Author Topic: Danneaux's Nomad  (Read 231268 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Danneaux's Nomad
« Reply #345 on: July 25, 2013, 03:16:39 am »
I had not realized that Phil did outboard bottom brackets -- sweet!
Yes, it really is, George. I've owned several of their internal units over the last 30 years, and this one is the prettiest of all. I researched replacement external BBs so carefully, and the Phil units got the best long-term reviews on MTBR.com and elsewhere, enduring longer and requiring fewer replacements than the King units. it is so, so smooth. I hadn't realized the right crankarm is a couple grams heavier at the end until it pulled itself down by its own weight on the Phil BB.

I paid just over USD$100 with shipping early last Fall, figuring I'd need it sooner or later. The same model adjusts to fit either 68mm or 73mm wide bottom bracket shells or eccentrics. You just use spacers to set the cup width to your needs; the center tube is o-ring sealed and slides accordingly.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 03:00:18 am by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #346 on: July 25, 2013, 03:17:27 am »
Hi All!

For those who emailed me asking to see the Nomad towing the Extrawheel trailer while riding, see the photo attached below.

I'm wearing the sun-protective buff (tube of fabric on my head, folded into a beanie with protective neck tail) and sun-protective jersey. Neither was as breathable as a conventional jersey, but did surely stop me from getting sunburned.

Best,

Dan. (...who thinks well-stuffed rear pockets make any jersey look bad)

George Hetrick

• retired software engineer in Austin, TX, USA
« Reply #347 on: July 25, 2013, 03:49:32 am »
Are those Detto Pietros? You are totally old-school, man. You make me feel modern  ;D

Of course, I wear EEE, so Italian shoes were right out for me -- had some British ones made from a foot tracing; I think they were Reynolds.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 03:52:34 am by hetrick »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #348 on: July 25, 2013, 04:01:22 am »
Are those Detto Pietros?
Yep! Article 74s in size 45. I bought out the remaining stock of a mom 'n' pop bike shop in Texas when they closed in...1990? These are single-bolt models; a decade before that, I had a couple double-bolt-cleated models. Old!
You are totally old-school, man. You make me feel modern
George...my job is to make everyone else feel modern!  :D I also bought up a lot of SunTour's Superbe Pro road quill pedals, plus a handful of their track cages and a MTB cage for the one pair that used a licensed version of WTB's GreaseGuard system. Superbe Pros are arguably the best road quill ever produced, with deep-groove Conrad cartridge bearings to locate the forged body on the cr-mo spindle and needle bearings at the point of highest load. Maybe even better then the legendary T/A pedals.
Of course, I wear EEE...
George, between us is one cyclist with average-width feet.  ;)

I don't dare switch to clipless with this many long-lived quill road pedals on hand!

Best,

Dan. (...who is sometimes regarded as a cycling anachronism but prefers the term "fashion-proof")

George Hetrick

« Reply #349 on: July 25, 2013, 04:13:25 am »
These are single-bolt models; a decade before that, I had a couple double-bolt-cleated models. Old!
Dan. (...who is sometimes regarded as a cycling anachronism but prefers the term "fashion-proof")
What, not nail-on cleats? You're modern, after all  :D (remember riding without cleats to mark the soles, so you could mount the cleats? I always did that myself)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #350 on: July 25, 2013, 04:58:25 am »
What, not nail-on cleats? You're modern, after all (remember riding without cleats to mark the soles, so you could mount the cleats? I always did that myself)
George! My long-lost Brother! Yes, I did that too...best way to get the angles right. I had Pavarin alu as well as nylon cleats, and a whole stack of T/A cleats, some with shoe-plates and those tiny little square-shanked nails that had to be clinched-over inside or -- Ouch! I think I had most of the ones on this page http://www.blackbirdsf.org/ta/pedals.html and I'll bet you did, too! Annnnnd...somewhere out in a box in the garage, I have some "walkable" leather touring cleats.

And -- you already guessed this, didn't you? -- all my bikes have toe clips and straps, and the straps on my second rando bike have the little hand-stitched leather bumpers on them. Ah, the great cycling names this brings to my roadie mind...Anquetil, Christophe, Alfreda Binda.

All the best,

Dan. (...who never minds a detour down cycling's Memory Lane -- properly attired, of course!)

George Hetrick

« Reply #351 on: July 25, 2013, 05:24:09 am »
I went to modern pedal and shifting systems long ago, but have been slower to abandon square taper cranksets and threaded headsets.

But, once upon a time, I used those leather cleats on my Lyotard Marcel Berthet pedals attached to my TA Cyclotouriste half-step plus granny  :o

I remember biking from Boston down to the GEAR 77 rally and broke a pedal axle having to do the last 20 or so miles with one pedal. I went to the mobile bike shop at the rally, and the mechanic at first didn't want to sell me pedals, because he "didn't have anything nice enough". I had to point out that whatever he had was better than no pedal at all  :)

Znook

• Me, Robbie!
« Reply #352 on: July 25, 2013, 12:01:13 pm »
Dan, just gonna throw this one in the mix...

Do you reckon the trailer shake is down to the aerodynamics, eg as you're pedalling and therefore one leg goes up, the other down, the air flow is hitting the trailer pannier on the 'leg up' side, whilst the 'leg down' side it's acting as a shield. With this effect occurring maybe, at a certain point, this sets off the wiggle?

Robbie (who, at this moment in time, is on vacation in Walsingham, Norfolk having a well earned beer so could be talking a load of <insert appropriate word here>  ;D)
I'm here, there and everywhere.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #353 on: July 25, 2013, 06:59:55 pm »
I remember biking from Boston down to the GEAR 77 rally and broke a pedal axle having to do the last 20 or so miles with one pedal...
What a story, George! 'Glad you came out alright with a replacement pedal of some kind. Those Berthet pedals were lovely things, though the cages would sometimes come un-riveted. There have been some occasionally very nice attempts at making some spiritual successors, usually with CNC'd alu bodies.
Do you reckon the trailer shake is down to the aerodynamics, eg as you're pedalling and therefore one leg goes up, the other down, the air flow is hitting the trailer pannier on the 'leg up' side, whilst the 'leg down' side it's acting as a shield. With this effect occurring maybe, at a certain point, this sets off the wiggle?
Now, that's an intriguing thought, Robbie; thanks! And no need to qualify the origins...I sometimes get my best ideas while taking a shower or soaking in the tub; good thoughts are sure to come with the well-earned beer as well!

I suppose it is possible, though the aerodynamic forces wouldn't be as great at, say, 10mph/16kph as they would be at higher speeds, and the manifestation was just so terribly random. It is true that single-wheel trailers can be more subject to crosswinds and the drafts of passing vehicles than are two-wheeled trailers. I still think the extremely loose tolerances on the q/r-hitches are a factor. I will contact Extrawheel with a full report, but they have already promised to send me a couple prototype q/r-hitches that are developing, so we'll see if that makes a difference. I don't want to risk another rear mudguard, however. That is a hazard I didn't foresee, but I think it could apply in any instance where the towing bike was equipped with conventional mudguards. The trailer really can bounce high on rough roads. Same thing happens when crawling from one side of a ditch to the other at very low speed; the trailer wheel goes up and the fork/tongue fouls the little nuts that secure the mudguards to the 'guard bridge.

The trailer is stable as can be in the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap--Wdr1g8g I should film mine for comparison. At best, it looks just like that...except when it doesn't, in which case it whips side-to-side in ever widening arcs...till it doesn't.

It always bothers me when I can't get to the root cause of any anomaly. I might not be able to correct it, but just understanding it better would be a great help. All thoughts welcome; thanks, Robbie!

Best,

Dan. (...who really made a mess for himself by forgetting to close the 1l bottle stopper when transporting the Nomad in the Honda. Had to pull the entire car interior for drying in two days' sunshine and isn't done yet)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 12:30:32 am by Danneaux »

moodymac

« Reply #354 on: July 26, 2013, 05:07:53 pm »
Dan,

Thanks for the answers to the lower chain ring, sprocket question.  Your answers are never too long, just extremely informative.  I had forgotten about the warranty issues.  In the world I currently live in (I own and operate a class 8 tractor and semitrailer) I am constantly concerned with weights and torque.  And I had never given consideration as to what stresses could be put on a bike by pedal power!  (I had always thought of the stresses put on me!).

I am a retired police officer (since 1992) and have been in this (trucking) business ever since.  As a cop I commuted by bike most of the 21 years I served (almost unheard of back then), and made a lot of day tours on off days.  This and a weight lifting/running program served to keep me in very good physical condition.  The last twenty some years (I am 65) are a different story!  In this business "if the wheels are not turning:  your not earning" could not be truer.  This and a lack of motivation has resulted in 265 pounds of blubbering mass. (I was 195 in peak condition).  My muscle mass is almost shot, the only real strength is in the arms and chest (from the steering wheel).  Legs, back and most of torso are all weak.  The only good thing is that the structure is still sound.  I have chosen the bicycle and hiking as a way to keep me from an early grave.  I will purchase a bike, use it at home, and mount it on the truck to use in many interesting places that I travel.

In an attempt to keep on subject, I would like to commend the thorn forum.  There has never been a day that something new and interesting has not been learned.  From yourself, Andre, Jim K, Andybg, Pete, Jags (who if we ever met I am sure would become great friends [great minds and all that] I have obtained a wealth of knowledge.  I have left a lot of people out (memory).

Sorry to get back with you so late, but am en route with a load (Springhill, NS, CA to Fort Worth, TX, US).

Tom

jags

« Reply #355 on: July 26, 2013, 05:26:06 pm »
HI TOM i'm sitting her trying to build a picture of you in my mind,i done a charity run 2 sundays ago i hit the front of a fast moving group and stayed at the front for maybe 10 miles, but the guy that was pushing things along was a feckin Giant of a man in his late 50's.i knew a lot of guys in that group were thinking ah he wont last long up  he's to much weight on him ,yeah right he soon burned off a lot of young dudes in that group.
anyway point i'm trying to make your only as young as you feel as long as you keep the legs turning all is right with the world.
btw why are you not retired i know the guards here (POLICE) retire at 57 on a great pension.
anyway i'm rambling again i'm good at that. keep trucking Tom post a few photos buddy. ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #356 on: July 26, 2013, 06:08:55 pm »
Fascinating story, Tom, with some parallels in my own family, so a little digression.

In high school, I wanted to be a police officer. Later, I ended up teaching them public administration so they could advance through the administrative ranks in their departments.

My Uncle Keith always drove truck, first heating-oil deliveries, then hauling syrup for Coca-Cola before making longer runs for a regional subsidiary of EXXON through a four-state area. He frequently packed a bike on a rack behind his sleeper cab so he'd have a way to work the kinks out of his legs at rest stops and to go in to the truck-stop store when parked on the fringes of their sometimes very large lots (like at the Little America stops). He found it was the constant sitting while driving combined with road food that took his physical conditioning and the bike is what pulled him out of it.

My father took early retirement at age 63 after 30 years in accounting/auditing, which meant he was deskbound for most of his career. On retirement, he wanted a pursuit that would take him outdoors, but without the shock of running. Looking at my interest in bikes, he got one and went touring with me. Our last tour together was a wilderness one, the week before his 74th birthday. He's 95 now, and the doctors think his present generally good health still reflects his earlier, post-retirement exercise. The point being, don't despair! Things may not feel as firmly in place as they once did, but the good news is how amazingly quickly one can become fit with even modest, moderate cycling whenever the opportunity presents itself. You're taking all the right steps to make it happen (again), Tom. That good structure will be the framework on which firm muscles redevelop. Age is with you, and you've not that far to go to get into "fighting trim" again, so all encouragement your way.

As for bicycle gearing and torque, I often think of my output like that of a little diesel -- high initial torque from rest, then a real narrow power band I can stay in by shifting through a myriad of gears (...and, I have been known to make "Brrrrt-brrrrt-brrrrt" noises as I start pedaling and shifting, to complete the effect). I really do find I deal with the same issues you do when trucking, trying to balance weights and torque. This last test-tour was a "heavy haul" and was much different from a "short hop" or "local delivery" in terms of my speed and the distance that allowed. There is a fine line between weight, speed, and the distance it allows. If I weren't so risk-averse in truly remote areas, I could probably go with a very light bike and load and make a good, consistent 125mi/200km day after day and do it with far less food and water carried, speed and distance making the difference. The analogy would be the ultralight through-hiker who "cleans" the Pacific Crest Trail compared to a more heavily-laden backpacker who might not have access to mail drops for resupply and so carries more of his own.

There's a real balance to be made between the two extremes, and I'd always done my past tours on road bike-based tourers with 700C (or earlier, 27") wheels and skinny, high-pressure tires. As I came to do truly self-supported solo tours in remote areas, the need for greater supplies and safety margins became apparent, and I moved to the Sherpa, then Nomad to support this very different "touring lifestyle". Going solo on such trips means going heavier, 'cos there's no one else along to split the load -- the entire weight of tent, stove, fuel, cookware, and tools are all hauled by just one person. To offset this heaviest sort of touring, I've assembled my "SOL Kit" for emergency use and casual overnighters (or even several nighters, provided I can resupply with food and water) that will get the job done (hot food, warm, dry place to sleep) using only my rear rack and a rack-pack for as little as 8lbs/3.6kg. Just a couple days ago, I upgraded the 29 year-old Blackburn alu rod racks on my blue rando/touring bike to Tubus Tara and Logo Evo so I can swap-on my Ortieb bags without the hassle of changing adapter shims. I won't be using a handlebar bag, just the four panniers, and the only rack-top load will be my one-person tent, sleeping bag, and pad carried inside the rear bags with rain gear and minimal clothing. The frame will carry a more modest 2.75l of water (compared to the Nomad's 6.5l), and I'll carry only my little 21g beer can penny stove and alu bowl set compared to my Coleman Peak 1 multi-fuel stove, a liter of fuel, and my carry box/cookset. The heavier stuff is actually more weight efficient considering the greater energy density of white gas or unleaded petrol compared to alcohol and longer time away from resupply, but in the short term and for fast-and-light, the ultralight kit has the edge, allowing me to cover far more ground in a day. The blue rando bike is perfectly happy touring with a maximum of 18kg, so now I will have both ends of the touring spectrum nicely covered.

In the end, it is horses for courses, and the Nomad surely is doing well at the heavy end of things while remaining usable at the upper end of the all-rounder spectrum. Ride quality/comfort is very much determined by tire pressure and volume, but all seems good with nice stable handling throughout. It takes awhile to really "learn" and trust a bike, and I feel I'm building a relationship with the Nomad by the day (and ride). Remember, this is my first bike of this sort/weight-carrying class, and my last new bike was an '89 model purchased in 1991. Before that, the latest was a purchase made in 1984. Except for the occasional frame I might hobby-build, the Nomad is likely to be  the last bike I will purchase outright for the next 20 years. I'm 53 now, and that would put me about where Dad (Jack) was when we took our last tour. Something new will come out by then and is sure to catch my eye.

Take care Out There, Tom; very nice to have you aboard as well. Each member contributes, whether with questions or answers, and we're all the richer for it.

Best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #357 on: July 28, 2013, 10:06:04 pm »
Hi All!

Wow! That last test-tour proved expensive. I just placed my order with SJS Cycles for a new pair of SKS P55 mudguards so I could replace the rear one fractured by the trailer hopping up repeatedly and catching the mudguard stay bolts till the 'guard broke.

Reasonable price for the 'guards, but being "Away" from the UK, international shipping ran to £40 and then I'm on the wrong side of the exchange rate with the weak dollar, so the final tab for replacement mudguards was just a few pennies over USD$100. Not anyone's fault for the cost, really, just the way it is. US domestic postage has skyrocketed as well, often costing far more than the item, as here.

SKS' US distributor's mudguards aren't the same as the Euro version, so it was take a deep breath and then hit the "Buy" button to restore a matching set to the Nomad. Lotsa work ahead.

Whew. I saw stars on this one.

Really hoping they arrive undamaged.

Best,

Dan. (...who is dabbling a toe in the deep end of the pool by inquiring about a security bolt for The Plug2+, along with front and rear hub skewers from Atomic22)

jags

« Reply #358 on: July 28, 2013, 11:43:16 pm »
Dan i reckon you would be much better off taking your nomad over to the UK for a grand tour stock up on parts from sjs at cost price ;) and then hop over here fly back from dublin.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #359 on: July 29, 2013, 12:20:59 am »
Now, jags, that sounds like a grand idea! Sign me up!

All the best,

Dan. (...who has collected "air miles" for people-flights and wishes he has some to defray the Nomad's fare as well).