Author Topic: Danneaux's Nomad  (Read 231576 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Danneaux's Nomad
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2013, 01:23:33 am »
Hi All!

Today was a stellar day in Danneauxville, as my SunMate umbrella hat arrived in today's mail from Korea. I've been looking at a variety of collapsible sun hats for awhile, and the final choice was down to this one, a rival from Vietnam, or a contender from Thailand. This one edged out the rest for a variety of reasons:
• Aluminized outer fabric with a nice, dark blue inner
• Sturdy metal frame that opens and closes securely and has blunted rib-tips
• Vented crown/canopy
• Chin strap to help prevent blowoff
• Carry sack
• 64.7cm/25.5" diameter is "just right" for head-and-shoulders protection
• Adjustable elastic head band that "floats" the canopy above my head for air circulation
• Weighs only 147.4g/5.2oz
• Packs to 39x5cm/15.5x2in
• USD$15.99 delivered

True, I can't use it when the wind picks up, but it will be ideal for those times when the wind is calm and the air temperatures are hovering right around 52°C/125°F and 60°/140°F surface temps on the desert floor, in canyons, or in the middle of dry-lake beds (photo). Best of all, it will tuck right under my rear rack straps, next to the dry sack that holds my sleeping bag, silk liner, pillow, and sleeping pad. It deploys in seconds and will be ideal with my Alite Monarch Butterfly rocking camp chair. It is no fun to sit on hot melted tar at rest breaks; it sticks to the skin and burns, taking patches off when it is peeled off after cooling.

This will be much more fun when desert touring with the Nomad this Spring!

Best,

Dan. (...who thinks this may also prevent mind-reading)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 06:40:27 pm by Danneaux »

il padrone

« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2013, 02:41:06 am »
Staggering how it can be so green in places like Portland and Eugene, then so absolutely barren just over the ranges in the desert. Seems even more of a contrast than the difference between Melbourne and say, Broken Hill. The distance to get out there is about 1000kms. How far apart are these two photos, Dan?

BTW, just saw a friend's slideshow about touring through Washington, Oregon and California. Great scenery. He reckons Eugene is a real hippy town - looks like you might fit in Dan ??? :D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 02:42:55 am by il padrone »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2013, 03:22:34 am »
Hi Pete!

Yes, there are some real climatic contrasts in Oregon. Going from West to East, there's the Coast and Coast Range of mountains, the Willamette Valley, the volcanic Cascade mountain range, then the high-desert plateaus of Central Oregon. Eastern and southeastern Oregon really is a different world.

Eugene is so green because it is in the rain shadow of the Coast range, one of the wettest regions in the country. Valsetz gets 128in/3.25m of rain annually. The prevailing storms come in over the Coast range, stall against the Cascades, and dump their loads of water on us. The Willamette Valley  (pronounce it "Will-AM-ett" so you'll sound like you grew up in "ORY-gun") has a pretty moderate climate. At the extremes I recall it getting as cold as -12°F/-24°C and as warm as 112°F/44°C on my front porch here in Eugene. Usually, it runs between the low 20sF/-5°C and about 95F/35°C tops with a lot of the summer in the upper 70sF/25°C. Most of this winter has been really mild with only one light snowfall to date, though Valley winters feel much colder because of the humidity. In Central Oregon, I've gone outside in 5°F-15°C temps and put on tire chains in the snow wearing only jeans and a golf shirt -- it is dry-cold there and feels much warmer for it (makes good powder for skiing, too!).

Eugene is right at 62mi/100km from the Coast and the same distance from the summit of the Cascades.

Desert like in the photo above (Silver Lake) is as close as 125mi/240km in air miles from Eugene. the Alvord desert is about 240mi/400km by air from Eugene.

There's a surprising amount of real desert in the state, including the Alvord ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvord_Desert ...and... http://annemckinnell.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/california_20130101__MG_8690-Edit-Edit_lg.jpg ), North Lake County's sand dunes ( http://www.christmasvalley.org/sanddunes.php ), and the Lost Forest ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lost_Forest_Sand_Dunes_Lakeview_BLM,_Oregon.jpg ).

One of my favorites is the Black Rock Desert in neighboring Nevada:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kluft-photo-Black-Rock-Desert-Aug-2005-Img_5081.jpg

[Your friend] reckons Eugene is a real hippy town
Oh, he's absolutely correct, Pete, it is where Old Hippies come to live and die. Tie-dyed clothing is still popular here, and lots of people still say "cool" and "far out, Man". The area is often referred to as Berzerkley (Berkeley, California) North.
...looks like you might fit in Dan
Trust me, Pete...I've got a ways to go to "fit in" with the hippie lifestyle.  ;)

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 04:03:40 am by Danneaux »

il padrone

« Reply #123 on: February 26, 2013, 04:16:39 am »
Hi Dan

Those are much more barren desert regions than anything we have, apart from areas of the Lake Eyre Basin I guess. Most Australian desert regions are actually vegetated, and even have large areas of sparse woodlands. The closest 'desert' to us here is the Big Desert and Little Desert in the Mallee of western Victoria which are 400-600kms(280-400miles) away. But they are not really deserts, named as such because they have very sandy soils and no surface water. They actually have reasonable rainfall - about 400mm/16" annually.

Big Desert fire - an ecological burn for fuel control and regeneration

The real deserts don't begin until you get out of Victoria and then most of our true deserts are in South Australia, Western Australia and the Northern Territory. Still here, a lot of the desert lands are well vegetated, as we found on our tour to The Centre. I guess there is a much greater level of plant and animal evolution to survive (and thrive) in the desert here.

Desert Oak woodland, near Angus Downs, NT.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #124 on: March 02, 2013, 03:53:53 am »
Hi All!

It is early Spring in Oregon's Willamette Valley, and I took the Nomad out for a quick 66km ride in the countryside north of Eugene this afternoon, averaging 27kph with a headwind on the way back (of course). The air smelled of growing things, with new little lambs, daffodils, and crocuses in the fields. The weather is still unsettled, and we (the Nomad and I) dodged a few storms and were caught by others. Nevertheless, it was a great ride, as all are, and I'm glad I went. Here's a few photos from the trip...

Best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #125 on: March 02, 2013, 04:36:51 am »
Beautiful country! Where I am it is still mud and old snow. Hints of warmth from the sun much not much. The winter tires should come off mid-month & back to Supremes which should be fun - they corner well!

Andybg

« Reply #126 on: March 02, 2013, 07:00:28 am »
Fantastic photos Dan. Spring is definetly in the air.

27kph average!!!!!!!

I'll have to do some more training before I come over for a visit (or maybe just pack a tow rope)

Andy

ianshearin

« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2013, 07:50:50 am »
Great pics Dan  :)

Im interested in the 27kph you were doing, that seems high for a touring bike, is that your normal average or were you pushing it?
What tyres were you using on that run?

I get my Bike Monday so I am looking forward to see what sort of speed I will be getting on a casual long ride. I was expecting a lot less than your average speed but would be pleasantly surprised if I could manage 20+ kph
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

Andybg

« Reply #128 on: March 02, 2013, 08:37:52 am »
Hi Ian

My averages for a touring bike range between 20-25kmh depending on terain (hills really kill averages) and on the loaing of the bike (between 22kg (bike and bits) to 60kg (bike plus load). It can drop to 18 when towing a heavy trailer.

It is very easy to get hung up on averages but they are very suseptible to lots of factors (including wind and to a lesser extent wet roads).

For planning purposes I work on an averge of 20kph when working out how long I will be out on the bike.

Hope this helps

(Yes Dan is quick)

Andy

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #129 on: March 02, 2013, 09:20:47 am »
Hi All!

It is early Spring in Oregon's Willamette Valley, and I took the Nomad out for a quick 66km ride in the countryside north of Eugene this afternoon, averaging 27kph with a headwind on the way back (of course). The air smelled of growing things, with new little lambs, daffodils, and crocuses in the fields. The weather is still unsettled, and we (the Nomad and I) dodged a few storms and were caught by others. Nevertheless, it was a great ride, as all are, and I'm glad I went. Here's a few photos from the trip...

Best,

Dan.

Hi Dan.
I thought all you folks the other side of the pond were in mph?
Weight always appears in lbs and you fill your gas tanks with gallons (not the same vol. as ours I know).

I have yet to establish an average mph/kph on my Old Bird but think she's a goer  ;)
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #130 on: March 02, 2013, 09:21:45 am »
Hi guys!

Just about to head to bed here, as it is well into t'morrow here already.

When I'm in late-Spring shape, my running average on my 32lb/14.5kg touring bikes often hovers around 17-21mph/27-34kph on flat ground in largely windless conditions when I push it. Add in some hills or wind or me going with the flow, and that typically drops to 15.6mph/25kph. This is, of course, all unladen or lightly loaded (2l of water, 2.26kg in the handlebar bag, maybe 1 kg in the underseat bag or rack pack).

This is early in the season and on the heavier Nomad so yes, I was pushing it, and hard. That's why I kept the distance shorter. I ended tired but not dead and any aches on arrival soon left. I was doing better on the outgoing northern leg, but by late afternoon, ran into that headwind on the way back. In Summer it reverses and I try to beat North as far as I can as early as I can, 'cos the wind starts coming down the Valley like clockwork at 10:30AM and it just bats me up. I could see my speed increase today when I went down on the drops. 'Couldn't ride without them after so many years with.

I'm a spinner, pedaling fast and light and shifting to keep my cadence up (cadence first, speed second. Think: Diesel truck). I actually tried mashing briefly at ~80RPM today, and I think the Rohloff rewards a nice, smooth spin (but that's my default, so it may just have been me being more comfortable). My typical cadence is 110-120RPM, and I spent nearly all day in Gear 11/direct drive @ 55 gear-inches or Gear 12 @ 62 gear-inches, my two favorite level-ground/still-air cruising gears on my half-step derailleur bikes, so it felt familiar. I am so glad I changed to a 36x17 for my needs. It gave me a true High range (37"-80") for cruising that is silent when pedaling and a true Low range (15"-33") that is noisier but great for the hilly stuff. 80 gear-inches may sound pretty wimpy at the top end, but it puts me around 45kph when it is wound-out and anything beyond that, I coast. The real benefit of the gearing change is it gave me my same familiar gears from the derailleur bikes. When the wind picked up, I dropped to my Gear 10 @48", and in gusts I dropped to my familiar headwind gear of 42 (Gear 9). The 38-gear incher conquers all the little roller-hills, as before.

Tire pressures were an experiment today. I'm running 26x2.0 Schwalbe Duremes, and I aired them F/R to 29/34psi // 2/2.3bar. It worked pretty well, but I did stop briefly and let an additional "puff" out of the front tire. I checked when I got home, and it was at 27psi/1.9bar and felt more comfortable but on the edge of noticeably losing efficiency. I'll probably go back to 29psi/2bar. I think I got away with so little air in the front 'cost 1) I was largely unladen except for the HB bag and two 1l bottles up front and 2) I'm running a 590M frame and to use compact drops with it, I'm also running a 60mm stem. Bottom line, not a lot of my weight is directly over the front wheel; the brake hoods where I place my hands are about 4.25in/10.8cm behind the front axle centerline. My back is at about 45° when riding the brake hoods.

I tried playing with the speed, my cadence, and the gearing on the ride, and I found the bike would very happily trundle along at about 14.4mph/23kph. A fun pursuit is to catch-up riders ahead, and I dispatched several on heavy bikes and those little pursuits were around 29kph briefly in the 62" gear, but I couldn't keep it up. It wasn't like I was going to cough up a lung or anything, but I really felt it this early in the season. I need to start laying in some 200km days back-to-back to get really ready for my Spring tour. Over that longer distance and in shape, I would expect my running average to drop to around 15.6mph/25.6kph. For comparison my last 400km ride on the much lighter (32lb/14.5kg) rando bike, I averaged 13.3mph/21kph in 10 of the 24 hours of total riding time*, and that included a lot of climbing. the last 14 hours would have likely been faster 'cos much was downhill. It also took me till mid-August to get in that kind of shape. With a load on the Nomad for touring the back of beyond, all bets are off. I'll probably keep to my daily average distance of ~73mi/117km and the running average will be whatever it is, probably edging down toward around 12mph/19kph, depending on hills, winds, and surface. I often grind along with a full load at around 2.5-3.5mph/4-5.6kph on steep gravel and dirt grades.

Compared to my lighter rando bikes and the tandem, I would expect to average around 15mph/24kph on long rides on level round. I haven't done any for comparison yet; my 200 km rides were in hilly-mountainous terrain and on logging roads, so were much slower than that. I was also "exploring". That's part of the reason I flogged myself a bit today, to see how it might do. I can't wait till I'm in better condition to see what "groove" it falls into naturally. It it happens to be as low as 10-12mph/16-19kph, I'll not be unhappy. As Andy so astutely pointed out, anything can/does skew an average, so it really shouldn't be a prime measure, just one data point among others.

*My PlanetBike Protege 9 computer is great except it only figures average speed on a 10-hour timebase. Go past 10 hours and it keeps the average up to that point but shows an "E" (Error) for any time thereafter -- sad.

My impression is the Nomad is not as fast as the rando bike, but when I look at the running average on the corrected computer readout, it isn't as slow as it seems and is amazingly close to my other bikes. Part of that impression is the Nomad's almost complete lack of the high-frequency vibration I experience on the rando bike with its 700x32C road slicks running 85psi/5.9psi. I can spread my fingers and they don't even quiver on the Nomad. On the rando bike, they sometimes blur at the tips. The difference? High-volume tires run at low pressures. Except for the 26x1.5s on the tandem, the Sherpa and Nomad are my first real experience with fat roadie tires. It is a lot to wrap my mind around and the results are contrary to my old roadie riding experience, but they don't seem to hold me back very much at all. It is amazing to ride over concrete expansion joints and not feel them. At all.

Remember, this is a Nomad rather than an RST, RT or Raven, and it is a heavy bike -- about 20kg bare as I have it setup dry and unladen. It feels much like when I have ridden my tandem solo (it weighs 21kg). It doesn't exactly jump to speed (the lighter Sherpa was livelier), but once there, it is pretty easy to keep the momentum going. Really, I think it acquits itself remarkably well for an expedition bike really designed for and intended to carry massive loads. Business of Life things have interfered with my finishing the bike -- I still have to install the lights and charging system and wrap the 'bar padding, then done -- but I have been meaning to rob the 25x1.5 skinwall slicks off the tandem to give a go for a day. They made the Sherpa feel like a jet fighter plane when accelerating, as they are so much lighter than the Duremes (and treadless and flat-prone and have less air volume and smaller tubes, etc). It would be fun to see what effect they have on the Nomad. Of course, they will alter the effective geometry a bit, but I'd like to see what it feels like briefly before going back to the Duremes.

Hope something in here helps, Ian. It is not a contest, just a series of data points, and I don't make a point of riding fast (I'm bog-slow compared to many of the other riders around here on lightweight racing bikes). I'd always rather emphasize the enjoyable aspects of a ride like scenery or good conversation with a partner than the distance or speed and usually don't make a point of noting how far or fast as I don't want to fall into the trap of an over-riding self-competitive goal. Been there, done that, enjoyed it less than what I do now. In this case, I was deliberately trying to answer the same questions as Ian's: "Wot'll she do?".

I've had the bike for about 6 months now and need to post my notes and impressions of the Rohloff. The balance is on the favored side, and closely mirrors what Andy Blance wrote in Living with a Rohloff.

Time for sleep.

Best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #131 on: March 02, 2013, 09:26:45 am »
I thought all you folks the other side of the pond were in mph?
Weight always appears in lbs and you fill your gas tanks with gallons (not the same vol. as ours I know).
Yep. Matt, my dream is to live long enough to see the Yew Essay adopt the metric system as standard. At nearly 53, I'm not sure I'll make it. There's a lot of opposition, and it is holding us back and costing us dearly. By putting things in both standards, I figure I'm doing my small part and staying in practice "just in case" we have an outbreak of good sense and go Decimal.
I have yet to establish an average mph/kph on my Old Bird but think she's a goer
Oh, she looks fast, Matt; a goer she is, no doubt about it!

Best,

Dan. (...who is really off to bed this time, g'night all)

jags

« Reply #132 on: March 02, 2013, 01:04:15 pm »
don't think i ever got over 13mph average on the sherpa and i was going well  i can guarantee it will never see 15 mph average  not unless i loan it to my son. ;D
the supream tires made a big difference to the sherpa i had  marathon plus on and hated them so the lighter supreams were a god send i keep them at 70 pressure seem's fine to me.

Dan your an animal on a bike how am i gonna slow you down. 8)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2013, 11:20:05 pm »
Hi All!

After a long search, I think I have found the ideal handlebar tape to compression-wrap over my Grab-On foam grips -- Serfas' Textured Ultra Grip 'Bar Tape. I paid USD$24 for mine, and it turned out to be worth every penny. See:
https://www.serfas.com/products/view/253/referer:products%7Cindex%7Cbike-accessories%7Cbar-tape

Why?

• It has an adhesive backing that is secure, yet allows for re-wrapping without sticky residue if you need to adjust your wraps as you go.
• The surface is washable.
• There's just enough surface grip to hold on nicely to bare hands or gloves, yet it isn't sticky and won't pick up dirt.
• The black color I chose is a dead-on match for the frame's matte finish. Not flat or shiny, just a nice soft satin finish. No goofy logos, either; just a nice sort of wavy-patterned texture.
• It is 1/3 longer than other 'bar wraps. This was a big draw for me, as I am running 44cm wide 'bars, and I wanted to wrap the tape over my foam Grab-Ons to protect them from weather and sun. A similar setup on the tandem and Miyata has lasted nearly 25 years and still looks fresh. The tape protects the foam and the foam has enough give to keep the tape from wearing through. The combination of the two makes a nice, large 'bar diameter to spread pressure evenly across my hands. The padded tape compresses the foam so the lot is firm without being squishy or hard, and the end result is highly shock-absorbent.
• It is stretchy and has rebound and wraps beautifully. My little trick when wrapping is to insert the end plugs, but leave them clear of the bar ends by about 3mm. When I start the wrap, I stretch it a bit and the tape snuggles nicely around the end of the 'bar padding. When done, I fully insert the plugs and the ends of the 'bars are fully finished in unwrinkled tape.

The package includes strips to go 'round the brake lever clamps and some chrome-plastic end plugs as well as some really high-quality, non-stretchy finishing tapes. I hate the look of even nice finishing tapes, so I used some super glue to secure the end of the wrap to itself on the underside of the 'bars. Instead of the chrome end plugs, I used my favorite Velox rubber ones with a sectioned 1/2" hole plug in the center over the expansion screw for a finished look.

Because I'm me, I went out to the garage and tested the abrasion resistance of the little leftover scraps compared to some Deda Elementi foamy "cork" tape. The Deda wore through in a blink, while the Serfas held on through several thousand more abrasion cycles and barely looked scuffed. I'm hoping this will translate to long wear in use.

By the way, those are BikeBrakes below the brake levers. I use them instead of the Click-Stand mini-bungees when parking with my Click-Stand or leaning the bike against a wall, tree, or fence rail. See: http://www.bikebrake.com/ They snuggle close to the handlebars, yet are easy to pinch and deploy using the little "wings" on either side of the bands. They hold onto the 'bars securely and don't fall off, yet hold the brake lever shut with just the right tension.

Best,

Dan. (...who can now say, "Cut! That's a wrap!" without shooting a film)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 08:27:21 am by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #134 on: March 03, 2013, 11:48:04 pm »
very well done dan that was a long time coming but worth the wait. ;)
the guy never got back to me on the brooks tape, >:( so i might just get some of that tape you have .
anyway Dan well done another fine job so that has to be the final touch. ;D