Author Topic: Danneaux's Nomad  (Read 229624 times)

jags

Re: Danneaux's Nomad
« Reply #360 on: July 29, 2013, 12:25:23 am »
think of all the money you would save on postage ;)you could even go lightweight warm showers  just find out the addresses of all the lads here and go from house to house then pop over to me.
sha what bother would be on ya. ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #361 on: August 06, 2013, 06:55:51 pm »
Hi All!

I may have whinged a bit on the cost of international shipping and for being on the wrong side of the exchange rates for my recent replacement mudguard order from SJSC, but the service was fantastic!

I placed my order online 28 July and it arrived here in the upper-left corner of 'Merka on the morning of 2 August by special postal courier, damage-free in a custom-made shipping box, all in perfect order.

Now, that's service! Well done, SJS Cycles!

Best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #362 on: August 09, 2013, 06:37:55 pm »
Hi All!

Casting about for a ready means to carry a lightweight camping kit (sub-kilo down bag, self-inflating pad, tent and footprint, my rain gear, Pocket Kitchen [meths stove, windshield, 2 alu bowls and lid with Reflectix cozy], some spare tights and light fleece top, and food, the lot totaling less than 10lb/4.5kg), I found my present expandable rack-top bag a bit shy on space.

I found an Ortlieb Bike Packer Plus pannier with the QL-2 hook system will nicely and securely cleat *atop* a Thorn Expedition rack, making for a 20l rack-top pack. It locks in place as securely as on the side, saves the weight of a second bag, balances evenly side-to-side, and doesn't disturb the handling with the light load I'll be carrying. The rack cross-members are the same ~10mm OD as the top rail and struts, so it was just a matter of adjusting the hooks closer together and setting the lower fins (I use two) so they catch the next cross-member.

Presto! Instant and secure larger rack-pack for free if you already own the panniers.

Best,

Dan. (...who -- despite all appearances -- can do "light" as well as "expedition")
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 03:16:07 pm by Danneaux »

triaesthete

« Reply #363 on: August 09, 2013, 07:10:06 pm »

Excellent lateral thinking Dr Danneaux.  Must we now discuss relative advantage re lateral and vertical displacement of c of g  ;D

Never seen that before.

Well done
Ian

George Hetrick

• retired software engineer in Austin, TX, USA
« Reply #364 on: August 09, 2013, 07:47:00 pm »
I found an Ortlieb Bike Packer Plus pannier with the QL-2 hook system will nicely and securely cleat *atop* a Thorn Expedition rack, making for a 20l rack-top pack.
If all you need is a 20L bag, I'd think about using a Carradice Camper Longflap (920g, 24L) (http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=product&under=type&product_id=35), together with an Bagman expedition rack (434g) (http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=product&under=other&product_id=85).

The Bagman weighs about 1/2 the Thorn rack (853g).

I mean, it's a British bike -- it should have a British saddlebag!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #365 on: August 09, 2013, 07:56:15 pm »
I mean, it's a British bike -- it should have a British saddlebag!
Absolutely, George! And, those are very nice ones you linked to.

On the other hand, I won't be using this much, it is free 'cos I already have it, and I'm chea-- er, "careful" (frugal) and this saves a few coins for Other Projects. There's so many in the works, I have to prioritize. I need to finish two framebuilding projects before I start a third. Then, that Mac of ours went and linked to a rear-wheel-steered recumbent very like the one I have yet to see up close, ridden by a local woman. I have plans in mind for a variation with a twist or two Beyond.

All the best,

Dan. (..whose garage workshop resembles Dr. Frankenstein's Laboratory of Bicycle Vivisection)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 08:00:30 pm by Danneaux »

George Hetrick

• retired software engineer in Austin, TX, USA
« Reply #366 on: August 09, 2013, 08:03:34 pm »
... it is free 'cos I already have it, and I'm chea-- er, "careful"...

I'm force to admit, free is my very favorite price  ;D

triaesthete

« Reply #367 on: August 09, 2013, 08:30:39 pm »
To add lightness at this volume use a Super C saddlebag directly mounted to the saddle as God intended.

-500g for free  ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #368 on: August 09, 2013, 08:37:02 pm »
The Bagman weighs about 1/2 the Thorn rack
...and...
To add lightness at this volume use a Super C saddlebag directly mounted to the saddle as God intended. 500g for free
Ohhhh...blast!

Saved weight vs monetary cost!

What a dilemma~!  ::) :P :-\

All the best,

Dan. (...who will soon weigh less for carrying fewer dollars!)

rualexander

« Reply #369 on: August 09, 2013, 09:43:37 pm »
Hey Dan,

Did you know that today is Boring and Dull day, to celebrate the twinning of Boring, Oregon with Dull, Perthshire?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-23631026
I've been through Dull on my Sherpa, have you been to Boring on your Sherpa or Nomad?
It seems also that Bland in Australia is trying to get in on the act.

P.s. Neat idea with the pannier as a rackpack!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #370 on: August 09, 2013, 09:58:10 pm »
Hi Rual!

Thanks for the heads-up or I might have missed this in the day's excitement!  :D

In any case, I loved the linked news story; thanks so much for your thoughtfulness in posting it. Dull *and* Boring -- a match for the ages!

I have driven through Boring, Oregon by car though not yet by bicycle. There's not much there!  The Boring town was named after a Boring man: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boring,_Oregon  and the residents must live ehm, Boring lives. Boring...but never Dull!  ;)

The bid for tourism seems to be working on this side of the Pond. The unincorporated town now has a website where you can buy printed t-shirts commemorating the new partnership: http://boringoregon.com/ It seems to have made Facebook as well: https://www.facebook.com/BoringOregon

What fun; I'm just tickled you posted this, Rual!

All the best,

Dan. (...who is looking more exciting in comparison)

Andre Jute

« Reply #371 on: August 09, 2013, 10:20:36 pm »
With so many crackheads on the loose in Eugene, and where No lives, Dull, Boring & Bland might be light relief.

Andre Jute
Coiner of the phrase "...a town so dull, six o'clock every evening they roll up the pavements"

macspud

« Reply #372 on: August 09, 2013, 11:46:05 pm »
Then, that Mac of ours went and linked to a rear-wheel-steered recumbent very like the one I have yet to see up close, ridden by a local woman. I have plans in mind for a variation with a twist or two Beyond.

I thought that might get your frame building juices flowing Dan    ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #373 on: August 10, 2013, 01:15:59 am »
I thought that might get your frame building juices flowing Dan
Sure did! Very much appreciated, Mac!

I've had something along those lines in mind for awhile, utilizing camber change and castor effect to invoke a change in direction. Rear-steer bikes don't really have to be steered in the conventional sense unless you wish to make really tight turns at low speeds.

All the best,

Dan. (...for whom such things are sic'em*)

*a regional colloquialism in the Yew Essay: http://www.waywordradio.org/know-here-from-sic-em/ ...and... http://www.nytimes.com/1993/06/13/magazine/on-language-sic-em.html

il padrone

« Reply #374 on: August 10, 2013, 01:55:48 am »
Hey Dan,

Did you know that today is Boring and Dull day, to celebrate the twinning of Boring, Oregon with Dull, Perthshire?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-23631026
I've been through Dull on my Sherpa, have you been to Boring on your Sherpa or Nomad?
It seems also that Bland in Australia is trying to get in on the act.

But down in Tasmania, Kindred is livening things up just a little  ;)