Author Topic: Danneaux's Nomad  (Read 229661 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Danneaux's Nomad
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2012, 08:10:41 pm »
Ian, jags,

Jack was tickled by your comments; really pleased. Ian, you wrote...
...there was something quite unique going on in the USA between the wars...

<nods> Yes, and it was reflected in an industrial style I find very cool and chic, looking back from the present day. Jack had a number of motorcycles (or "moto-cycles" as Indian preferred to call them); this was Jack's "little" Indian; he had a larger one and a very nice 1927 2-cycle Cleveland bike before the Junior Scout. I have photos of those kicking around my computer from when I scanned and digitally restored them for Jack. He also had a very cool car...a 1938 Ford Phaeton with many custom touches and a chopped Carson top -- even the side windows were cut-down, rather than only rolling-up so far (pic below). I think this custom version reflects the style of the era you're referring to as well...and I was pleased the Nomad's new longboard front mudguard harkened back to Jack's Indian Junior Scout.

...has he still got that bike...

<shakes head sadly> No, jags, he sold it to get the "Big" Indian (1941 Indian Sport Scout with mudguard/fender skirts). That in turn was sold to pay expenses while Jack attended uni on the "GI Bill" after the War. As he used to tell me, "Your mother and I ate that bike -- its sale bought the groceries". It was his last motorcycle, and he has regretted it since, but Life (a couple kids including Yours Truly, buying a home, etc) intervened. His brother -- my Uncle Keith -- stayed with bikes for a long while till he got good and scared in his early 80s. He put ArmorAll on the saddle of his Honda Sabre and the thing ran out from under him when he cracked the throttle wide. Jack went into bicycles after his retirement, and we had many happy times touring together in Oregon's wilderness network of logging roads and fire trails. He would often turn to me (usually when climbing a 20% grade) and declare, "Y'know, motorcycles have all the fun of bicycling, but you don't have to pedal!".

He...has a point!

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2012, 08:46:04 pm »
 :: 8) class looking car Dan but i would hate to have to buy the fuel for it @ 1.68 litre petrol you would want a small fortune to run it .
but love his bike .

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2012, 09:00:43 pm »
...you would want a small fortune to run it

Ah, but jags...back then, gas (petrol) was only 16-17 cents per gallon. Of course, wages were lower as well. Just before the War, Jack was office manager of a Cadillac/Olds car dealership and felt like a king earning USD$50/month. Wages were a lot less here on the West Coast than on the East Coast, and the effects of the Great Depression hit here later and were felt much longer.

Jack's Junior Scout got 73 miles per gallon solo, and his Sport Scout managed 56 mpg with some luggage. My Nomad does about 120mi/190km on 3 liters of water and some energy bars climbing in the mountains on a hot day.  :D

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2012, 10:21:36 pm »
love it long live the nomad ;D ;D

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2012, 12:17:53 am »
Hi All!

I took the Nomad out for a spin today, and stopped at the neighborhood located on Goodpasture Island, just across the Owosso Bicycle Bridge from where I live. This used to be flood drainage and a sheep farm till developers bought it in the 1980s and turned it into "exclusive" upmarket housing (they still don't qualify for federal flood insurance, but most don't realize it). The homes are indeed beautiful, and there is even a series of decorative fountains, reflecting ponds, and their own neighborhood off-street bike paths.

It is also known to me as Mouse Haven.

Come again?

Well, on *my* side of the Willamette River, I am often visited by wildlife. I put out food for the birds and squirrels and water dishes for whoever/whatever makes it through the fence or my backyard version of a Nature Trail. This includes opossums, small families of skunks with their kits, raccoons, and the occasional nutria (really *big* rodent). In the Fall, it also means field mice. I've always been a soft-touch for animals, so when the little mice manage to sneak past the rubber door seal into the garage, I can't be too mad at them. They found the bike touring food lockers the other day and got positively drunk on Fruit Smoothie mix and they seemed to especially like the peanut-raisin-pineapple trail food. When I used the combo sander to mill down the end of the Nomad mudguard, I felt a Presence, as if something was watching me. It was a little field mouse, perched atop the adjascent tool chest, bright-eyed and alert as can be. That's what started the search and found the evidence of their housekeeping.

Being (too) soft-hearted, I can't bear traps or poison, so I have a small collection of live-traps and check them regularly so the little fellows don't expire while confined. Once caught, I really can't release them here (closed loop), so they get to go on "field trips" or mini-vacations to...you already guessed it, didn't you? -- Goodpasture Island. I usually release them about where the Nomad is sitting in the photos below. There aren't many cats, water and nesting materials are nearby, and bowls of doggie kibble on people's back porches. See why I call it Mouse Haven?

Coupla photos below, 'cos I couldn't decide between them.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 02:56:54 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2012, 10:21:03 am »
your a big softi dan  ;D ;D

that gap on your from mudguard is spot on did you use a lazer beam to get the gap that good.
great pic's.

jags.

Andre Jute

« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2012, 03:29:00 pm »
Nice gaps on those guards. I adjusted mine the other day after fitting the Big Apple back on, having given the Kenda 47mm that came with the electtric wheel a fair 1600km/1000m trial.

Let's have a piccie of the mudflap please the next time you have your camera out, Dan. On the two pics above it shows only as a thin line, side-on. I have P65 mudguards, supposedly the long ones rather than the short "sports" version, but they still aren't long enough, and the SKS mudflap (older model of this http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sks-long-mudflap-prod25599/ ), while it works, is also more stylish than fully effective when its really wet.

I've wondered about making mudflaps of leather, of which I have plenty after breaking up Swedish leather settees to get the curved, cured, laminated wood for my crank-forward geribike experiments a few years ago. I've seen the Brooks leather mudflaps http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brooks-mud-flap-prod28310/ but making them fit is another matter as they are cut for narrower mudguards than mine.

The actual solution is of course to fit a complete rear mudguard to cover two thirds of the front wheel, and then to add a long mudflap to catch the residual spray, but the problem even then is that with really fat balloons the biggest mudguards (P65) that will fit inside even generously dimensioned forks barely cover the tyres.

Where I live you inevitably ride in the wet every now and again, even if you normally don't deliberately go out into the rain, so mudguards and mudflaps is a subject in which I take a keen interest!

Andre Jute

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2012, 04:00:12 pm »
Hi Andre,

It's foggy-dim at 7:30AM here, but as soon as the sun emerges a bit more so you can see some detail in the black flaps, I'll take and post some piccies here later.

The front flaps I use are Buddy Flaps, cut from 3mm thick premium-grade vinyl. They are thin, they hang very nicely even at speed, and have an exceptionally glossy surface that is easily wiped (yes, I "wipe" them as part of my cleaning routine). I mount mine backwards, with the small impressed logo toward the tire. Buddy Flaps are available here: http://www.buddyflaps.com/  The package consists of a long flap intended for the rear (randonneur use, so you won't spray your following companions) and a shorter front flap, with mounting hardware. I mount mine by replacing the lower rivet in my SKS P55 mudguards with an alu pop-rivet and alu backing plate (washer). Works a treat, and a second rivet is not necessary. Unlike many plastic mudflaps, Buddy Flaps staighten themselves with room warmth if they have somehow become bent/skewed under pressure (i.e. the wheel turns and they get crabbed against a wall). Nice.

They do a very good job, being long enough while not catching unduly on obstacles. My standard is to make sure they clear a 6.5in US streetside curbing and also an 8" step-riser so I can wheel the bike up and down such obstacles without worry I'll catch the flap against the tire or endanger the mudguard. I had used (still do) PlanetBike Cascadia cupped mud flap extensions on my rando bike, but these are really too rigid if I hit an obstacle off-road (the cup shape transfers the force directly to the mudguard, endangering it). The PB versions are available about 1/3 of the way down this page: http://ecom1.planetbike.com/smallparts.html You would want to go back and check the width of the mudguards (fenders) they're intended for, but I believe at least one of them (perhaps the "29-er" Cascadia) might work. The flaps are extremely high-quality and include plastic rivets that hold very securely (invisible on a black mudguard).

Andre, I love the appearance of leather mudguards, but long ago decided to bypass them without trying one (there's a disclaimer!) becuase in my part of the world (wet-winter Willamette Valley), such things don't hold up very well. They get glopped up with dead angle-worms, various excretia, road oils and dirt...you name it. As a result, those I've seen (even nice Brooksian ones) soon look like one would expect...dead, wet leather with all this stuff clinging to them. Yuck. My Buddy Flaps come clean with a simple hosing or a quick wipe with a damp cloth.

Andre, it is so incredibly easy to reshape ESGE/Bluemels/SKS alu-plastic laminate mudguards. All one needs is a heatgun and only a little patience. I've recurved 700C mudguards to perfectly follow the 20"/406mm tires on my recumbent project and it is also easy to widen the mudguards so evenly as to look "factory". I thought about this when you mentioned yours are barely wide enough to cover your Big Apples.  When the mudguards on my Sherpa and Nomad arrived, the edges weren't too regular, so I simply heated them carefully and evenly (and not too hot) and they're true as a die now. I always do this before cutting and setting my stay length. That's how I get my fender-lines so even.

Or, you could do what you're thinking...

The actual solution is of course to fit a complete rear mudguard to cover two thirds of the front wheel, and then to add a long mudflap to catch the residual spray

...which is exactly what I did on the Nomad! It works a treat, and if your present mudguards work...so will these, since the clearances remain the same at the crown and rear, and the front can be curved similarly or with a bit more clearance. As you can see, my "long-board" (surfing/skateboard parlance) front mudguard has a just a bit more clearance than the Thorn-installed rear. The reason? I want a bit more on the front to prevent fouling with autumn leaves and such, and to clear damp playa if I leave these in place for my shoulder-season tours to the desert (I'm also running 5psi less air up front and it shows).  You don't need to attach the front stays to lowrider racks, either; simply go with longer stays and attach them to your lowrider bosses as Utopia Velo do on some of their models. By the way I got all my stays from PlanetBike direct; they're really good about picking up the (domestic) postage and the prices are very reasonable.The stays and products are of superb quality and mirror-polished in stainless.

Best,

Dan. (mudflap pics to follow very soon)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 08:14:48 pm by Danneaux »

Andre Jute

« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2012, 04:12:20 pm »
Hope I didn't wake you, Dan. I rose at 1.17pm... Thanks for all that information, and so quick too! I look forward to the photograph.

Those Planetbike 29er flaps http://ecom1.planetbike.com/7029_1.html look just like a wider version of the SKS ones. I wonder if they're rebranded. If they are, I could just upgrade my SKS flaps, which are pretty short, to the 130mm model.

Andre Jute

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2012, 04:54:47 pm »
Here you go, Andre...with the rear flap pictured as well. It is very long, and could be cut-down nicely to make a custom front flap. These photos show the extreme high gloss of the "skinned" high-quality vinyl Buddy Flaps use. Makes cleanup very quick and easy. You can also see the comparison between the original "shorty" front mudguard and the much more comprehensive coverage provided by my longboard version.

You will note the wedge shape of the 'flap does not cover the full width of the tire where it attaches to the mudguard. This is by design; if it did go full-width, the flap would then be rigid and could endanger the mudguard if it snagged off-road. In practice, there is essentially no spash-over in this small window at the tail-end of the 'guard.

Hope I didn't wake you, Dan...

No, unfortunately, I don't sleep much. A "long" night at home is about 6 hours. Most are about 4.5hrs. I got through my doctoral program averaging 2.5hrs/night and pulled a lot of long sessions at 40-hours straight and a few at 56-63hrs. I think it screwed-up my sleep schedule for good. If my mind is working on a project anyway, it is sometimes easier to just see it through and then go to sleep in peace rather than having my mind grind away. On-tour, I almost always sleep 8 hours a night, so I come home more rested than usual!

If you need any more photos of anything, let me know.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 06:35:49 pm by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2012, 06:17:51 pm »
HI All!

Duhwanna dilute the Thorn content of this thread too much, but since we're on the subject of mudguards and uh, Thorns and such...

Attached is a composite photo showing one of my many bicycle-related projects, this one the base for my upcoming compound-drive, full-sus recumbent. This is based on a kids'-size MTB and the hardpoints on the frame are where mine will be. It will have an extension boom for the front crossover drive, a folding tiller for the 'bars and a seat where the present seat tube resides. Most of these are already jigged and tack-brazed. Once it proves out, I'll fillet-braze a replacement mainframe and swingarm using ovalized tandem keel tubes (I have some old Phil Wood stock on hand, same as used on my full-sus Folder project) and light cr-mo stays. 20" wheels let me sit flat-footed at traffic lights, and the suspension is welcome in a small-wheeled recumbent.

The reason the project appears here is the mudguards...the bike has 406mm/20in wheels and tires, and I had a tough time finding full-coverage mudguards for it, so I simply used my heat-gun to recurve a pair of ESGE/SKS 700C versions to fit. You'll note these curve forward generously as well. The stays are held to the sus stanchions using glass-filled nylon reflector clips. The handlebars (recent topic elsewhere) are Nitto Arc 'bars, which have a curve very like PeterG's Jones 'bars, but without the transverse clamp-brace. For this application, these will eventually be oriented vertically, the arc intended to clear my knees on the upstroke. Those are 7-sp Grip-Shifters. If I ever consider non-drops for the Nomad these will be likely candidates. Either these or a similar arc-like 'bar, as my wrists just won't "do" straight 'bars.

This is intended to show how easy it is to modify mudguards to specific needs. Plastic or plastic-alu laminate 'guards can be re-arced, widened, narrowed, or all three if sufficient care is used. The main thing is to watch the heat and apply it evenly -- my heat gun has settings for 600°F and 1000°F, and I use either as needed. It is also possible to hand-lay ABS 'guards over a buck (wooden jig or fixture) using liquid ABS "Syrup" that air-cures. I've done so for my Folder project, and they came out very nicely, but are a lot more work than re-arcing existing 'guards.

Mudguards for Thorns are easy!

Best,

Dan. (Danneaux Labs..."Where innovation never sleeps")
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 06:36:21 pm by Danneaux »

Andre Jute

« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2012, 08:03:13 pm »
Here you go, Andre...with the rear flap pictured as well.

Dan, thanks so much. You're a sterling fellow, and I shall doubtless abuse your goodwill by asking for more photographs in due time.

Interesting that the single fixing suffices you, and how long and narrow the Buddy is, and the "window" at the junction with the mudguard where it doesn't quite cover the tyre — which is what bothers me about the Brooks mudflap, that I suspect it won't cover the width of the mudguard.

I have enough glossy, flexible, tough black lino, which I bought on Saturday with the idea of making a linocut for the cover graphic of one of my forthcoming books, to make a pair of mud flaps. I could cut my own symbol into them, sign my bike so to speak...I bought a linocut kit at the same time, as I have no idea in which of the many steamer trunks in the loft my own kit, last used 30 years ago, resides.

Andre Jute

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2012, 09:05:57 pm »
Hi guys
Very impressed with the flaps.
Just run by me again how you fix the flaps to the guards. Some kinda rivet?
Bare in mind I am UK based when you talk tech. ;)
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2012, 09:12:48 pm »
Hi Matt!

Yes, to secure my mudflaps, I use a "pop-rivet" or "blind-rivet" as they're called here in 'Merka. Installed properly, it will hold securely and not rattle loose. I use a backing place (an aluminum washer) to ensure a better, more secure fastening with the rivet.

Wikipedia has a nifty article with photos: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivet#Blind_rivets

All the best,

Dan. (<<POP!>> goes the...rivet)

jags

« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2012, 10:41:58 pm »
thats something i must buy a pop rivet gun  great piece of kit.
i got a 30 mile spin in today and the last 6 miles  i got soaked to the skin .
my waterproof  jacket is no longer waterproof, ah well it served me well over the years just not today  ::)
 but yeah it was a day for the sherpa with it's mudguards and a new viser over the front mudguard  ,hope it works because i glued it on with 2 pack epoxy glue strong tact, ;D ;D.
Dan are those flaps worth the efford ,they look like they will add ever more wind resistance to a slow rider  ;)