Author Topic: Danneaux's Nomad  (Read 231340 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Danneaux's Nomad
« Reply #480 on: April 12, 2015, 12:01:17 am »
Hi All!

The incremental Nomad upgrades continue, this time with waterproofed (or at least weather-shielded) USB charging from my ToutTerrain The Plug2+.

Right-angle USB adapters are now available and one of those coupled with a bit of soft but watertight vinyl grommet for gasketing has resulted in a weatherproofed connection that has so far withstood continued wind-driven rain while riding and water poured from a 1.5l bottle without causing interrupted charging through the USB port. Making the unshielded connection from below has made all the difference. The gasketing is squishy enough to prevent water entry even under vibration on rough roads. The gadget being charged is placed under cover in my handlebar bag. The one exception is my Garmin Oregon 600T GPS, which has a weather-shielded connection on the underside so it can be powered or charged in place regardless of weather (I hacked a 12-volt Garmin car charger to salvage the cord and right-angle connector, soldering a USB-A Male connector to the end). If you place a small piece of 12.5mm x 20mm plastic beneath the two AA (rechargable) batteries, they will charge in the 600T so a separate charger is unnecessary. It isn't necessary to purchase the separate and expensive Garmin rechargeable battery pack. I'm still experimenting with Garmin Spanner settings, but I think with this cord, the works might serve as an internal buffer battery. Experiments continue.

These right-angle connectors are available in left/right and up/down configurations from many electronics stores as well as eBay and Amazon for minimal cost. Links to the ones I got are here:
Up/Down: http://www.ebay.com/itm/311329470305?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Left/Right: http://www.ebay.com/itm/191442844808?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Looking forward to some really foul weather in the next week so I can continue field testing, but results are encouraging so far.

GPS and 1l water bottle removed from their mounts for clarity in the photos below, caught in the sunshine during a brief clearing between storms.

Yes, the gaskets alone might make for a similar result without the 90° adapter, but this does make for a drip loop to prevent water following the cord into the HB bag.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 12:07:17 am by Danneaux »

mickeg

« Reply #481 on: April 12, 2015, 03:39:52 am »
Looking forward to some really foul weather in the next week so I can continue field testing, ...

It is rare when I see that written down by someone that is serious when they say it.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #482 on: April 12, 2015, 04:30:16 am »
...Looking forward to some really foul weather in the next week so I can continue field testing, ...
<nods> True enough, mickeg, but I really am looking forward to getting the new connectors wet in more "real" riding conditions.  :D  If the modified grommets don't work, I have some blown neoprene foam "donuts" I will be trying as gaskets. This is the same material used in SCUBA wetsuits.

Looking closely, the only real problem with USB charging in wet conditions is the unshielded connectons inherent to the design. If the connectors can be shielded against weather, all will be well. So far -- riding in spitting rain, some brief downpours, and dumping a liter of water from my bottle on the connection, charging continued uninterrupted. After carefully drying the outside then unplugging, there were no signs of water inside.

My B&M e-Werk uses shielded connections with screw threads to extend the charging cables and fit the adapter ends; the actual charging must still occur with gadgets in a sheltered place, like a handlebar bag. The Plug2 is conveniently located atop the steerer...but has an exposed USB connector for actual charging.

I recently bought an upgraded Cinq5 (ToutTerrain's new accessories division, The Plug now bears the Cinq5 logo) weather cap for shielding The Plug's USB connector when it is not charging. Pictures to follow as soon as I get it installed.

All the best,

Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #483 on: April 12, 2015, 12:29:09 pm »
I still plan to use all of my USB charging gear inside the handlebar bag, but when the weather is good I might have a voltage/amperage readout outside of the bag where I can see it so that I know if current is continuing to flow into the batteries.

Those that want to use a phone for GPS purposes or a USB powered GPS unit like some of the Garmins, I can see where they would need the waterproof connections that you are working on.  For them a exposed plug would certainly be convenient.  And a lot of bike tourists do not use a handlebar bag, so for them a plug like you are experimenting with is almost a required piece of gear.

I suspect that the real issue will not be short term shorting of your current flow, but longer term corrosion in the electronics from water ingress.  If any of the multi-strand wires get wet, capillary action can draw water a short distance along the wires under the insulation, leading to potential longer term corrosion issues.  
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 12:30:45 pm by mickeg »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #484 on: April 13, 2015, 01:59:08 am »
Hi All!

Fairly heavy rain is predicted for tonight and tomorrow (Yay! for testing purposes), but today was sunny enough for another Nomad upgrade on the back patio.

Today's effort was to upgrade the weather cap for the Tout Terrain The Plug 2+. The original was a silicone plug on a leash that did keep dirt out of the connection, but allowed some water to enter. I never had a problem with rust, but took care to blot the USB port with a cloth before plugging a connector in to charge gadgets or batteries.

Tout Terrain has spun their accessory division off in a new captive department called Cinq5, and most of their gadgets are in the process of rebranding. With the issuance of The Plug 3, Cinq5 has included a more protective weather cap. Because the unit has the same physical dimensions as The Plug 2-series (but very different from the original/1 series), it fits. I got mine from SJS Cycles, here: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cinq5-plug-iii-usb-cap-and-ring-prod36912/?geoc=us

Very pleased so far. I also like the tidier appearance.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 06:46:26 am by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #485 on: August 10, 2015, 04:32:11 pm »
Hi All!

Latest acquisition soon to find a home on Seymour the Nomad: A 1956 South Sudan 5 Ghirsh coin.

Still pondering where and how to mount it. Was thinking about the fork crown or the forward reach of the top Thorn Accessory T-bar, but the latter would require shaping the coin on a die. I'll know better once it arrives (end of week) and can see the color clearly; I'm hoping for silver, but but it may have a slight bronze tinge. Size will be a factor as well.

Best,

Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #486 on: August 10, 2015, 11:59:16 pm »
To bad you use a USB port built into the stem cap, otherwise you could drill a hole thru the coin and make a fine stem cap out of it if it is big enough.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #487 on: August 11, 2015, 12:01:27 am »
...otherwise you could drill a hole thru the coin...
Yes, but it would kill the camel, the Nomad would fall into the sand, the supply box would spill open, and all would perish.  :P

;D

All the best,

Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #488 on: August 11, 2015, 12:03:49 am »
Wow, you responded fast.

David Simpson

« Reply #489 on: August 11, 2015, 12:33:20 am »
The dude on the camel does NOT look happy. Perhaps he needs a Thudbuster.

- Dave

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #490 on: August 11, 2015, 01:07:01 am »
Camel doesn't look happy, either.  :o

I think he might benefit from a Thudbuster even more than the rider.

Pannier looks sturdy...either Ortliebs or perhaps Carradice. I see the rider is clutching what must surely be a Click-Stand (carbine edition).

All the best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #491 on: August 11, 2015, 05:50:16 am »
And there's clearly much malignant melanoma in the air.

John Saxby

« Reply #492 on: August 11, 2015, 02:54:26 pm »
Camel saddles are sooo bloody uncomfortable.  Who's responsible for spreading the romantic mythology?  (TE Lawrence was a bit masochistic about pain, but did everybody else have to buy into it?)  ("Sorry, sir, we can't take it back, just because it hurts yer bum. They're all like that.") (Did Brooks never pursue that market?)

Ummm, back to the thread:  Wonderful image, Dan. To go somewhere near the stem, for sure. Maybe even on its own mount, to be fastened onto the centre of your stem, perhaps via one of the generic Garmin mounts, suitably adapted?  In 2013, visiting Salem, just north of you, I met a guy who had mounted a St Christopher medal in place of the BMW roundel in the centre of the fork crown on his mid-80s airhead, a nice touch, I thought.

Andre Jute

« Reply #493 on: August 12, 2015, 04:15:34 am »
... mounted a St Christopher medal in place of the BMW roundel in the centre of the fork crown on his mid-80s airhead, a nice touch, I thought.

Nothing like taking to two wheels on the public roads to give one religion.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #494 on: August 12, 2015, 10:41:17 am »
Happy birthday.

I believe your Nomad is 3 years old this week?

Celebrating?

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink