Author Topic: Danneaux's Nomad  (Read 231272 times)

David Simpson

Re: Danneaux's Nomad
« Reply #495 on: August 17, 2015, 05:39:17 pm »
Hi Dan --

I've seen the Thudbuster advertised as "Thudbuster Quadra" and just plain "Thudbuster". Since you have one, do you know if they are actually different products, or the same product advertised differently? Which one do you have (if they are different)?

I realize there are LT and ST versions.

Did you get the 27.2mm version to fit your Nomad, using the Thorn shim?

Thanks,
Dave

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #496 on: August 17, 2015, 07:53:25 pm »
Hi Dave!

I had the same question, and learned the "Quadra" moniker referred to Thudbuster's development of the parallelogram linkage (as opposed to their earlier designs, see: http://www.thudbuster.com/history.html ). Now, regardless of name, they all seem to be simply "Thudbusters" in one of two styles: ST (Short Travel) or LT (Long Travel).

One is not simply a cut-down version of the other. The pivot pins and bushings are essentially the same, but the links differ in length and the elastomers differ greatly. The ST uses a molded, rubbery puck that comes in a predetermined hardness (durometer). The LT uses urethane elastomers that can be stacked in various durometers to fine-tune the action of the post. Both posts offer a sort of rebound control (based entirely on the rebound characteristics of the elastomeric medium), but the LT has a "hard lockout/preload" bolt that allows adjustment of both characteristics. It's longer linkage makes for a more supple ride on larger bumps, and it is more finely tunable. The ST is a more generic suspension option and its more limited travel makes it most suitable for smoothing out road irregularities. I particularly dislike the "buzz" of chip-sealed pavement, and the ST proved to damp that out nicely; same for concrete expansion joints, but it is not so good for absorbing larger irregularities like tree roots, big potholes, and rough gravel ballast on logging roads. The LT excels in those conditions. I've found both 'posts to be quiet in normal operation. Both work nicely with my Brooks B.17 saddles and don't interfere with the Brooks rails.

For the Nomad, I thought long and hard and decided to get the 27.2mm version (same as Thorn originally specs for their rigid 'posts) so I could continue to use the original Thorn-supplied shim. Andy Blance has made a good argument for the shim, saying it makes seizure due to galvanic corrosion less likely. For me, another factor was the ability to quickly switch between rigid and both sus-posts for A-B comparisons during testing. I was skeptical as to how well a TBLT would work for my needs, so I tried the ST also. It helped, but not "enough" for the MTB-like conditions I ride, where shock was worst when unladen. Once I fitted the LT there was no looking back and it has remained in place ever since. I would have preferred the LT model even for my road bikes, but their horiziontal top tubes only have enough clearance for the ST model, which has proven to be a great improvement over rigid seatposts for my general use of those bikes. For them, I ordered the specific sizes needed (26.8 and 27.0), since I had not previously used shims on them and did not want to  (the top collar of a shim would have conflicted with their concave seat lugs).

While I'm happy with both the ST and LT Thudbusters, I have a really smooth, light, high-rev pedaling style that minimizes any bobbing in the saddle. I think if I were a low-rev, high-torque "masher", the LT *could* possibly have a problem with bobbing until the rider adjusted pedaling style. It has not been a problem for me. The ST with its more damped, limited travel doesn't seem as likely to bob under a masher.

About a year after fitment, the LT developed a click while riding. After following all the suggestions in the Thudbuster FAQ, I wrote their support team and received a supportive note in reply, as well as a replacement bushing kit. It seems something was amiss in only the right-side lower bushing -- perhaps it had been slightly damaged on initial installation? -- and replacing it solved the problem completely. I have kept the others for spares, but anticipate no problems based on how well the other bushings are doing. I've had good luck lubing with Tri-Flow, and I think the neoprene covers are a very good idea to keep the bushings dry and clean.

Thudbusters are available from a number of vendors internationally. If you are shopping for one in the US, the inventor sells direct from his site ( http://www.thudbuster.com/ ), with drop shipments dispatched by Cane Creek. The other direct site is Cane Creek, who makes the posts under license ( http://www.canecreek.com/products/seatposts ). I decided to buy from the inventor 'cos he included the neoprene sleeve for free.

I was initially reluctant to go with a suspension 'post out of concerns for long-term durability, maintenance, and wear. I think that  is still a potential issue, and won't know if it is an actual problem until I use the Thudbusters more. For the Nomad's LT, I will include a spare preload/limit bolt, nut and washer in my touring kit, as a breakage there could disable the post and there have been isolated, rare reports of breakage. I think the bolt could be an eventual wear item, due to the friction of the elastomers sliding on the shaft, as well as cumulative shock loads on lockout, so why not take a spare if going into the Middle of Nowhere? The ST has no such bolt.

I have found both types of elastomers (ST and LT) tend to "sag" a bit with use over time. It is not a material concern, but I found it helpful to place my saddle 5-8mm forward to compensate for sag (the linkage in the seatpost causes the saddle to decline downward and rearward under load and it proved to be a bit much when running the saddle with the same settings as on a rigid 'post). I've found saddle-to-BB distance to remain essentially constant, so it has not affected my knees adversely. I do notice compression places me the same distance but rearward in relation to the BB, but this has not been a problem in practice.

One more observation: The LT arrived with Medium elastomers and proved to be fine for my 78kg body weight, I didn't even have to adjust the preload/limit bolt. The ST was a different story (Nomad and each of the two randonneur bikes, all set up for identical position on the bikes).  With my preferred 45° back angle while riding the hoods and even more shallow back angle while on the drops, I just did not have enough weight on the saddle to actuate the ST posts except when hitting large bumps, so they felt harsh. They came supplied with the Medium elastomer puck (recommended for my weight) and substituting the included Soft puck solved the problem completely; the STs are now responsive, yet don't even approach bottom-out. I have concluded body weight is important in determining which elastomer to use, but so is body positioning and actual weight on the saddle.

Aesthetically, I still think Thudbusters are ugly -- especially on road bikes with classic geometry -- but they are now functionally beautiful in my eyes, thanks to their added performance and reduced fatigue with greater comfort.

Hope this helps, Dave.

All the best,

Dan.

David Simpson

« Reply #497 on: August 17, 2015, 08:06:35 pm »
Thanks for the quick and comprehensive answer (as usual)!

- Dave

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #498 on: November 12, 2015, 06:12:51 pm »
Test post. This topic seems to have disappeared from searches, but still appears from the Forum's statistics box. Checking, as other member's gallery entries are appearing to come and go for me following the Forum update. Trying to get to the bottom of it.

Updates to follow.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 06:14:35 pm by Danneaux »

Znook

• Me, Robbie!
« Reply #499 on: November 12, 2015, 07:07:53 pm »
Well Dan that test post produced an update e-mail so all's well in the world at my end :)
I'm here, there and everywhere.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #500 on: November 12, 2015, 08:50:52 pm »
Thanks, Robbie; very helpful feedback. I have been concerned some members' posts -- particularly in the Gallery -- may have become lost, since sometimes a search by title brings up... <nothing>  :o so  I am checking everything. It may simply be an anomaly in the search engine's algorithm or some content posted before the Forum update may not be cataloged by the Forum search engine...or it may be nothing. Best I have a look in any case.  ;)

Attached photos posted before the update only show generic icons because the thumbnail files did not make the trip. Also, photos attached earlier are often corrupted, either entirely or in their lower third. All referenced internal links in posts are broken, and I am going through and updating them as I can find them. The links are still there, but the domains are outdated. I will soon post a short tutorial on how to view "broken" Forum links.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 08:54:35 pm by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #501 on: December 03, 2015, 06:17:54 pm »
Hi All!

Just a quick couple of photos to show Danneaux's Nomad is still in regular use. Yesterday's long ride started in cool but cloudy weather...then the rain hit. Good thing I had my rain gear with me. The insulated jacket shown did not work well. It is a soft-shell design with no ventilation besides the offset zipper and became a sweatbox within the first 8km, the same problem I've had with soft-shell jackets while walking. The back proved too short to cover my jersey (the white thing peeking out below). What works in the stored does not always perform on the road. Back to my usual layering setup with removable wind or rain shell.

There have been some subtle but important updates to my Nomad. Stay tuned for more.

Best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #502 on: December 03, 2015, 07:03:21 pm »
For those who asked:

The above ride was a 200km day-ride on the Nomad, about the maximum I seem to take on it. I prefer my randonneur bikes for longer day rides on pavement.

I think the Nomad could likely go further, but I am always tempted by unpaved or gravel side excursions (usually steep trails ad logging or Forest Service roads) when riding it, and those are done at a slower pace, so I run out of time to accumulate distance before I must return. Horses for courses, and the Nomad is just *so* much better on rough/no pavement and requires less skill on those surfaces, so it is more relaxing. The Thudbuster Lt (Long Travel) seatpost makes it less jarring to ride the rough stuff as well.

The Nomad is a heavy bike to ride unladen and I do notice the difference between it and the rando bikes (20kg vs 14.5kg) when accelerating frequently, but there s not much difference in steady-state riding, once up to speed. It hasn't held me back, and remains my ideal mount for hauling heavy touring loads.

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #503 on: December 03, 2015, 07:24:21 pm »
You have her togged out well Mr Wood. ;)

anto

mickeg

« Reply #504 on: December 03, 2015, 10:25:42 pm »
For wind, I like some of the Canari windbreakers.   For colder weather, I put on a thin insulated jacket under it, and maybe a fleece vest under it too. 

I really like this one.  When they designed it, they put the sleeve zippers on so that if you want to, you can open the sleeve zippers about 3 or 4 inches on the front for a bit more ventilation if you do not want to take the sleeves all the way off.

http://www.rei.com/product/877357/canari-razor-convertible-bike-jacket-mens-2013-special-buy

But some of the Canari have a material that is too wind resistant and do not breath well.   I have one of these and find that I accumulate too much moisture inside that does not evaporate.   So, I rarely wear it.

http://www.rei.com/product/877356/canari-microlight-shell-bike-jacket-mens-special-buy

If it is quite chilly, I often wear a down vest over everything for about the first 5 miles or so, then shed it.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #505 on: December 04, 2015, 01:27:51 am »
Thanks, mickeg; very thoughtful and very helpful comments on the jackets/shells. I have long used the layering approach, but hoped the softshell concept was the Next Best Thing. So far, it seems to fall short of my needs.

I'll investigate that one Canari windbreaker...and avoid the other!  ;)

All the best,

Dan.

il padrone

« Reply #506 on: December 04, 2015, 10:28:55 am »
Where did you purloin the three Blackburn Bomber cages? These have been out of production for many years.  :o

Andre Jute

« Reply #507 on: December 04, 2015, 03:50:40 pm »
Where did you purloin the three Blackburn Bomber cages? These have been out of production for many years.  :o

Yeah, I thought there was something vintage about those cages. Mine were on a long-gone Peugeot of unfond memory (it wrecked my back) but on which I still managed dawn to dusk rides in my yoof.

mickeg

« Reply #508 on: December 04, 2015, 05:31:07 pm »
I did not realize those cages were vintage.

http://www.amazon.com/M-Wave-Tall-Bottle-Black-Silver/dp/B007Y5EIYS

But they do not say what bottle diameter they are for.

il padrone

« Reply #509 on: December 04, 2015, 08:24:39 pm »
BBB now make the best version of a cage for the big PET bottles - Fueltank XL. Many of the other versions by Topeak and others are too weak, will bust the mountings or the bottle neck-holder in short order.