Author Topic: Danneaux's Nomad  (Read 231035 times)

jags

Re: Danneaux's Nomad
« Reply #405 on: October 31, 2013, 07:30:45 pm »
Just winding you up Buddy. ;D ;D
your bike just cannot be faulted in any way,  ride it anywhere in any terrain.you should post a serious of photos showing the bike at every angle for us to drool over....

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #406 on: November 03, 2013, 11:15:45 am »
Is see that they make a boot cover. Will you be adding one of those?
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #407 on: November 03, 2013, 02:51:31 pm »
Is see that they make a boot cover. Will you be adding one of those?
<nods> Yep, sure will, Matt. It seems a really good idea to keep the pivots dry and clean to prevent long-term wear and to keep lubrication on the pivots. I just have to decide which 'post to keep, as the elastic neoprene covers are sized and shaped to the model; one won't fit the other. Aesthetically, I wish the covers were all-black, not splashed with white Cane Creek logos.

Business of Life™ stuff intervened and I haven't had a chance to try the LT or ST since my last post, but a ride on my unsprung blue rando bike was a...shock (sorry!) in comparison. I considered it one of the most comfortable in my stable until now and hadn't realized how often I post on that bike, with 85psi/5.9bar in 700x32C road slicks. The unladen Nomad with 26x2.0 Duremes run at F/R pressures of 29/34psi (2.0/2.3bar) *and* the Thudbuster LT is a revelation. It is like someone rolls out a carpet of fresh, smooth road just ahead of my wheels, yet the bike itself handles as precisely as always. There's the oddest sort of disconnect between what I see and expect to feel and what I am actually feeling. I feel positively spoiled in comparison! It surely is a novelty at this point.

All this has me looking at the ST as a possible solution for a rough-riding road bike in my stable. I've owned that bike since 1980 and love it dearly, but the vibration through the very short chainstays is so harsh I find myself not using it as much as I'd like. An ST might change that.

I'll know better when I get some real mileage in on both 'posts and can see how they differ in practice.

Best,

Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #408 on: November 03, 2013, 07:24:57 pm »
It is my understanding that the Thudbuster is popular with folding bike owners, the smaller diameter wheels make the bumps feel bigger.

Spoke storage - I have heard that some use a chunk of styrofoam that is cut to slightly larger diameter than the ID of the post, then they run the spokes completely thru the foam allowing part of the spoke to protrude out of the bottom of the foam and seatpost.

I use a wine bottle cork with some electric tape wrapped around it to plug my seatpost where the spokes are.  The cork worked, but dried out so I added the electric tape to make it fit tighter.  Thus, I have not had a reason to try the foam option.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #409 on: November 03, 2013, 08:09:28 pm »
It is my understanding that the Thudbuster is popular with folding bike owners...
Hi mickeg!

<nods> I can see where it would be helpful; the smaller-diameter wheels might have the same tire profile, but would be more likely to "fall" into potholes and such, making the impact more noticeable to the rider. When I designed my small-wheeled Folder, I made sure to include front and rear suspension for this very reason. I'd considered a sus-post, but even the telescopic ones would have added height to the folded bicycle, so wasn't possible in my case.

As for spoke storage, your suggestions are all good. A quick glance at the ST post looks like there's not enough length available for the spokes, but the LT showed promise before I installed it. Now, I need to remove it long enough to measure...a hard task when i'm having fun using it! I *think* it will work, but won't know for sure till I try actually measure the length of the inside cavity available for storage. The fore-and-aft flat spots caused by butting won't be a problem; I can always shave/sand the rubber in the little expanding plug I made for the Sherpa and Nomad's rigid Thorn/Zoom seatposts and can fit a slightly smaller compression washer up-top for clearance. If the lot won't fit inside, then I'll need to adopt something very much like you propose.

I'm so looking forward to fully testing both seatposts. At this point, I can't imagine using all 3inches/76mm or available travel on the LT 'post. I seem to be actively using about half that and find it plenty. Its actual shock absorption seems to be just fine for handling the usual obstacles that had caused me problems. For example, a maintenance-needy section of asphalt bike path nearby is crisscrossed by root heaves the size of my forearm. A couple weeks ago, I hit it at dusk going about 9mph/15kph and was really jolted. Now, I feel it through my bent forearms but sort of float over it at the rear. How to describe the LT's effect? Well, it is like the difference in a small boat between sharp wind-driven, choppy waters versus ocean swells. Both move the boat an equal amount, but the latter is far less abrupt.

Itching to get back to seatpost testing, but it'll have to wait till midweek....

Best,

Dan.

George Hetrick

• retired software engineer in Austin, TX, USA
« Reply #410 on: November 03, 2013, 08:14:02 pm »
Dan, there appear to be several lengths of Thudbuster -- what exactly did you get (since I also have a Nomad MkII)?

Thanks.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #411 on: November 03, 2013, 09:09:15 pm »
what exactly did you get...?
Hi George!

The ST is 351mm (as listed by REI and as measured by myself, from base to clamp-center along the centerline of the shaft at the side).

The LT is listed by REI as 400mm. It is in the bike at the moment, but that looks about right when comparing the side-by-side photo I attached a few posts back, where there appears to be about 2in/50mm difference between the ST and LT. I will be sure to measure, check, and report as my trials progress.

While my first impressions are stellar and far exceed expectations, I have not done thorough trials yet nor have I tried the ST for comparison. At the moment the LT seems unimprovable for my purposes, but I really have nothing to compare it to except my rigid seatpost(s) and the telescopic- and hinged-elastomer 'posts on the tandem, which don't work nearly as well. The tandem stoker's telescopic 'post has a lot of stiction, changes the effective saddle height, and wobbles disconcertingly side-to-side. The hinged one for the tandem captain soaks up very little road shock and rotates the saddle backward, so the saddle nose has to be angled down slightly or Terrible things happen. In contrast, the Thudbuster keeps the saddle level, has no discernible stiction, there is no wobble or noise, and effective saddle height remains constant, though one's position behind the BB varies (which is why I am fine-tuning my fore-aft placement a little bit to allow for this).

I had thought I might bob up and down a lot when pedaling on the LT, but it hasn't happened. For my fast-light cadence, the LT remains largely unaffected by pedaling though it is constantly working to some degree in response to road surface irregularities. The bike itself feels the same, but the ride sure is different. When I was a kid, I loved riding one of those plastic-pony hobby horses mounted on springs in a steel frame (see pic attached below). When Ol' Paint and I got really going, we'd skitter across the floor and I would sort of lean backwards against the spring tension and pretend we were competing in a rodeo. The Nomad with LT seatpost feels the closest to that I can recall in my 53 years -- but without the uncontrolled bounce. Yee-haw! Apparently one can go home again....  :D

My sister saw me ride the bike through my backyard ( :o ) and said it reminded her of the jockeys in horse races -- the jockey floating serenely above a frantically working horse. I don't think the LT is a substitute for a long-travel full-sus MTB for those taking big drops, but it surely helps in soaking up the sharper, smaller 1-2in/25-50mm lower-speed bumps that were really bothering me and I have ended each rough-surface test ride feeling much fresher thanks to the LT sus-post.

I'll try to get some video of all this before I'm done. I'm certainly having a lot of fun.

If you're considering one of these two seatposts, I'd hold off buying for a couple weeks till I get a chance to wring them out a bit. Because of limited clearances for the LT, I'm receiving more inquiries about how the ST works, and I want to try it myself. I should know more after some back-to-back comparisons and perhaps some elastomer swaps and preload adjustment (the last a feature on the LT only). I'm happy to take measurements for whoever needs them.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 09:22:15 pm by Danneaux »

George Hetrick

• retired software engineer in Austin, TX, USA
« Reply #412 on: November 03, 2013, 09:39:53 pm »
Awesome response, as always, Dan.

I'll wait for your results.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #413 on: November 09, 2013, 12:42:59 am »
Hi All!

Next installment in Danneaux's Sus-Seatpost Saga...

Here's the Executive Summary following extensive empirical comparative testing in a variety of terrain and conditions:

For me in my intended use, the Thudbuster LT has it all over the ST. For little additional weight it is far more tunable, quieter, and has much greater travel than the ST; taken together, this makes it a more versatile suspension seatpost for the money provided one has the clearance to accommodate the greater stack height. It really works well at reasonable speeds over bumps 1-2in/25-50mm in height and doesn't bob if ridden by a cyclist spinning with a smooth, fast, "round" cadence and can be effectively locked-out on smooth roads using an even pedaling technique. It will bob/bounce to a greater or lesser degree if one is a "masher" riding with pistonlike vertical stokes at a slow cadence.

In contrast, in my trials I found the Thudbuster ST to be much more comfortable than my Thorn/Zoom rigid large layback seatpost in all circumstances -- but not as much as the LT and not enough for me. It did not meet my goal of sufficiently attenuating bumps off-road or on very rough surfaces, but was very nice on rough-surfaced pavement including that bane of American road cyclists, chip-seal. It nicely softens bumps and irregularities .5 - .75in/12.5-25mm in height. The ST is largely immune to pedaling style and I think would be much better suited to a "masher".

I would say if one has the room to accommodate it, the LT is the preferred choice and will accommodate the greatest range of road surfaces, including off-road at reasonable (i.e. slow and touring) speeds. If space is limited and you only wish to "take the edge off" rough pavement as Thudbuster claim, then the ST would likely be a worthwhile substitute to a rigid post. Mine was noisy, however, and I put this down to the elastomers being made of rubber and formed so they are self captive within the parallelogram linkage and edge-actuated. Where the urethane-damped LT was bolt-captive, end-loaded and silent, larger bumps made the ST say "Squodge-squodge-squodge" a bit like a rubber squeegee drying a window. I didn't add (silicone or other) lubricant to the elastomers of either 'post, choosing instead to test them as-delivered, though I realize lubrication of pivots and elastomers is a required part of regular long-term maintenance.

Why the difference?

Again, in my own experience and testing with my two samples, I found I am getting nowhere near the published amount of travel -- and it is still alright. I weigh 172lb/78kg, appropriate for the "Medium" elastomers supplied with each 'post. Having tried combinations of the next softer and firmer samples included with each 'post, I feel the Medium is the best combo for me -- well-damped to prevent bouncing while remaining comfortable. Both 'posts reacted similarly within their respective available travel.

The difference between them is down to the available travel (and to a lesser extent, the medium used to make the elastomers). No suspension can really eliminate bumps, they're still there, of course. Holding constant for speed and weight, what suspension does is attenuate the bumps, spreading out the force over time so they don't feel as abrupt. Given the bumps remain the same, the ST has less distance and damping material to absorb and slow them, so the bumps feel less well-damped to the rider.

I never came close to bottoming-out either 'post and I never had a conflict between the linkage and the rails of my Brooks B.17 saddle.

I found I never approached the published amount of travel for either seatpost. It is extremely difficult to measure actual travel while riding, so I made a little test rig with a hard rubber bead on a shaft to serve as a stop-marker when each 'post was at full compression; the actual measurement is in a diagonal from the steerer, so is a combined measurement of downward and rearward travel consistent with how the 'post's linkage works to absorb shock transmitted from the rear wheel when it hits a bump. My measurements show I am consistently compressing the ST about .5-.65in/12-16.5mm and the LT about 1.0-1.25in/25-32mm in heavy use. Curious to learn how CaneCreek got their published travel measurements, I emailed them and received the following reply...
There is really no full travel on the Thudbuster- it just varies based on how soft or firm you want the ride to be.  If you want to experiment [for my given weight], trade one of the blue elastomers out for a gray elastomer and see how that works.
I suspect the published travel is the total amount available without elastomers; in other words, the total "potential" travel. With elastomers installed, the potential is still there but isn't fully realizable 'cos the elastomers damp and prevent full compression thanks to their rising rate (they show every indication of becoming stiffer as they compress).

In any event, in my use each post fully accomplished its stated "mission" and made riding noticeably more comfortable by absorbing and distributing the effect of bumps through a combination of geometry, link length, and elastomer compression. I don't think more travel would have given a better result. CaneCreek/Thudbuster suggest a rider can use harder elastomers but should not use those for less than their weight. Given my weight and 45° back angle (which affects weight on the saddle), I have leeway to use a half-softer grey/blue combo on the LT and can adjust the preload bolt, but would be limited to only the Middle elastomer on the ST with no further adjustment possible. Heavier riders please note: The ST is limited to 250lb/113kg. I don't see a similar note on the LT.

The difference in travel also affects saddle placement to a degree. I found the equal-length parallelogram linkage meant the distance between saddle and BB really varied little if at all throughout the available range of travel. However, as noted in a previous post, the rider's position behind the bottom bracket can still vary as a function of the linkage's downward-and-rearward travel. This is important because it is generally a bit easier to spin at a high cadence if one is closer to the BB and it is possible to generate a bit more torque if you're behind the BB a bit. I found the LT's longer links and greater sag under my weight meant I needed to move the saddle forward about 5-7.5mm to compensate compared to my rigid post. The ST required no such adjustment.

So which is "better"?

Neither, either, and both. The "best" is the one most suited to conditions and user requirements and depends in part on the bicycle's frame size and design; the shorter ST can be used on far more bicycles 'cos the suspension mechanism requires less room than the LT.

In terms of preference, I like the compact appearance of the ST much better and I really like the silence, response, and greater travel of the LT. For those needing to fine-tune saddle position, the LT's greater link length and inclination allows one to get the saddle further rearward than the ST even though they use the same clamp.

I'm thinking of someday fitting an ST to one of my road bikes that has a really harsh ride. I think I'd ride the bike more with an ST than I do now, simply because it would be that much more comfortable.

Why'd I choose the LT for my needs?

The LT is the sus-post that will remain on my Nomad Mk2. It is a true expedition touring bike -- just what I needed -- and adding weight makes the ride smoother. It is simply such a nice bicycle I want to also ride it unladen on the rougher tracks it excels on, making it a sort of MTB for my purposes, the rough equivalent of a dual-sport motorcycle. The same stiff frame that carries weight so well often makes the ride uncomfortably harsh for me when hitting bumps unladen on really rough pavement, on poor gravel roads, and off-road. Adding the Thudbuster LT has nicely addressed all my concerns with no compromise while carrying a load or on smooth pavement. I can lock-out the post simply by standing when needed, and I always do on larger bumps to ease larger shocks to me and the bicycle. I take exceptional care of my equipment, appreciating fully the need for reliability and knowing what a breakdown would mean in the isolated areas I tour alone. The LT does not make the rigid Nomad the equivalent of a full-sus downhill or freeride rig, and I'm not going to "case" jumps in any event. Instead, it makes an already ideal expedition bike into a more ideal all-'rounder to use comfortably and enjoyably on my unladen day rides. I think it will also prove beneficial when touring fully-loaded, allowing me to remain seated on the smaller bumps I would otherwise have to stand for and I expect to end the day less fatigued as a result.

I really like how the bike itself remains unaltered; the only difference is a far more comfortable ride with no loss of handling precision or load capacity.

I am faster on the bike with either sus-post than I am with the rigid one, simply because I don't have to slow as much for bumps to remain comfortable and by remaining seated on rough, steep terrain, I achieve better traction at the rear tire. The LT has taken an already great bike and made it even better suited to my needs, more comfortable and more versatile, making it feel like the "next generation" in Nomads. I'm pleased with the result.

...Even though there's resolvable "challenges" in my application

The switch to a sus-post has required some adaptations in other areas. Until I can find time to mill a new rigid bag support from aluminum billet, my Ortlieb Medium underseat bag will ride supported by Ortlieb's quick-release webbing strap kit, intended for Brooks and spring saddles. It works alright but is not to my preference. Fitting spokes inside the ST is not possible and just today I came up with a way to make it possible on the LT (more in a later update). There is room on the LT's lower shaft for my alarm and pump peg, but I will need to find another place for my ring-lock's coiled cable mount. All in all, the LT will be well worth my troubles to adapt based on my thorough comparative testing to date. I'll be sending for the neoprene dust/rain cover for it soonest.

Best,

Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #414 on: November 09, 2013, 03:23:18 am »
Brilliant, Dan!  Thanks, eh.

Relayer

« Reply #415 on: November 09, 2013, 08:20:23 am »
Brilliant, Dan!  Thanks, eh.

+1

By the way, I love the term "Danneaux'mad"!   :D

Cheers,
Jim

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #416 on: November 09, 2013, 09:16:49 am »
Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Following my sus-seatpost entries, several of you have written to ask me...

• What a 45° back angle looks like.
• What I mean when I say I sit well within the wheelbase of the Nomad.
• How my weight is distributed on the bike.
• How the Nomad's sloping top tube compares to a traditional diamond road frame with horizontal top tube.

'Best way I know to answer is with illustrations, so I have attached two below.

The first photo shows where I sit in relation to lines extended vertically through the axle centerlines (showing I do indeed sit well within the wheelbase of the bike) as well as the center (midpoint) of the bike and the center of gravity with me and the bike outfitted exactly as shown. Adding three full 1.5l bottles in the frame cages or a touring load would change weight distribution and center of gravity accordingly.

Center of gravity was measured with two analog scales, one under each wheel directly beneath each axle while at rest on a level surface with my elbow propping me exactly vertically against a wall a measured with a second SkyMounti inclinometer mounted crosswise on the upper Thorn Accessory T-bar. Getting off the scales was...exciting. Center of gravity falls just rearward of the BB center extending vertically just rearward of my shoulder joint.

The second photo is the same except for showing a photo-scaled (same diameter tubing) overlay of a conventional diamond-frame with horizontal top tube superimposed over my size 590M Nomad Mk2. Given my frequent off-road and rough-road use of the bike, I've had many occasions to be grateful for the extra standover clearance allowed by the sloping top tube. The illustration clearly shows the difference at the top tube midpoint where one actually stands ahead of the saddle when not riding.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 05:51:12 pm by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #417 on: November 09, 2013, 09:35:20 am »
This photo shows my preferred position on all my touring bikes, past photo of Sherpa standing in for the Nomad this time. Handlebar-tops are level with (in the same plane as) the saddle-top and a 45° angle runs through my shoulder and hip joints and another 45° angle connects my shoulder joints and hands when my arms are slightly bent at the elbows to absorb road shock.

Not for everyone, but this makes for a position I find comfortable on 300-400km day rides and on tours, dropping to the lower section of the handlebars as needed for headwinds.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 03:51:22 pm by Danneaux »

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #418 on: November 09, 2013, 07:43:35 pm »

Great to hear about the new seat post and see the pictures of the set up.
May we also see the same for your original mount?
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #419 on: November 11, 2013, 06:41:16 am »
Great to hear about the new seat post and see the pictures of the set up.
May we also see the same for your original mount?
Hi Matt!

I do have one wearing my red felt cowboy hat and riding Ol' Paint the hobby horse early in my Fourth year, but it is not ready to hand.

However, I have some stand-ins that get closer to the mark.

First attached photo is me at age 6 in 1966 with my first owned bike, given by a family friend as a hand-me-down after his kids outgrew it. I think it was a Western Flyer. A fine bike; note the comfort 'bars, mudguards, and rear touring rack. The tires would occasionally pick up a thorn or two, putting me well on my way to owning a much better sort of Thorn.

Second photo shows I've refined my position since, but the markups show I was riding "well within the wheelbase" even then!

Third photo shows me at age 8 in 1968 (for those doing the math, I'm currently 53, digits which added together in Dan's Birthday Math* equals...8 ) with my Schwinn Sting-Ray, purchased second-hand from my father's co-worker after his son outgrew it. Please note the mudguards, *dis*comfort 'bars, absence of a touring rack, and the Eunuch shifter option -- ouch! Please note also this was my last bike without drop handlebars and full touring setup. There is a Reason for my subsequent cycling preferences and you're looking at it.  :D

Best,

Dan.
*For those of you dreading the birthdays of advancing years, rejoice! The solution is Dan's Birthday Math™. Add the two digits of your age together and you'll have your True Age. Care to revisit halcyon days gone by? You'll have several chances. You'll never age past 18 (age 99 is "really" 9+9=18) and after that, you'll start fresh again (100 or 1+0+0=1). Follow this method and you'll save buying candles for the birthday cake. Endorsed by my 96 year-old father, age 15. ;D
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 08:17:54 am by Danneaux »