Author Topic: Danneaux's Nomad  (Read 231244 times)

Andybg

Re: Danneaux's Nomad
« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2012, 07:17:20 am »
Glad all is coming together with the Nomad. I know how important it is to get the right feel on the bike and it sounds like you are pretty much there.

Will keep abrest of the reports on the Duremes and pressures you find work best. I have been happy with my 1.75 Marathons but now I have moved the mudguards up and out the world is my oyster so may try some different tyres next year.

Andy

triaesthete

« Reply #106 on: December 06, 2012, 02:08:44 pm »
Hi Dan
those bars and levers look spot on for touring. I hope Thorn will make their "mark2" Berthoud shifter compatible 25.4mm bars exactly like this. (Pretty please Andy B/Robin! If you do make them like this I'll buy some more at once.)

Here's hoping!
Ian

jags

« Reply #107 on: December 07, 2012, 06:49:17 pm »
Dan that lock you have on the rear how do you rate it,
have you a link to where i might buy it on this side of the pond.

cheers
jags.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #108 on: December 07, 2012, 07:32:46 pm »
Dan that lock you have on the rear how do you rate it...
11 on a 10-point scale, jags. I am delighted with it, and wonder how I ever got along without. It is worth it for my peace of mind in the now highly-criminalized area where I live because it prevents a snatch-and-grab theft whenever I am of the bike, even if standing just next to it, when most such thefts occur. These thefts are most commonly perpetuated by meth addicts looking for immediate transport and something they can sell for as little as USD$5 for their next fix. Being desperate means they aren't shy about boosting a bike in daylight with the owner standing by, as I have seen a number of times myself.

The ring-lock is wonderfully convenient and immobilizes the rear wheel by putting a ring of steel right through it between the spokes. Mine allows me to capture a cable on the lock tang or to plug-in any of several cables or chains offered as accessories. I also use it to capture the security tethers on my rear Ortlieb panniers when parked, preventing a quick snatch-and-grab there as well. The model I chose also keeps the key captive while riding, so I can never forget it at home, and I fit a coiled wrist strap so I won't drop the key when I'm away if my riding clothes have no pockets (most of the time I use cycling shorts).

A ring-lock is *NOT* a complete security solution in itself, and should not be used alone when leaving the bike unattended in high-crime areas. For those occasions, I also lock the bike with a stout U-lock and a variety of other means  and try to never leave it alone long enough (or at all) for a thief to get to it (yes, I take the bike into the restroom with me, and into the stall itself if that is feasible -- you would too, if you lived where I do; we now have a local policy of releasing jailed inmates within 24 hours of initial incarceration...for crimes including accused/unconvicted capital murder).

A ring-lock *is* a great convenience and means for securing the bike "for just a sec'" while your back is turned or you are away from it, preventing the kind of throw-a-leg-over-and-ride-like-stink thefts that so often result when a bike is not left overnight. it is always "there" and is something one actually uses because it *is* available and requires minimal fuss. Yes, a bike can still be carried away on a shoulder or with the rear wheel elevated (unless you include a snap-in cable or such as well...very lightweight and compact 'cos the locking mechanism remains on the bike), but it helps and is unexpected -- especially here, where a casual meth-head might be too stoned to notice it. The lock mechanisms on modern/current ring-locks is remarkably secure, though this was a problem on older models with flawed designs that have since been corrected.

Oddly enough, a ring-lock actually works better on a loaded touring bike, 'cos those are usually too heave to pick up and carry very far, and the bags and accessories often cover the lock or make it hard for a thief to see. A ring-lock and plug-in cable make a lot of sense for a loaded touring bike. They make as much sense for an unloaded bike, but don't trust them alone for long-term security when leaving the bike alone in a theft-prone area (i.e. in the City). For their intended purpose and within their limitations, ring-locks are cost-effective security. One just has to respect their limitations and use them appropriately. For what they are and offer, I think they're a fantastic value and wouldn't be without.

Mine is an AXA Defender and I chose the plug-in cable as well.  A number of links to UK vendors can be found in this custom Google search: http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&tbo=d&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=axa+defender&oq=axa+defender&gs_l=hp.3..0l4.981.2421.0.2496.12.11.0.0.0.0.360.2316.2-7j2.9.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.u5sw_F-Kfb4&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=75e263ab38675344&bpcl=39650382&biw=1280&bih=715

Abus' Amparo makes an excellent competitor to the AXA Defender. For more on this topic, see the following threads:
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4148.msg18856#msg18856
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=1944.0
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4987.0

All the best,

Dan.

Andybg

« Reply #109 on: December 07, 2012, 07:39:17 pm »
My opinion is if a theif is big enough to pick up a loaded touring bike and run off with it then it is probably not a good idea to give chase

Andy

martinf

« Reply #110 on: December 07, 2012, 07:45:41 pm »
Abus' Amparo makes an excellent competitor to the AXA Defender.

I put Abus Amparo locks on both the visitor bikes we keep at a flat we own on an island off the South Brittany coast.

They are 3-speed bikes with drum brakes, so not perceived as valuable. Theft is rare on the island so a frame lock alone is adequate to stop someone "borrowing" the bike to ride home after a night drinking in the local café.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #111 on: December 07, 2012, 07:58:11 pm »
My opinion is if a theif is big enough to pick up a loaded touring bike and run off with it then it is probably not a good idea to give chase
Excellent advice, Andy, *especially* when fueled by sufficient amounts of adrenaline and murderous rage, as I would (foolishly) be on such an occasion.

All the best,

Dan. (...who tends to run short of rationality and good sense when his bikes are threatened)

jags

« Reply #112 on: December 07, 2012, 08:04:50 pm »
thanks dan just put it on the wish list.
its unbelievable the amount of gear you can buy for a bike
the best lights extra,just in case you need to go to the shop at night .
the best tires,  for that bit extra speed.
the Brooks saddle must have .
the sat nav well you could get lost.
the computer ,do i really need to know how far and how far i have gone.
and now here comes the ultimate ,the dynamo wheel and lights absolute must have .
where will it all end how the the tourers of yester year do it when all they had was just the bare essentials your basic steel bike  oil skins for wet gear .
ah men of steel we have become trapped in all the latest tech gear and all i can is fantastic i love it all what will the next 20 years bring should be good hope i'm around to see it. ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #113 on: December 20, 2012, 01:26:07 am »
Hi All!

Man, I've been busy with projects the last few weeks, so the poor Nomad had to have some of his own projects deferred, among them installing the interrupter levers. I am just getting to the task but have decided I should take a bit more time with the details; little things count for a lot in the Big Picture.

Accordingly, while the v-brakes are apart seemed a good time to give the stealth treatment to the lead-in pipes. A quick disassembly, the application of two sizes of heat-shrink tubing, a fast reassembly -- et voila! The Batman Bike is that a little bit more stealthy (see attached pic).

Best,

Dan. (...first AC/DC does "Back in Black", then Amy Winehouse does "Back to Black"; Dan's gotta follow with a v-brake tribute)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 06:38:48 pm by Danneaux »

il padrone

« Reply #114 on: December 20, 2012, 04:41:56 am »
Oooh Danneaux! The definitive anal  :D

Now where's that heat-shrink??

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #115 on: December 20, 2012, 04:48:06 am »
Gotcha, Pete! We're peas in a pod, we are...

All the best,

Dan. (...who is looking forward to seeing your efforts in black or...d'ya know heat-shrink tubing is available in um, yellow?)

Andre Jute

« Reply #116 on: December 20, 2012, 04:40:31 pm »
Oooh Danneaux! The definitive anal  :D

Definitely a case for Dr Jute's headshrinker's — er, sorry, I mean heatshrinker's — couch!

Andre Jute
(reaching for the heatshrink selection always lying on the side table)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #117 on: January 20, 2013, 02:01:30 am »
Hi All!

I realize it has been awhile since I updated the Danneaux's Nomad gallery, so I took my camera with my on today's foggy-cold ride.

Here in Oregon's Willamette (pronounced Will-AM-ett) Valley, we're in the midst of a temperature inversion. While the Coast and Eastern parts of the state are basking in sunshine and temperatures 15°F-20°F warmer, freezing fog has trapped lots of wood-stove smoke near the ground here, making me wheeze and squeak when outdoors. Packing my inhaler, I set out across the nearby Owosso Bicycle Bridge, one of three across the Willamette River.

Turning to my left, I caught a movement downstream of something white at the end of a nearby river island. Looking closely, I saw it was a bald eagle devouring a fish it had just caught. Several osprey pairs live here, just upstream from a heron rookery. Bald eagles are a little more rare in this stretch of the river, so a real treat when seen. Well worth the ride!

For the closeup in failing light, I used a haze filter in processing to cut out some of the fog and caught it in a 1,000mm (35mm-format equivalent focal length)/2x digital zoom over a 500mm equivalent optical focal length. The wide-angle shot was taken at 25mm (optical) equivalent focal length.

Looking forward to clear skies, forecast for the end of next week.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 02:24:24 am by Danneaux »

ianshearin

« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2013, 02:53:59 am »
Geez Dan, you get some odd weather there, Ive seen fog here like that but those red lightning bolts must be unique to the USA.....
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #119 on: January 20, 2013, 02:55:20 am »
those red lightning bolts must be unique to the USA...
That's how we find the eagles, Ian.

;)

All the best,

Dan.