Author Topic: Danneaux's Nomad  (Read 229668 times)

jags

Re: Danneaux's Nomad
« Reply #285 on: July 14, 2013, 10:42:28 am »
Well Dan D day has arrieved are all systems a go. 8)
best of irish luck  for your tour be carefull out there and keep us all in the picture.

cheers
 jags.

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #286 on: July 14, 2013, 06:04:14 pm »
Well Dan D day has arrieved are all systems a go. 8)
best of irish luck  for your tour be carefull out there and keep us all in the picture.

Ditto from Oz, Dan. Godspeed (and a following wind) for a fun and hassle-free tour.

Sam

Donnydid

« Reply #287 on: July 14, 2013, 07:02:51 pm »
Hi Dan

Have a great trip, looking forward to seeing your photo's and vids!

Dave

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #288 on: July 14, 2013, 10:56:33 pm »
Looking forward to receiving your first report from the road.
God speed my friend
Matthew
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #289 on: July 15, 2013, 07:49:21 am »
Hi All!

Thanks so much for the good wishes, Fellows; they didn't go amiss and are very much appreciated.

I spent pretty much all day today glued to the computer weather reports, making inquiries in the areas I would be riding, and checking NOAA, and things do not look safe for me to embark on the trip I had planned. Temperatures are at record highs in populated areas and much higher in the open, unshaded desert.

The latest weather forecast has been upgraded to Lightning Activity Level 3, thunderstorms, hail, and 50mph winds with fires predicted. See: http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/halfway-or/97834/weather-warnings/2187695 Worse, the weather is predicted to be at or near 100°F/38°C for the next three weeks -- right when and where I would be: http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/halfway-or/97834/july-weather/2187695 Worse yet: The temperatures on the reflected east side of Steens Mountain in the Alvord are likely to be another 20-25°F hotter. I know from experience I can make it alright three days in a row in air temperatures of 125°F/ 52°C with 6.5-10l fluid intake/day, but each day, my core becomes more dehydrated. I can't safely make it through the fourth day in the open with no shade in such low humidity, working as I would have to in the high heat and steep grades. Nighttime riding is a possibility, but then I wouldn't see what I came for, and the tent is insufficient shelter from the temperatures I'd deal with, being even hotter on the desert floor's surface. It would be as bad in the mountain canyons on the double-backed curves of FR-39 that comprises the core section of the Hells Canyon Overlook. If the woods close due to fire danger as predicted, I'd be over there with nowhere to go anyway.

I've got the time for a tour blocked out, and I'm not going to miss out on going *some*where, so I have decided to string together a series of shorter tours in more temperate climes.

I'll drop by the Bureau of Land Management district office early tomorrow morning and pick up a new map for the Coast Range with current township, range, section, and spur road numbers. Goal for Tour 1 will be to leave Eugene to cross deep into the Coast Range and spend two nights there, bisecting Cannibal Mountain before dropping down to Five Rivers, then following the Yachats River to Yachats on the mid-Oregon coast and stay in the little cabin owned by my family before touring down the coast to the town of Reedsport, where I'll follow the Smith River upstream to Wolf Creek Pass, then on home to Eugene once again and then ready myself for the next tour to the Calapooya Mountains and lower Cascades. It was 28°F cooler in Yachats today than it was in Eugene, where it hit 92°F/33°C.

I plan my trips well in advance with great care, and you can imagine my disappointment at deferring this one to a future date. This evening, I called a friend of 36 years who offered to standby in the event of an emergency, and learned he and his wife were so concerned about the temperatures, they'd planned to surprise me by following my route and meeting me at one of my stops with cold drinks and some treats -- a thoughtful gesture beyond what I could have imagined or hoped for. They were on the verge of calling me to reconsider the trip and were much relieved at my change of plans.

Well...I'll still get a tour; a nice one with a couple more to follow, and will be off within another day or two. My goal is to avoid knowingly putting myself or others in danger when pursuing my fun. A key part of Extreme Touring is being Extremely Responsible and this is the right action for these circumstances. If it cools sufficiently and there's time before the Fall rains turn the playa to pudding, I have my route all ready and planned and can go then if I can juggle some scheduled commitments.

Disappointed though I am, this will give me a chance to really test and sort out the bike and equipment in hard touring conditions and then address any shortcomings in a reasonable timeframe. Much is new for this year: Bike and drivetrain, power-generating trailer and the bags for it, the sleeping bag, tent (for bike tours), pad, netbook, portable 4G LTE hotspot, solar panel and accumulator, and so on. If adjustments are needed, they can be made easily before going off on the next tour deep into the Calapooya mountains, perhaps with a side trip to Crater Lake National Park, which is always pretty at any time of year.

So, thanks for your kind words and thoughts; they'll be just as good for the adjusted tour in the opposite direction.

All the best,

Dan. (...who today was reminded that discretion really is the better part of valor. It is good to be brave, but it is also good to be careful.; If you are careful, you will not get into situations that require you to be brave)

Andybg

« Reply #290 on: July 15, 2013, 08:47:40 am »
Hi Dan

I think you have made a very wise if saddening decision. We at the Evers family were waiting with baited breath for the ongoing updates of progress. I sometimes find the routes least planned end up being the most rewarding and the most intersting and I am sure this one that got away will be firmly in the crosshairs for another time.

Andy

jags

« Reply #291 on: July 15, 2013, 01:34:06 pm »
better safe than sorry Dan, you can still enjoy a few shorter tours.
that sure is crazy weather glad you seen the light. ;)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #292 on: July 15, 2013, 02:25:09 pm »
There is so much beautiful countryside where you are! Enjoy the exploration! Definitely smart to watch conditions and adjust plans! Maybe it will turn out serendipitous and you'll discover some gem of a new cycling territory!

geocycle

« Reply #293 on: July 15, 2013, 07:22:01 pm »
Sounds like a wise decision. I'm currently in Vermont where temp and humidity are in the 90s. I had been about to hire a bike as its great cycling country but instead I'm by the pool with the family. Enjoy your plan B, sometimes spontaneous trips are the best.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #294 on: July 15, 2013, 07:36:49 pm »
Thanks Jags, Jim, Geo', Andy, Matt, Dave, and Sam, and All!

I'm feeling much better about my decision after a disappointing evening. This/these tours will be lovely substitutes through some gorgeous, deep forest and then along some very pretty coastal scenery before ducking back inland again riding alongside the beautiful Smith River. As a bonus, that river has scoured out some shallow pools and depressions, and one can simply leave the roadway, scramble down a little bank and choose the pool/temperature you wish to soak in for awhile if the day is feeling warm. This will re-create the first bike tour I took with my father many years ago, so happy memories will be triggered the whole way.

Geo', do take care; humidity + heat can be a wholly enervating combination! I never realized that till I lived for a year in Mississippi and thought I'd melt; didn't really feel like doing any cycling there on the hotter days of summer. Given that, poolside with family is awfully hard to beat!

All the best,

Dan. (...who is off -- with a spring in his step -- to the BLM office to get those maps showing the Coast Range forest-access and logging roads)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #295 on: July 15, 2013, 08:45:56 pm »
Hey Geo - Vermont is not far from the Catskills! If you want a side trip, biking or hiking, I can show you some pretty country!

Donnydid

« Reply #296 on: July 15, 2013, 09:13:32 pm »
Hi Dan

Sorry to hear your plans have changed due to the weather, it really is some crazy weather
your getting over there but you will get the opportunity later to follow your plans.
Your substitute plans sound exciting to me so I will be looking forward to reading your trip
reports and looking forward to seeing your photo's.

Take care and enjoy your trip!

Dave

geocycle

« Reply #297 on: July 15, 2013, 09:24:07 pm »
Hey Geo - Vermont is not far from the Catskills! If you want a side trip, biking or hiking, I can show you some pretty country!
Would love to, but this is a family trip so I'm having to keep my cycling in check! I'm completely blown away by Vermont even in a heat wave. This is also my first time to New England. Ill be definitely back with a bike at some point.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #298 on: July 15, 2013, 09:32:54 pm »
I'm completely blown away by Vermont even in a heat wave. This is also my first time to New England.

Lots of beautiful country about, that's for sure! Glad you can enjoy it with family!

jags

« Reply #299 on: July 15, 2013, 09:50:25 pm »
two guys from my town are just finishing off there charity tour across America in Dan back yard as we speak ,well Oregon there having a ball blown away by the scenery and more over i think the  generous nature of Americans.they used warm showers for the intire tour. 8)
http://daveandgerrystransamcharitycycle.wordpress.com/
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 10:26:39 pm by jags »