Author Topic: Frame Types  (Read 4967 times)

Spudz

Frame Types
« on: March 03, 2005, 05:44:46 am »
Hello to all,
As this is my very first post on this forum, I hope my question is not too banal for you seasoned 'posters'.
I'm looking for some user feedback on the different frame types used on Thorn bikes.
For example anyone who can make a direct comparison with the Reynolds 853 tubing and Thorn's own 969 tubing.?
A little personal background.
Of the many bikes I have cycled these past 30 years, 3 stand out as memorable.
1978 Dawes Super Galaxy;  frame: Reynolds 531 st (a beautiful ride)
1989 Overbury Pioneer XT; frame Tange Ultimate (?? I think) I called this bike the Mountain Goat!! Lovely for a long day in the hills.
1993 (circa) Specialized S-Works 1 XT; frame Alluminium with Ceramic bits mixed in. Very responsive bike, but not as comfortable as the Overbury for a day in the saddle.

My cycling needs are more sedate now, and I'm looking at a Thorn Raven Tour OR a Thorn Catalyst or maybe even a Nomad, to replace the still in use Specialized. However how does Thorns 969 frame material compare with a Reynolds frame?
Anyone with any experience/opinions, I would love to hear from you.
Thanks
spudz
« Last Edit: March 03, 2005, 01:16:16 pm by Spudz »

Magnus Thor

Re: Frame Types
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 07:07:02 pm »
Well, I can't tell you much, but I recently shelled out for a Catalyst and I am, to say no more, Impressed!
The Catalyst is made from Reynolds 853 with Reynolds 725 stays and it makes a far smoother ride than my old alu Trek 6700.  I am far less weary after a day in the saddle on the Catalyst although it weights the same as the Trek (with full mudguards and rack)
Besides, the Rolhoff is the greatest thing since wooden wheels!

Magnus Thor
Iceland

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 10:29:01 pm »
I just got a catalyst too, have to agree with Magnus great ride, great handling with 1.6 conti sport contact. I use a thudbuster and brooks pro so comfort is very good. Pace RC31 forks are very comfortable too. Have plans for serious mileage on this bike, 200k at the end of March as the start of a super randoneur series here in Ireland, maybe LEL if I'm allowed by the financial controller....
Regards David

Spudz

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 07:03:47 am »
Ciao Guys,
Thanks for that. I've been reading as many posts here as possible to try to inform myself on this topic. Like the photos Magnus, a serious bike!!
Wingnut whereabouts are you in "the oul' sod" ?
I'm originally from the 'Fair City' meself, but am living in N. Italy now.
Funny, although the history of cycling is strong here, the reality is closer to 'taking life in hand' each time you venture out for a spin.
The Catalyst looks like it kinda does 2 jobs very well. A lightweight tourer and a decent MTB/offroader, I'm being 'pulled' more towards the Raven Tour though. Anyone got comparative experience of this bike with a similar(?) Reynolds tubed bike ???
Cheers to you'll
'agus go ndeiridh on bothair leat'
(a bit rusty on the gaelic)

spudz

Wingnut

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 12:16:17 pm »
Spudz,
I'm just a blow in from the Mainland (ducks for cover)[;)]
Living in Mullingar, the wife is a northsider, good cycling around the lakes here thats why I got the Catalyst cos the roads are Sh**e... keep taking the lads down boreens with grass down the middle, most of them are roadies and get all flustered when the road gets a bit rough, drop them like a stone then [:D]
I'll try and post a pic of Matilda after the weekend, off to Loughrea this savo for a bit of cráic with some friends...
Regards, David.

luceberg

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 05:07:11 pm »
Just thought I'd mention, the "969" in Thorn 969 tubing refers to the butted tube thickness(0.9 to 0.6 to 0.9mm) and not to the type of steel. They don't say exactly what the composition is. My guess is that it is a fareastern version of reynolds 531.

PH

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2005, 05:50:07 pm »
The sticker on my Raven describes Thorn 969 as; Double butted, Seamless, Heat treated, Cold drawn, Cro-Mo.  Means absolutely nothing to me, though I note it’s the same description as Reynolds 725 rather than 531.
There comes a point where you have to trust the designer/frame builder to choose the appropriate materials.  Tube diameter, wall thickness and geometry will have a greater influence on the final frame than the alloy composition of the steel.  Just as choice of other components particularly wheels and tyres will affect the overall feel of the bike.
My experience with my Raven is that it dose just what it’s designed to do.  It’s comfy enough to ride all day, is very stable whether loaded or not and is at home on pretty much any surface.  If you’re looking for a speed machine you may be slightly disappointed, otherwise it’s a perfect all rounder.    

Spudz

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 01:37:40 pm »
[:)]Hi to you all,

And thank you all for your advice/info.
The more I read about these Thorn bikes, the more I like, and am convinced there is a Thorn for me. The Raven Tour seems to be just about perfect for my needs, just have to convince 'she that must be obeyed' and the bank manager that it will be money well spent. .... EASY PEASY !!!
Wingnut, haven't been to Mullingar on a bike since 1978/9, lovely trip on roads that were not yet dual carriageways/motorways. Camped on Lough Owel if I remember correctly, then a detour loop home to Dublin via Kells, Newgrange and Drogheda. Glad to hear the boreens are still there, I'm really fed up with 'Euro Roads'.
"..... Raven is that it dose just what it’s designed to do. It’s comfy enough to ride all day, is very stable whether loaded or not and is at home on pretty much any surface."
Thanks PH for that statement , that's pretty much what 'm looking for in a bike."
Just have to nip over to the "Luggage" thread to post a Q. about front panniers V. bar bags, and I think I'll be decided.
Thanks again for all the advice

sorry, just one more thing. How do you use the smilies on a post, can't seem to figure that out ???

Spudz

Spudz

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005, 01:38:26 pm »
Now how did that Smiley get there ??????

ahconway

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005, 08:58:37 pm »
Ciao Spudz -

Fascinating that you're in what many would say is the centre of cycling world and yet you look to England for a new bici! Can't say I blame you, though, if you're looking for an innovative all-rounder. I can only imagine what the boys on their Pinarellos and Colnagos will say when they see your Raven... Che bella bici, ma dov'e' il cambio?

I've had my Raven Tour since December and love it, though I do sometimes wish for a 16-pounder.

What are you riding these days?

Andrew

Spudz

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2005, 02:15:48 pm »
Ciao ahconway,
I still have my Specialized with slicks for the roads, seldom go off road now, but mostly I use my wifes small town bike for nipping to the shops etc.
Not very 'Bella Figura', but infinitely more practical. Round these parts the cyclists seem more interested in what's flash and new, and not much interested in what's good for the job ..... terrible generalisation I know, but one can only take seeing € 2,000 plus full suss. mtb's being ridden across the flat plain of northern italy before one questions their owners priorities.
The word 'Poser' perfectly describes a good 90% of them ... I get a good laugh at what I see most of the time.
Am looking forward to shocking them when I eventually get a Thorn.

a la prossima

spudz