Author Topic: Danneaux's Nomad  (Read 231569 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Danneaux's Nomad
« Reply #435 on: November 26, 2013, 12:43:43 am »
Hi All!

Original Thudglove/Crudbuster appears on the left, my tone-on-tone version shown on the right, thanks to an acrylic paint pen designed for marking fabric.

Heard back from Cane Creek, who confirm a labeling change for the LT and -- yes -- this example is the right one. They further informed me the tight neoprene will relax a bit over time and was made tight to prevent sagging.

I added a vinyl thread protector (cap) on the exposed threads of the elastomer's preload bolt to prevent it rubbing through the dead-center front of the cover, which wouldn't have lasted long in use without the extra precaution.

Best,

Dan. (...who prefers the more subtle look)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 01:03:39 am by Danneaux »

Andre Jute

« Reply #436 on: November 26, 2013, 12:56:16 am »
Much tastier.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #437 on: November 26, 2013, 10:08:14 am »
Much tastier.
Quite agree.
In the right hand picture what are the straps hanging down? I don't think they are in the left hand picture.
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #438 on: November 26, 2013, 06:28:26 pm »
In the right hand picture what are the straps hanging down? I don't think they are in the left hand picture.
Hi Matt!

Very observant of you! It is just happenstance the straps moved from one pic to the next; they're looped around the rails and can move freely.

The straps are a temporary bodge to allow me to carry my Ortlieb underseat bag until I can find the time to mill a new mounting bracket from aluminum billet to mount it rigidly/"properly". It is cold outside at the moment, which means it is also cold in my unheated garage, and I duhwanna mill cold aluminum with cold fingers at -5°C.  :-\

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 07:47:47 pm by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #439 on: November 29, 2013, 10:33:38 pm »
Hi All!

Seeing the weather forecast is calling for nighttime lows of -10°C/14°F this next week -- and my unheated garage workshop isn't going to get any warmer -- today seemed like a good time to tackle the problem of retaining my spokes in the Nomad's new Thudbuster LT.

It appeared the 'post was too short for the spokes, but the solution proved surprisingly easy once I got my mind wrapped around the problem. The Rohloff hub spokes fit okay, but not the longer ones for the SON28 (New) dynohub, and I couldn't accommodate more than 3 spokes with the nipples attached in any case.

Why?

The post is forged before it is machined, and the shaft-end with the lower link pivots has been machined so it ends in a dome shape ( /\ ) internally. All six of my spare spokes fit only without the nipples attached and only if the threaded ends were all crowded into this dome.

The solution was to package the nipples separately into a little zip-top bag, then bundle the threaded ends of the spokes into a single vinyl thread protector (cap) to prevent thread/'post damage and still allow the lot to crowd into the center dome of the upper 'post end. I just used a cutoff section of thread protector to bundle the spoke heads so they wouldn't rattle.

To keep everything in place, I then took a No. 5 (1-1/16in) rubber stopper, line-bored it, turned it down to 23.5mm OD and then parted it at 9mm thickness before evenly sanding flats to reduce the plug to 20mm at its narrowest to accommodate the front/rear butts Thudbuster use to keep the post light yet strong (the 'post is not round inside, so a round plug won't work). I then fitted a 5mm buttonhead machine screw, a couple stainless fender washers to compress the plug, a pair of internally-toothed lockwashers, and a stainless wing nut rethreaded to 5mm x .08mm. I then hammered the last thread closed to make the wing nut loss-proof and...done.

The spokes ride silently with no rattles and the plug is very secure and won't fall down the seat tube even on rough roads. I left the compression bolt threads a little long so the unscrewed wing nut makes a nice handle to easily extract the plug. With the plug removed, the spokes simply pull out along with the little sack containing the nipples.

Nice to have a "clean" solution for carrying spokes with the Thudbuster LT. This same method worked well for Sherpa and the Nomad's previous rigid Thorn/Zoom long-layback 'posts and I wanted the same for the sus-post. This method would also work with a Thudbuster ST provided the spokes extend through holes drilled in the rubber plug. One shouldn't need spare spokes very often with well-built wheels, and this solution keeps them clean, unbent, and ready to hand when needed, requiring only the seatpost clamp bolt and the wingnut be undone to access them.

By the way, care should be used to avoid disturbing the paper sticker inside the seatpost, as this is the serial number Thudbuster use for warranty validation and for determining service parts. At 9mm thickness, the plug clears the sticker nicely.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 06:57:55 am by Danneaux »

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #440 on: November 30, 2013, 05:44:57 pm »
Still love my SR Suntour suspension post Dan!  ;) But you got me there - nowhere to store my spare spokes.  :(

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #441 on: November 30, 2013, 06:54:13 pm »
Still love my SR Suntour suspension post Dan!
And I can see why! It was top of my short-list, but I realized it would have some issues for my use, and I needed more travel for my needs. I do very much like the SR-Suntour's use of an adjustable spring. It remids me very much of the Tamer parallelogram seatpost:
http://www.amazon.com/Tamer-Pivot-Plus-Suspension-Seatpost/dp/B00A214PR6
http://www.gtgtandems.com/images/pivotplus.pdf

The new BodyFloat design looks very promising for road use, but the price is substantial at present, equal to 2.3 Thudbuster LTs. the cost may drop a bit in full production and a MTB version with 3in travel is promised in the future: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/188418586/bodyfloattm-an-evolution-in-bicycle-comfort-and-pehttp://www.bikerumor.com/2012/10/04/50157/
http://www.cirruscycles.com/

I did a test ride on an Allsop Softride sus-beam bike once. It felt a bit like the Thudbuster LT, but different.
But you got me there - nowhere to store my spare spokes.
Aw, there's lots of possibilities left! ;) Spokes can be bundled and put into straight handlebars (but not the lovely Torla's comfort 'bars) or down the uncut steerer if one uses a removable star-fangled nit (SFN) like the separatley available one from Tour Terrain (provided one is not also using a TT The Plug in its many variations). The top run of tubing on the Thorn Expedition rear rack is *just* shy of being able to take a spoke head, and it would be a bit tough getting one out again. For a while on one of my other bikes, I used cable ties to fasten a thinwall aluminum tube lengthwise under the rack platform, then ends closed with vinyl caps. It worked very nicely for carrying spare spokes and weighed very little.

All the best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #442 on: December 01, 2013, 12:42:45 am »
Hi All!

I took the Nomad out on an unexpectedly warm (55F/13C), clear day today with plenty of sunshine. Stopped by the banks of the Willamette River not far from home, setup the little tripod, squeezed off the shot below, and thought I'd share it with you.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 06:58:30 am by Danneaux »

Znook

• Me, Robbie!
« Reply #443 on: December 01, 2013, 12:52:44 am »
Cor, wishing I was there Dan! It does look very nice, and I'm not talking about the scenery  ;D
I'm here, there and everywhere.

John Saxby

« Reply #444 on: December 01, 2013, 10:08:12 am »
an unexpectedly warm (55F/13C), clear day today with plenty of sunshine.

Thanks, Dan -- great foto of you, the boike, the river, and splendid fall weather!  On the other side of the ledger, just had a note from a friend at home, saying that in the wake of the first big winter storm of the year, there are 30 cms of snow in the Gatineau hills, and the X-country ski trails are open. Not much cycling there for a while, then, for this rider at least--will have to get my skis tidied up in a couple of weeks' time.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #445 on: December 01, 2013, 05:24:21 pm »
Excellent picture Dan. You always set the bar pretty high and this is no exception.
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

jags

« Reply #446 on: December 01, 2013, 06:20:48 pm »
class photo not sure which is the sexiest you or the bike. ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #447 on: December 01, 2013, 07:42:46 pm »
Thanks for the kind words, All! I think it is the running to beat the self-timer that's keeping me in shape, not the riding!

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #448 on: December 01, 2013, 08:06:27 pm »
ah dan what about a video.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #449 on: February 02, 2014, 02:07:05 am »
Hi All!

A lovely, sunny day today in between cold spells, so I made the most of it with a nice ride on the Nomad despite only 3 hours' sleep last night (I've been working on some Big Projects with deadlines).

I think the lack of sleep was a factor in losing one of my brand-new (my first ride with them!) high-viz cycling gloves off the bridge and into a tributary of the north-flowing Willamette River. Grrr! >:( My own fault, too 'cos I got careless. The gloves didn't work so well for setting my BikeBrake ( http://www.bikebrake.com/ ) parking brake bands, so I took the gloves off and tucked them under the strap atop my rack pack. When I leaned the bike to set the parking brake, the top glove slid off the bike, over the guardrail, and right into the water some distance below. If it doesn't snag on something, it will be in Portland in about three more days, then the Columbia River and out to the open sea of the Pacific. :P Not exactly good news, but I now know the glove will float like a little high-viz boat. :D

Just goes to show...if you can get out on the bike, it's always worth it, even at the cost of a lost item. I'm glad I went.

Best,

Dan.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 02:08:37 am by Danneaux »