number of features, including...

• USB charging with port in a remote switch (no remote switch, either)
• buffer battery
• No rear-light monitor
• Missing option for 90lux floodlight option
• No extra-wide, panorama low-beam as far as I can tell (but does include "side lights")

It does have the daytime running lights (of doubtful benefit in my mind, but may be good in others' view; I'd just leave the main light switched on), side-viewable lighting and automatic switching.

The "B" version is therefore less expensive than the "U" as a result of all the missing features. It has the external appearance and style of the "U", but not the features.

Best,

Dan. (...who will scare up and post links to some really outstanding beam-shots in a just a bit; rewiring part of the house at the mo')
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 04:57:09 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 04:56:10 pm »
Ah Hah glad i asked or posted that link. ;)

George Hetrick

• retired software engineer in Austin, TX, USA
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 07:08:04 pm »
Peter White http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/b&m-hl.asp is carrying these in the USA. I have one on order (actually through Bilenky who are modifying a front rack to have a roll cage for the light). So, I hope to be able to report on it in a month or so.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 07:19:08 pm »
I hope to be able to report on it in a month or so.
Yaaaay, George! Good on you!

So looking forward to your firsthand report. Very wise to get the headlight "roll cage" installed on the rack (I'll bet that will look nice, as well; Bilenky's shop does such nice work).

Did you choose the "U" or the "B"?

All the best,

Dan.

George Hetrick

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 07:25:00 pm »
I'm getting the U.

Bilenky is also putting couplers on my Robert Beckman frame -- that's what I'm planning to use on my West Coast tour this Spring.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 07:35:30 pm »
Ah! Very nice indeed, George! Bob Beckman's bags were always very nice (Bruce Gordon showed me some early models back in the day when he lived in Eugene and was designing his cro-mo racks; Beckman designed and made the bags to extremely high standards and tey had innovative zippered dividers for on-the-fly-reconfiguration), and the Beckman bikes...well!  ;D  As I recall, he designed them and subcontracted the actual builds; they were remarkable bikes and for a time, the only true expedition bikes of that sort available stateside. Is it a Sakkit Expedition 26? He was located for some years in Bend (another Oregon connection) but I've lost track of him in recent years. I do recall seeing a Sakkit for sale in Texas about four years ago. Is that one now yours?

It sure does make a difference when your touring bike designer actually tours and can draw on personal experience. Andy Bance does this with the Thorns and it shows in a very positive way.

All the best,

Dan. (...who has a mind for bicycle trivia)

George Hetrick

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 08:16:33 pm »
I remember that bike for sale; I hope the owner eventually got what it was worth.

This is one I had built for me -- Beckman now does the build himself, but contracts out the painting. His reputation for schedule problems is, unfortunately, well-deserved -- I ordered the bike in the summer of 2004, with a promise of getting it that year, and received it at the end of 2008, and that, only after considerable pressure. The bags are gorgeous, and well thought-out, as is the custom mounting system (which requires racks of his design).

By the time it arrived, I had bought a Bike Friday, which I used for a tour of the Cabot Trail a couple summers back, so the Beckman has yet to be used for touring. Bob is still in Bend.

jags

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 09:16:34 pm »
Say george how much is that light with peter white. ;)

(that sounds like a line from a song ) ;D ;D

George Hetrick

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 09:53:44 pm »
From Peter's website:
Luxos B, 70 lux, IQ2 Optics, Standlight, Licht 24 (auto switching between daytime and nightime modes), pictured mount included. Weight: 3.8 ounces without the included B&M475DPB mount.

Part # B&M179B-04R: $ 160.00

Luxos U, 70 lux, IQ2 Optics, Licht 24, USB charging (onboard AC to DC converter) Cache battery for charging, as well as powering the light to 90 lux for short periods, handlebar switch, monitors status of rear light, pictured mount included. Weight: 4 ounces without the included B&M475DPB mount. The Luxos U weighs a bit more due to the cache battery and AC to DC converter.

Part # B&M179U-04LSR: $ 234.00