Author Topic: Danneaux's Nomad  (Read 231242 times)

jags

Re: Danneaux's Nomad
« Reply #210 on: June 02, 2013, 10:30:37 am »
wow excellent set up Dan best of luck with your upcoming tour you certainly have the bike in tip top condition ready for anything .have you tried any short day tours with the trailer.

mickeg

« Reply #211 on: June 02, 2013, 09:22:06 pm »

This is the same spoke holder I made for Sherpa, and it seals the spokes rattle-free yet readily accessible within the seat post where they can't be lost and always be handy when required. The spokes ride in three foam donuts to prevent noise. The little monofilament tether attached to the plug makes it easy to remove them when needed (Attached pic #1)

I used a few bread loaf wrapper twist ties to tie several spokes together and put them in the seatpost.  And a wine cork to keep them there.  The wine cork dried out and fit loosely so I wrapped some PVC electrical tape around it to make a tighter fit in the seatpost.

If I had known where to buy the rubber stopper with wing nut like you used, I would not have had the reason to purchase the wine cork.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #212 on: June 02, 2013, 10:07:10 pm »
have you tried any short day tours with the trailer.
Hi Jags! I don't want to get into it too deeply here, when I badly need to update the topic I dedicated solely to the trailer ( http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4953.0 ), but I can say it has performed well on my day trials now I have fitted it with replacement q/r-hitches and a 12mm longer attachment fork, which has cured all interference problems between the Nomad's rear mudguard and a load fitted to the trailer's own rack. Next step is to finish my electrification of the trailer and address a few niggling problems for my own satisfaction. I'm getting there, but it is taking some time. I have some printed-circuit boards soaking in acid as I write this, and the electrics and fabrication work for the taillight mounts are coming along nicely.

In truth, using a trailer is a double-edged sword. For general touring, I much prefer the simplicity of only a loaded bike, but for this next tour, the trailer is essential for carrying the extra food and extra water (20l) I will need for an extended period away from services and sources of potable water (most of the water I will find is alkali -- and cannot be treated to make it drinkable).

Based on my trials, it should be largely unnoticeable on road, mildly noticeable on extremely poor roads, and a real pain going cross-country through sagebrush. The bags hang at the same level as front low-riders, and while the trailer does a wonderful job of following the bike very closely, I do expect it to hang up occasionally. It is an added impediment to lifting the (sometimes 70kg/154lb fully loaded) bike cleanly over barbed-wire fences, and it will be harder to take into a public restroom or secure while parked.

On the other side of the coin, it will double my charging capacity and allow for much better handling than if I were to hang that much extra food and water on the bike alone. It also distributes my total weight over three wheels instead of two, which should help when I encounter moist playa, the kind that can cause the bike to sink halfway to the hubs.

On balance I think it will do well, given the demands of the trip. I will know much better after using it for an extended period of time in these conditions and will know better how to adjust or adapt it to my future use.
If I had known where to buy the rubber stopper with wing nut like you used, I would not have had the reason to purchase the wine cork.
George, I just wanted something I could make secure and forget about till I needed it. When I couldn't find what I wanted, I made it; the expanding stopper has done the trick. I can't stand rattles, so the foam discs were a necessity for me to hold the spokes away from the inside of the seatpost. So far, it has worked well on Sherpa and now the Nomad.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 11:25:03 pm by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #213 on: June 03, 2013, 12:07:38 am »
Hi All!

Not purely Nomadish, but I did just finish marking and installing anti-theft tethers on the trailer's Ortliebs to match those in use on the Nomad.

Having read a number of touring accounts, I have concluded it is a Good Idea to mark one's name on panniers, preferably on the inside (wheel side) so one won't get called-out (a common ploy to distract -- "Hey Dan!", you turn and look, and an accomplice grabs whatever), yet allowing ready identification when ownership is disputed or if a stolen bag is recovered. I've marked all six of mine and the underside of the handlebar bag similarly. It worked in kindergarten; should work about as well in adulthood.

The Ortlieb tethers retract into the QL-2 mounting rails and the ends are held unobtrusively but securely by the little clips included in the kit. Though providing no real security -- I'm sure they could be cut by sturdy scissors -- they are small and thin enough to prevent a quick grab-and-go by a thief while parked. By feeding the tethers through their own closed loops, they become large enough to be secured by larger locks. I found my ring-lock will nicely secure my two rear bags, and the plug-in cable for the ring-lock will secure the bike's front wheel as well as the two front panniers. The trailer's panniers will be secured by the same U-lock that secures the SON28 to the trailer and thence to the bike. Given how small, light, and unobtrusive the little Ortlieb tethers are, I think they're worth it for the added convenience when locking the bike briefly while using a restroom or dashing into a country store for supplies. I did once find a front bag detached and sitting by the rack, held by its little tether, so I think they were a deterrent in that case. I know the bag didn't jump off on its own while I was indoors.

I try to remove what I can whenever I briefly leave the bike while on-tour. All my documentation, cash, credit cards , and passport always stay in the HB bag and it goes with me on its shoulder strap when I leave. Before leaving, I tuck the GPS and solar panel inside as well. It's odd...I've occasionally lost things to people I'm sure I've spoken with just before leaving the bike, those who seemed unduly interested in the trip and --when asking others later -- seemed to have been the only people around before driving off. In those instances, it is almost as if they want a souvenir, as they tend to take things that aren't worth much objectively (but are worth a lot on-tour, where everything has a purpose). A compression strap, a double-ended spring clip used to "safety wire" a rack-top item against vibrational loss, even something I've picked up and tucked under a strap, like a wildflower or such. People are peculiar sometimes. In some cases, I've seen it happen and let if go as not worth the hassle if it was an inconsequential item.

Fortunately, I haven't lost a pump or such, but it could happen, I suppose.

Still, I feel a bit better having my name on things and some means to secure them against a casual grab.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 07:01:07 pm by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #214 on: June 05, 2013, 12:01:55 am »
Hi All!

I was entirely too optimistic and premature when I announced the Nomad was "Done". That may be true for the major elements, but there's always some little tweaking left, right?

In the photo attached below, you can see how some of thiese additional tweaks. First, on the 1l Zefal Magnum water bottles. These are great bottles, odor-free, conveniently large, and leak-proof -- provided you get the lids screwed on tight. Some time ago, I fitted silicone rings in black to the lids and solved that problem. Then, I got to thinking. While on-tour, I tend to reserve one bottle for Gatorade and other sports drinks that can leave the bottle tasting a bit "off" if plain drinking water follows without rinsing first. Also, I tend to reserve one bottle for water-purifying duties, and I make reallyreallyreally *sure* there's no contaminated water on the outside of the bottle to get inside, where the purified stuff lives.

The solution? More silicone bands in different colors. Depending on whether they ride on the grip of the bottle or the lid, they will designate different needs and help keep me on track when I get stoopid from fatigue or heat. I got mine for USD$1.29 from one of many eBay vendors in the 18cm diameter, which proved to be just right: http://www.ebay.com/itm/300736453504?var=600048502223&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 The red on black bottles will match my red-and-black Ortlieb bags.

The second little tweak involves the bike as tow vehicle for the Extrawheel trailer. I will go into greater detail soon on the trailer's dedicated topic, but for now, the photo below shows the 12mm longer "29er" trailer fork is necessary when using the Extrawheel-mounted rack if the trailer load is to clear the rear mudguard of the bike. Also and happily, the extra length allows the trailer fork to clear the bike's mudguard mudflap. I decided to add this rear mudflap as a courtesy to following cyclists (standard randonneur practice) and it has the added benefit of shielding the bronze bushings and stainless spherical end bearings on the trailer's pivots from corrosive alkali dust kicked up by the bike's rear tire. I looked at Il Padrone's photo of a mud-caked trailer connection earlier in this thread ( http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4523.msg36769#msg36769 ...and... http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4523.msg36779#msg36779) and concluded the bushings are bound to be happier shielded than not. The mudflap should keep the worst of the glop off them.

The trailer's development continues with my development and refinement of the electrics -- dynohub, charger, and its own lighting system. I've got fresh circuit boards soaking in acid, and am getting the final bits ready to put together.

Best,

Dan. (...who -- while nursing the latest biopsy site on his left earlobe -- urges all to wear sunscreen while outdoors)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 07:03:27 pm by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #215 on: June 09, 2013, 06:26:41 am »
Boy!

Logging roads are tough on hands (and mine were reasonably well-calloused to begin with) -- even with gel-palmed gloves in use. 'Just constant vibration and moving about on the 'bars. Still, it is good to acquire a fresh set of blisters-to-callouses before I hit the playa and gravel.

Best,

Dan. (...who pines for the days when all roadie gloves had fully padded palms)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 07:02:53 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #216 on: June 09, 2013, 11:25:42 am »
that looks sore dan honest try weigh lifters gloves the padding is super strong and great for the bike.

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #217 on: June 09, 2013, 02:05:20 pm »
Dan,

Your dedication and ingenuity leaves us all humble.

Long may you ride.

Sam

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #218 on: June 24, 2013, 08:42:39 am »
Hi All!

Late enough to be well into tomorrow here already after a busy day and weekend, so this will be a short post.

Attached is a photo of the Nomad and Extrawheel trailer, taken on a development ride today.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 07:02:12 pm by Danneaux »

ianshearin

« Reply #219 on: June 24, 2013, 08:47:03 am »
Dan, what can I say.....

Your an artist......
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

jags

« Reply #220 on: June 24, 2013, 09:01:47 am »
hell of a build well done. ;)

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #221 on: June 24, 2013, 11:41:16 am »
Simply stunning!

Dan, you've set the bar VERY high. That is a flagship!

Sam

honesty

« Reply #222 on: June 24, 2013, 12:32:34 pm »
need to change the mudguard on the extrawheel... its the only thing thats not black!  ;)

Looks stunning.

jags

« Reply #223 on: June 24, 2013, 12:50:42 pm »
i spotted that as well but i bet  you a pound to a penny he has a reason for that. ;D

freddered

« Reply #224 on: June 24, 2013, 03:27:42 pm »
What mudguards are you using on the front?  I like the way it wraps right over the front wheel so you don't get any spray up from the front tyre.

Looks great by the way.

Now fit a front rack..for that totally macho look