Author Topic: Danneaux's Nomad  (Read 230874 times)

bikerwaser

Re: Danneaux's Nomad
« Reply #390 on: October 25, 2013, 11:42:57 am »
Hi Dan

sorry if this sound slike a strange question but i wondered why you have 2 Thorn bikes ? i´m guessing each one has it´s own purpose ?

cheers !

Bikerwaser

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #391 on: October 25, 2013, 12:37:27 pm »
Hi Dan

sorry if this sound slike a strange question but i wondered why you have 2 Thorn bikes ? i´m guessing each one has it´s own purpose ?

cheers !

Bikerwaser

I would have asked, "Why do you only have 2 Thorns?"
 ;)
Matt ( who dreams of his second)
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #392 on: October 25, 2013, 07:43:08 pm »
Hi Bikerwaser and Matt!

I'll answer comprehensively for those who are thinking of adding a second Thorn to their stable...

I have owned two Thorns, but only one at a time. I once owned Sherpa, and now I own the Nomad.

Sherpa developed a baffling loaded handling problem in my use which could not be resolved by heroic efforts at my end, even with Thorn's help and that of the Forum membership. At the time, my Mk2 Sherpa had been replaced by the Mk3 with reduced load capacity in my frame size (different tubing diameters) and I still required maximum carrying capacity for my extended solo, self-supported expeditions in desert regions, where I must carry lots of water and food. Thorn worked with me tirelessly on trying further solutions for Sherpa and when those did not work, they did an absolutely stellar job of standing behind their words and replaced Sherpa with the Nomad Mk2, the only bike remaining in their line that could handle my sometimes-massive loads. Story here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4320.0 ...and happy conclusion here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3896.msg22473#msg22473

Thorn were unable to duplicate Sherpa's handling problem as shown in video of Andy Blance successfully riding the loaded bike downhill at high speed. The source of the problem in my hands remains a mystery to this day, but Thorn's warranty is no mystery: They stood behind their product 100% and more, making every accommodation to restore me to a working bicycle suitable to my extreme needs when mine proved problematic and every possible remedy failed to correct the problem in my hands. We both wanted Sherpa to work for me.

Sherpa (a Mk2) was a lovely handling bicycle for me when it was unladen or lightly loaded. It was a perfect blend of comfort and carrying capacity, I dearly loved it as the fulfillment of a long-held dream, and the sizing made it a perfect fit. So far as I know mine was an isolated problem, at least in terms of its severity. Other Sherpas have handled well and reliably for many owners in 'round-the-world tours, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Mk2 or later Mk3 (keeping in mind changes in tubing diameter for the latter have reduced ultimate carrying capacity but made it a more versatile all-'rounder).

The Nomad Mk2 has fulfilled its mission for me as a true expedition touring bike with no problems whatsoever. Differences in top tube length (Medium top-tube Nomad vs Short top-tube Sherpa) required a little creativity for use with my preferred drop handlebars, but it now fits identically to Sherpa and my other bikes. It is biased more firmly toward expedition touring (exactly what I needed) and is therefore a bit less suited as an unladen all-'rounder. Though I ride at the same speed as I did on Sherpa, the Nomad is a little less responsive and not as quick-feeling when riding unladen with the same rims and tires. I experience more road shock when riding it alone, but in turn the ride smooths out beautifully when it is carrying 50kg/110lb loads (as much as 26.5l/kg/58lb of that in water). In all fairness, I do find myself riding the bike as I might a mountain bike -- on the very rough surfaces of logging roads, dirt tracks, goat trails, and cross-country, so it is only natural I *would* be subjected to more shock and vibration when unladen! I have found running less air in the tires (F29psi/R34psi) helps immensely, and I will be trying a variety of suspension seatposts soon. Surprisingly, I found I'm getting more shock from the rear than the front when riding the equivalent of cobbles, and I think a parallelogram sus-post will be just the thing to address it while avoiding the problems of telescopic 'posts. Field trials should commence soon with reports and photos to follow.

Based on my own experience with the Nomad, I think Andy Blance has described it very fairly in the brochure when he says...
Some people say that the bikes are heavy but I have had no complaints from any customer, who was looking for a true expedition touring bike.

Crashing down rocky trails, with huge loads or being thrown around by baggage handlers, is a sure way to test robustness and durability to their limits. There is no substitute for tube wall thickness, in these circumstances.  What would be the point of having an expedition frame built with tubes, which would loose all their structural integrity, once they had a big dent in them?

...The Nomad Mk2 frames contain around 3Kg of high quality steel but, considering their immense strength, they are indeed exceptionally light in weight!

However, they are still heavy bikes, especially in EXPEDITION SPEC with 2.15" expedition tyres and expedition rims.  

Whilst even EXPEDITION SPEC NOMADS can be used for general commuting between trips and whilst they are quite happy to lope along, they take considerable energy to accelerate briskly and will not suit macho types, who hate being overtaken by any other cyclist!

If you choose the EURO SPEC NOMAD, it will not only work better on European, road based tours - it will be a much nicer all-weather commuting and general purpose bike.
The Nomad is a "lot of bike" -- just what it says on the tin and exactly what I need. I have other bikes for lighter touring, rando/very long day rides, and more sporty riding. I would describe my other bikes as "touring bikes", the Sherpa Mk2 as a "heavy-duty tourer" and the Nomad as a "super-duty" tourer well-suited for true expedition use and loads.

As an aside, playing with tires has shown they can greatly affect the ride, handling, and feel of the Nomad. I find mine is most happy with  2.0 Schwalbe Duremes, and that is my default spec. I tried some heavier tires and didn't like the more "dead" feel. Similarly, acceleration improved and handling quickened at higher speeds (thanks to the reduction in rotating mass and a change in pneumatic trail) with 1.6in road slicks, but what's the point? At heart, this is still an expedition touring bike and excels at that role. Even so, I find myself riding it the majority of the time simply because I enjoy it so much, and the versatility means I can turn a paved-road day ride into a full-blown exploration of remote tracks without having to change bikes.

The Nomad is seeing use about 85% of the time, my rando bike about 15%, and the other poor bikes are largely neglected. All my bikes seem to end up as touring bikes one way or t'other, but these two cover the spectrum from fast day rides and general touring (with loads up to about 25kg/56lb maximum for the rando bike, which is the rough equivalent of 85% Thorn Club Tour and 15% Audax, thanks to the lightweight wheels; well suited for 300-400km days unladen) and then rough-stuff and expedition touring with the Nomad happily loping along with 50kg loads.

There is reason to have more than one Thorn. They are exceptionally versatile bikes, but still each one excels for a given purpose. If you choose one at each extreme -- say a Nomad and an Audax -- then you'll have two versatile bikes that contrast greatly and really put the spark in riding; no boredom when you can switch from one to another and really feel the difference. Handy topics for those considering multiple Thorns are here:
Audax or Sherpa: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=6607.0
Sherpa or Club Tour: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4669.0
Sherpa or Nomad: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=5581.msg30381#msg30381
A little chart I made showing how Sherpa and the Nomad compare to my rando bike in carrying capacity, comfort, and feel:
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4713.msg23329#msg23329

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 11:54:31 pm by Danneaux »

mickeg

« Reply #393 on: October 25, 2013, 08:25:28 pm »
I own a Sherpa, size 610S.  Bought the used frame and fork from someone that had purchased the wrong size frame.  Several e-mails with SJS told me that this was the right size for me.

And, three years later (this past spring) bought a new Nomad frame and fork size 590M with S&S from SJS.

I am not disappointed with either purchase.  However the Sherpa has not been on the road since May because I have been trying to break in the Rohloff on the Nomad.  But, the Sherpa has been used on three loaded tours, each of a week or more.

Also regularly ride a Surly LHT (700c), vintage Bridgestone MB-6 and Airnimal Joey.  Thus, not an exclusive Thorn user.

Relayer

« Reply #394 on: October 26, 2013, 08:57:00 am »
I do find myself riding the bike as I might a mountain bike -- on the very rough surfaces of logging roads, dirt tracks, goat trails, and cross-country, so it is only natural I *would* be subjected to more shock and vibration when unladen! I have found running less air in the tires (F29psi/R34psi) helps immensely, and I will be trying a variety of suspension seatposts soon. Surprisingly, I found I'm getting more shock from the rear than the front when riding the equivalent of cobbles, and I think a parallelogram sus-post will be just the thing to address it while avoiding the problems of telescopic 'posts. Field trials should commence soon with reports and photos to follow.

Now that will be very interesting for me Dan.

I often ponder the longer term future of my RST i.e. when it eventually needs a respray I might just get a new Raven frame instead. I would then transfer my Rohloff and bits across but with minimum 2 inch tyres and wider mudguards for use as a balloon bike, and if it would also be effective as a sort of mountain bike as you describe above then that would be an added bonus!

More power to your test pilot endeavours.   :)

Jim

bikerwaser

« Reply #395 on: October 26, 2013, 11:06:58 am »
Hey Dan

thanks !
As always a comprehensive reply.
I didn´t realise you´d changed from one to the other.
I´ve always had the dream to have a massive garage where i have every bike imaginable from a penny farthing to a raleigh chopper to the best Thorn to a the best road racer and everything in between but as a friend of mine said you´d probably get out on the bike you´d chose and get half way up the road and think you´d chosen the wrong bike.
i now only have 2 bikes. the Thorn Sherpa which i´m very happy with and an old GT LTS 3000 full sus mountain bike which is great for really gnarly routes.
most of the time (99.99%) i´m on the Sherpa and love the "all rounder" ability of it as i can load it up big time and it performs so well like that but with the light wheels and tyres as recommended by Thorn ( default Rigidas and Panaracer tyres ) it´s so fast that i can take the Lycra-louts on most days.
it also works really well on routes where most people would use a mountain bike.

in the end the dream of the massive garage with 100 bikes isn´t going to happen and i´m happy with my 2 bikes that fit "my spectrum". having just the Sherpa would be fine too.

good to read you postings Dan.

have a good weekend

BikerWaser

il padrone

« Reply #396 on: October 26, 2013, 01:32:42 pm »
One for every day of the week is a fine compromise, and I have that now.

Monday - Gerald Tate SS 1960s-style club trainer
Tuesday - Shogun Metro roadster
Wednesday - Cecil Walker 1981 Audax road bike
Thursday - Vittoria WWII German roadster
Friday - Giant XcX MTB dually (if I ever get it cleaned up)
Saturday - Thorn Nomad
Sunday - Trek T100 tandem for some fun

Trouble is, as Dan said, I keep on riding that Nomad so much the other bikes just aren't getting a look in  :o :-\

Note that what I don't have is any bling carbon roadie bike  ;D
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 01:34:50 pm by il padrone »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #397 on: October 31, 2013, 03:27:24 am »
Hi All!

The second, Long Travel (LT) Thudbuster seatpost arrived today to join the Short Travel (ST) version.

Like a kid on Christmas Day, I set to work mounting the LT version first, reasoning it was the logical choice because a) I had the requisite room for it thanks to the Nomad's sloping top tube and b) for little more weight, why not have the advantages of greater travel and more finely tunable (two mix-matchable elastomers instead of one for the ST) damping?

Taking careful measurements of my Thorn/Zoom long-layback seatpost, I set up the TBLT to the same dimensions and went for a ride.

Keeping in mind these are early days and just my initial impressions with the LT version...

>>Wow!<<

It took me about a city block to get used to the down-and-back travel, but my smooth hummingbird cadence resulted in no unwanted bobbing and the 'post soaks up bumps as advertised while being very much in keeping with the Nomad's character. It felt like I was... riding on a 6in wide low-pressure rear tire instead of my usual 2in Schwalbe Dureme. I used the installed medium (blue/blue) elastomers indicated for my 78kg weight and found the elastomers have an effective rising-rate much like the air-spring of an inflated tire; the elastomers' spring response tightens under compression.

I had feared I might find myself reaching for the handlebars when the seatpost compressed, but I find my arms rotating around the 'bars and the reach remains largely the same, my bent elbows making an effective front "suspension". The 'post completely addressed the whiplash-effect on my neck when hitting big bumps or abrupt smaller ones like cobblestones or logging road ballast. Yes, the bumps are still there, but muted to a point where they are no bother at all. The saddle remains level thanks to the paralellogram linkage and the saddle-to-bottom bracket and saddle-to-pedal distance remains constant, so no knee problems for Danneaux at present. There seems to be no noticeable stiction or lateral play at this point. The parallelogram linkage in the Thudbuster LT is a completely different experience compared to the telescopic seatpost under my tandem's stoker saddle or the rocker-type elastomer suspension under the captain's saddle. I like it very much.

I worried the Thudbuster LT might foul the Brooks saddle rails, limiting travel. It doesn't, at least at this point. I thought it might be noisy; it is silent throughout its range. I had concerns it might not work well with the Brooks B.17; it does. The saddle is even more comfortable than before 'cos it doesn't have to absorb the bulk of every bump I hit while seated. I ride faster with the seatpost 'cos I don't have to stand up for bumps, and the rear tire gets better traction on loose surfaces 'cos I can ride seated for most of the bumps I encounter. I am especially pleased the bike's handling and cargo capacity remain unaffected; all I get is a much smoother ride.

There are some problems, however, and they range from slight to somewhat problematic.

On the slightly problematic side, the saddle has some initial sag when just sitting on it, dropping down-and-back about 7.5mm. Big bumps drive the saddle down and back from there. While the distance between saddle and BB remains constant, the rider's position behind the BB varies. This does affect spin slightly as well as effective torque output. I have not found it objectionable at this point, but did try moving the saddle forward 1cm to compensate. This had the unexpected effect of changing the effective spring rate -- the suspension action became less "bouncy" and more "damped". I will try moving it back 2.5mm to see if I can find a happy medium. If not, I'll change one of the elastomers (a softer and harder one are included with the medium ones on 'post and additional even softer and harder ones are available to mix-match as desired).

On the medium-problematic side, the LT version has a bolt through the urethane elastomers that keeps them in place and serves as a travel-stop. Because the 'post sags a bit under rider weight, the stop rarely comes into play, but it might be a good idea to carry a spare in case it someday fractures under rebound loading. The ST version does not have this bolt, relying instead on single molded elastomers made of natural rubber

There is a good possibility my seatpost plug -- the one that retains my spare spokes -- won't work on either of the Thudbusters without modification. I *think* there may be enough available length on the LT 'post to accommodate the spare spokes (I have to measure), but the plug would need some work, as the seatpost shaft is butted front and rear for strength, so it is not round inside -- there's flat sections fore and aft. I should be able to modify the plug so it will work.

On the more problematic side, my Ortlieb medium underseat bag won't fit my Brooks B.17 saddle when mounted on either the ST or LT 'post. The bracket was already set as far back as it would go, given the way the B.17 saddle rails spread apart at the rear. There simply isn't enough room to slide the bag onto the mount and engage it when the saddle is on either of the Thudbusters. To make it work, I'll either have to find an alternate mount or mill a new saddle rail mounting clamp from billet aluminum. Unfortunately, the Ortlieb mount's bolt spacing is just too narrow to allow me to bolt it to the seatpost's rear suspension link, but that remains a possibility if I can't mill a clamp from billet aluminum to fit the wider portion of the saddle rails.

More reports to follow as I use both posts and work to find solutions to the problems. Meanwhile, my initial impressions are very good; the LT has already exceeded expectations and addressed the neck-snap problems I had on really rough roads and trails. When I decide which one to keep, I'll buy the appropriate neoprene cover to keep the pivots clean and dry.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 08:22:14 am by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #398 on: October 31, 2013, 03:49:25 am »
Another picture showing the Thudbuster LT on the Nomad. Alarm and pump not yet reinstalled. AXA Defender missing in action till a new mount by Trelock arrives.

Best,

Dan.

Znook

• Me, Robbie!
« Reply #399 on: October 31, 2013, 08:38:45 am »
Excellent work Dan, really looking forward to the reading of your findings on both versions especially the ST as, due to my size, that will probably be the one I'd have to go for.

Robbie.
I'm here, there and everywhere.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #400 on: October 31, 2013, 08:52:26 am »
Looks good.
Just saw one on UK eBay going second hand.
Says it is for a 27.2 mm post frame.
I have a 2 year old Raven.
Will it fit?
Thanks folks

Matt ( who is always one step behind Dan )
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #401 on: October 31, 2013, 09:04:52 am »
Just saw one on UK eBay going second hand.
Says it is for a 27.2 mm post frame.
I have a 2 year old Raven.
Will it fit?
It should fit, Matt. So far as I know, Thorn standardized *all* their seatposts on 27.2mm, fitting their frames either with or without a shim. Sherpa (a 2011 Mk2) took 27.2 with no shim, the 2012 Nomad Mk2 takes 27.2 with a shim.

Both my Thudbuster ST and LT are in 27.2mm size and they perfectly fit my Nomad's shim.

Would it be worth trying to source a new 'post from the US? The exchange rate is certainly in your favor, and with that offsetting shipping costs, might match the eBay.co.uk price or come close?

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 09:07:11 am by Danneaux »

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #402 on: October 31, 2013, 11:00:35 am »
Dan - good to see the two Thudbusters side by side. So you went for the Thudbuster eh? Hope my review did not put you off the SR Suntour! I am still very happy with it despite its initial difficulty in fitting a Brooks B17.

From the photographs it seems that the lateral width is less hence it fits between the saddle rails. Can you let me know the width of the Thudbusters' top where it fits between the B17 rails?

Sorry to hear about the Ortlieb bag problem. But good to know for other readers. I would be interested to hear how you solve the spoke storage problem. Due to the solid post containing the spring, it is not possible to store spokes in the seat tube.

Looking forward to future reports on how it goes in the long term!

jags

« Reply #403 on: October 31, 2013, 12:20:29 pm »
thats one weird looking seatpost there Dan and a lot of it showing as well, its as well you have a sloping top tube.oh seriously think i would only use that  for when your going adventure touring but for tarmac touring i would be using the normal seatpost.
sorry Dan i just don't like it but if it does what it says on the tin then who am i to disagree with an expert.
the rest of the bike is stunning. ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #404 on: October 31, 2013, 05:19:20 pm »
Richard! Anto!

I'll answer your posts in turn...
Hope my review did not put you off the SR Suntour!
I found your review very helpful in deciding which 'post to try, Richard. I was really leaning toward the SR SunTour until I read your report and viewed it in light of my needs. Among the things I really liked were the adjustable preload on the spring and the way it was constructed as well as the ready availability of a rebuild kit and neoprene cover. In my experience and in this application, I've found springs are more stable over (a long) time than elastomers, which can sometimes harden and change in their response, needing periodic replacement.

I was less enthusiastic about the way the clamp itself had been redesigned compared to the previous version, as I thought it might interfere with my fore-aft saddle placement. I wished the shaft had been hollow for storage, and I was a bit concerned over the apparent lack of rebound control in my use. The limited travel overall and travel before interference with the Brooks' rails were a concern in my use, seeing I seem to be using the Nomad more and more as an MTB so a long-travel sus-post rose in my rankings. Except for my 26in-wheeled tandem and experience with 20in-wheeled Folders, all my on- and off-road riding has been on 700C road bikes. The Nomad is proving so versatile, I am regularly taking it into rugged terrain where I encounter really poor riding conditions and need "more" in terms of suspension. This is why I started with the LT Thudbuster and think the ST may not fit the bill -- again, for me. If the lack of clearance prevented the LT, then I would certainly still consider the ST based on my LT experience so far, but I will test both so I can fairly choose and make an informed recommendation. I got both 'posts so I could directly compare each for fit, travel, and suitability for purpose for my needs.
Can you let me know the width of the Thudbusters' top where it fits between the B17 rails?
Sure can! This was also a factor in my decision, Richard. On the ST, the clamp's rail slots measure 35mm between the inside edges, and the suspension links are only 25mm, so there is a 10mm difference in width; 5mm per side making for lots of clearance. On the LT, the clamp is the same at 35mm inside measurement between rails, but the links are wider at ~30mm, so there is 5mm difference overall, 2.5mm clearance each side.

Now, here's the potential fly in the ointment: My Brooks B17 has the same potential clearance problem as yours -- when viewed from below, the rails narrow in a "\ /" shape as they approach the nose...and this part overhangs the seatpost's upper pivot link. When the saddle is unloaded, it appears there is roughly 1cm vertical distance between the bottom of the saddle rails and the top of the link, and I thought there would be interference. However, even draping my entire body weight on the saddle, I can't get it to happen with the double-blue Medium elastomers installed. I am also not getting the claimed 3in/76mm of travel on the LT, and it will be interesting to see how much I get with the ST. Thudbuster used equal-length links on both posts, so there should be equal travel rearward and downward, meaning 1cm back would also mean 1cm down. I nearly read the electrons off the page at the Thudbuster* and Cane Creek websites (the first is by the inventor; he licensed his design for manufacture/sale by Cane Creek), and I still don't fully understand where their travel figures come from; it may be a diagonal measurement. Given the rising-rate of the elastomer "springs", it may be a theoretical measurement for my mass, from no compression to full-squish, a figure I seem unlikely to achieve. Based on yesterday's riding, so far the LT seems to provide "enough" travel for seated use on some *really* rough fully off-road terrain (I even rode crosswise through a farmer's dried disc-harrowing after the Fall harvest -- like riding across endless speed bumps at the very edge of his field).
Sorry to hear about the Ortlieb bag problem. But good to know for other readers.
Thanks, Richard. I'll make a separate post (sorry!) asking if anyone knows of a wider mount, but Ortlieb don't seem to offer one, nor does KLICKfix. I really don't want to mill a replacement out of aluminum billet, but will if I need to. I love that underseat bag, and don't want to switch to something else. Fitting an underseat bag seems to be a universal problem with the Thudbusters, though there are some solutions:
http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discussion/thudbuster-seatpost-bag-738027.html
http://www.revelatedesigns.com/blog/index.cfm/2013/10/24/Thudbuster-seatposts-and-Packs
http://www.porcelainrocket.com/2011/10/18/new-booster-rocket-2/

By the way, a nice review of the ST and discussion about using it with a bag can be found here: http://www.texascyclist.com/review-thudbuster-st-short-travel-seatpost/

*Oh! Just remembered...The Thudbuster site ( http://www.thudbuster.com/products.html ) is currently offering both posts at a reduced price.

I would be interested to hear how you solve the spoke storage problem.
This is pushing me toward the LT as well, 'cos it has a much longer shaft than the ST. I will need to measure my spokes and see if there is enough unobstructed length to accommodate them. I think the expanding rubber plug I made can be pretty readily modified to fit.
Due to the [SR SunTour's] solid post containing the spring, it is not possible to store spokes in the seat tube.
<nods> I think you might well get by with a capped capsule container for the spokes, Richard, and simply drop it down the seat tube. To extract it, you'd need to remove the post and invert the bike, but that wouldn't be too hard for the infrequent times it is needed. What I have in mind is the clear plastic tube welding rod sometimes comes in. The ends are capped with vinyl caps, much like the ones used as bolt thread protectors. This is the route I might go if I can't get the spokes to fit inside the post as they did with my Thorn/Zoom rigid 'post. the lot should ride pretty quietly with the soft ends and so long as the seat tube itself was not obstructed and still allowed to "breathe" so any entering water didn't collect on a shelf to cause rust, all should be fine.
Looking forward to future reports on how it goes in the long term!
I'll keep you updated!
thats one weird looking seatpost there Dan...
Agreed, Anto! It does look very strange...along with the rest of the bike, according to other riders I meet on the road. A fellow caught up to me last evening and proceeded to ask if that was a "Rooleft" hub in the rear wheel and then proceeded to lecture me on how it was so much slower than a cassette/derailleur setup. He told me he didn't have to ride one to know that -- it was "obvious" to anyone who rode any distance! The bike already attracts a lot of attention around here for looking so "different", partly 'cos people can't classify it in their minds. The frame says "MTB", but the drop handlebars say "road bike" and the rest just confuses them. I figure I've gone so far beyond cool, I've come around the other side of cool again. :D What was it Panasonic used as a tagline in the mid-'80s? "Just slightly ahead of our time©": http://teamreedblog.blogspot.com/2011/04/frugal-schmoogal.html
...a lot of it showing as well, its as well you have a sloping top tube.
<nods> In this case, it is fortunate the top tube does slope so much and allows for a long seatpost; that LT requires a *lot* of room to fit: At least 144mm (LT)/98mm (ST) from the saddle rails to the top of the seat clamp. There's just enough room for me to re-mount my motion-detecting alarm and pump peg with the LT. Plenty of room for them and more on the ST.
oh seriously think i would only use that  for when your going adventure touring but for tarmac touring i would be using the normal seatpost.
;D The Nomad is all about function, jags. I have other bikes "for pretty", but the Nomad is a tool-for-purpose and that makes it among the most beautiful in my eyes in terms of usability for the kinds of places I ride on my tours. The bike is so versatile, I find my tarmac rides turn into MTB journeys as I pass the odd deserted fire road or deer trail and find myself wondering "What's up there?". With the sus-post in place, I can follow whimsy and see...without being "shaken, not stirred" -- and without a headache/neckache!
sorry Dan i just don't like it but if it does what it says on the tin then who am i to disagree with an expert.
Well, that's honest, and I can honestly say I am astounded at just how well the 'post works at this point. It is a revelation that has positively transformed the Nomad in a way I hadn't thought possible. It made a superb bike that bit better for me. I think it will take awhile for the novelty to wear off; first impressions are surprisingly good! And...when I'm sitting on it, I don't see it.  ;)
the rest of the bike is stunning.
Thanks! ;D

Further testing will tell the tale on all of this sus-post experimentation, but early indications have been so very encouraging, I thought I'd make the initial posts now with further reports to follow.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 05:48:45 pm by Danneaux »