Author Topic: Danneaux's Nomad  (Read 231334 times)

Andre Jute

Re: Danneaux's Nomad
« Reply #150 on: March 05, 2013, 06:14:00 pm »
Andre he would want to be a very brave man to steal dans bike ,you know the old saying never disturb a quiet man  ;D ;D

Why, then, he deserves to suffer a Darwinian accident.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #151 on: March 05, 2013, 06:42:16 pm »
Yikes, Andre; makes me think I shouldn't post a rare, left-side view ('most all the photos you see are taken from the drivetrain side). This one pre-dates taping of the 'bars and I have yet to install the lights and charging system.

All the best,

Dan. (...one of the Quiet Ones who, once started, doesn't stop)

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #152 on: March 05, 2013, 06:58:05 pm »
Dan - fantastic shot of the Nomad! This looks like the ultimate go anywhere machine! :)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #153 on: March 05, 2013, 07:57:57 pm »
Early this morning, I took a quick spin on the Nomad in heavy rain and thought I'd share a quick shot of the snow still on the mountains here'bouts. It is a little soft thanks to the moisture in the air, but gives some idea of winter's lingering grip.

Speaking of "grip", the new handlebar tape worked very nicely in the wet stuff, giving a firm handhold and absorbing lots of road-shock. Compression-wrapped over the Grab-On foam, it feels soft initially, but quickly firms up nicely over bumps without feeling squishy or imprecise. In comparison, the Tektro rubber brake hoods feel pretty hard, so I am continuing my search for pads to add there. I'll soon be spending 17-hours days in the saddle on rough ground, and my hands will thank my efforts put in that direction now. Despite some reported problems with adhesive "creep", I may give these a try: http://g-form.com/products/brake-hood-overgrip/

Occasionally, we've had snow here on March 5th, but so far this year, only rain. Today's my birthday -- No. 53 officially, but only 8 by Dan's Birthday Math, where your age is the two digits added together. You can never be more than 18, and have the opportunity to revisit past ages several times. It takes the sting out of aging and saves on candles for the cake.

Best,

Dan. (...whose 95 year-old father had his 14th birthday -- again -- last October)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 06:42:54 pm by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #154 on: March 05, 2013, 10:01:38 pm »
Hi All!

I have just posted a video showing my Rohloff shifter mounted to the T-bar above my compact drop handlebars, and how easily I can "dial-in" as many as 7 gears at a turn by "spinning the dial" from the end, approaching as I would to turn a doorknob. This setup really has proven convenient for my use, and hopefully the video will show why I prefer this location.

My YouTube channel is TheSherpaRider. The video may be found at: http://youtu.be/lVh3qb4F0sQ

I always wear cycling gloves while riding, but left them off so you can better see my finger and hand positions while shifting. It isn't a very far reach from either the regular brake hoods or from the interrupter levers mounted beneath the tops of the handlebars. I find it even a bit more convenient in practice than bar-end shifters on a derailleur bike.

I'm usually more inline when at rest on the brake hoods, but had to accommodate the very tall/wide tripod holding the camera as I shot the video.

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #155 on: March 05, 2013, 11:04:47 pm »
Good video dan very impressed at how quick that turns but will it go into gear as quick say going from 7 to 14 .lovely clear video as well cant wait to see a few more  ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #156 on: March 05, 2013, 11:07:29 pm »
...will it go into gear as quick say going from 7 to 14
Yep. Jags. when the knob stops -- wherever it stops -- you're already in gear. No pedaling another quarter-turn or so as with a der mech, waiting for the chain to go "clunk" into place. By the time the knob is turned, it has already shifted.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 07:45:03 am by Danneaux »

il padrone

« Reply #157 on: March 06, 2013, 02:27:10 am »
In comparison, the Tektro rubber brake hoods feel pretty hard, so I am continuing my search for pads to add there. I'll soon be spending 17-hours days in the saddle on rough ground, and my hands will thank my efforts put in that direction now. Despite some reported problems with adhesive "creep", I may give these a try: http://g-form.com/products/brake-hood-overgrip/

A different view on the use of brake hood padding - from the reviews given here

the padding is very squishy and radically changes the braking characteristics. You have to push through the gel until you get firm enough purchase to apply sufficient braking pressure. This forces you to move your hands to the unpadded portion of the hoods, or move down to the drops, to get a firm braking foundation. Try that in an emergency braking situation. This is the reason why brake hoods aren't gel-padded, only thickly rubberized. You have to have a relatively unyielding gripping surface for effective braking control.

il padrone

« Reply #158 on: March 06, 2013, 02:50:38 am »
Just looking at your video and it becomes apparent that your grip on the gear shift while cycling would be virtually as good as normal steering - you are not riding one-handed at all, as the extension mount is securely connected to the steerer.

Also I suddenly thought of the Nitto Lamp Holder shown here on Peter White's site (half-way down the page):

It's not black, but it might allow you to simplify the steerer set-up, maybe reducing a bit of weight, keep the profile all a bit lower.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 02:53:45 am by il padrone »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #159 on: March 06, 2013, 04:06:35 am »
<nods> Yes, I've seen that review of the over-grips, Pete...thanks for flagging it, though. It is a decided downside, and I don't doubt the review. The trouble is, when it comes to brake hood padding, there really isn't much out there to choose from. I would much prefer G-form's dedicated hoods 'cos the squishy stuff is encapsulated in the molded hoods and is *much* more stable, plus there are no adhesive issues to deal with. The adhesive overgrips don't appear they'd be very long-lived under constant, heavy use from user reports I've seen (including one from JimG, a nice fellow and an old iBOB alumnus from my days there).

Though they looked kinda homegrown, Spenco once offered sleeves made of either their usual nylon-covered, nitrogen-filled blown neoprene foam (skin-diver's suit material, essentially) or gel-foam that was sewn into sleeves that slipped over the hoods. It was available in black, was stable, and lasted a long time. I may need to pay a visit to Eugene Skin Diver's Supply to pick up some neoprene sheeting. As I recall from my last go-'round with it, there's a variety of thicknesses to choose from. The trouble is I don't have a sewing machine with a free-arm small enough to fit inside the loop to make a butted joint that is held by overcast stitching. I'd have to do it by hand, and that's tough to do. I did see a NOS set of Spenco gel covers for sale the other day, but  never much liked the gel and they were blue.

Tektro's hoods are unusually dense and unyielding. I looked to see if Hudz made a cover like the old aftermarket A'Me hoods I fitted t my rando bike. Those are made of a sort of spongy-feeling rubbery urethane and are really comfortable. The Tektro hoods are interchangeable with the ones offered by Cane Creek, but the only difference I can see is the CC ones have little lizards embossed on them instead of being pebble-grained.

I'm tempted to slice and fit a section of dense Grab-On foam and fit it to the back of the hoods, but I'm not sure how to hold it secure. Sure, it could be taped in place, but that would look bad, and aesthetics count as much as comfort!  ;)

Oh! And the Nitto Lamp Holder...exquisitely finished and unassailable quality as with all Nitto products, this would be ideal with a quill stem, drop 'bars and a Rohloff. Though my current setup "stacks" a bit high, I really like it, and it leaves room for me to mount the HB bag down low and up close to the steerer to minimize any effect on handling, so I'll probably stay with what I have; it is just working so well for my needs. "Different", yes! but "just right" for my needs at present.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 08:14:50 am by Danneaux »

Andre Jute

« Reply #160 on: March 06, 2013, 10:13:41 pm »
The video also shows what isn't there: on those narrow drop bars, even if you could somehow manoeuvre the Rohloff shifter into place on the bar itself, it would cut into your handspace.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #161 on: March 06, 2013, 11:27:22 pm »
You're absolutely right, Andre, and...in Roadie World, those are considered moderate-to-wide handlebars by today's standards and ginormous by the standards of days past. These are a Maes bend, 44cm wide top and bottom, matching my shoulder width so I can "ride narrow", stay all arrowdynamicky, and still keep my Roadie Club membership. For comparison, the randonneur-bend handlebars on my favorite derailleur-equipped bike are only 37cm wide at the top (45cm at the bottom). *That* is narrow, but just the same as generations of Tour de France riders rode to victory back in the day.

Grant over at Riv has an interesting thesis with some merit, I think. He postulates that roadie 'bars usta be narrower because Q-factor/tread/track/distance between one's feet used to be narrower as well. He figures as Q-factor increases at the crank, handlebars also need to grow wider else the bike won't be laterally balanced and it will be harder to steer, especially when "honking" (throwing the bike from side to side, rider off the saddle, standing to pedal).

You're absolutely right -- getting that Rohloff shifter up off the handlebar really freed up space on the 'bars...what little there is compared to MTB straight or comfort 'bars. It may look odd, but it sure works well for my needs and allows for Speed Dialing when selecting gears.

All the best,

Dan. (...whose out-of-box thinking is also off-the-'bar)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #162 on: March 07, 2013, 07:00:29 pm »
Hi All!

With a few moments to hand, I turned myself to the task of attaching my rear BuddyFlap. I'd like it to protect the ExtraWheel trailer hitch bearings from corrosive desert playa kicked up by the rear wheel, and I wanted it easily detachable if desired. I also wanted to avoid having wet-gloppy playa cake up between it and the tire if I run into rain (if mounted inside the mudguard, the flap makes a small mud-holding shelf, not a problem at the front where I have opened the 'guard for wider clearance at the lower stay).

Fastening the BuddyFlap to the outside solved all my problems. By happy accident, the flap holes were factory-stamped at the same spacing as the screw and peg that hold the reflector on the SKS P55 'guard. The flap compresses just enough so the reflector peg still engages the 'guard and the lot is held stable and secure with plenty of threads left on the screw. In effect, the flap material gaskets the reflector and the fender/'guard contours shape the upper portion of the flap so it hangs properly with the perfect combination of stiffness/flexibility. 'Couldn't have been easier! Placing the mount so close to the stay bracket reduces the chance of flap torque twisting the unsupported portion of the mudguard, and of course the 'guard holes are already present, so no new ones had to be drilled.

Best,

Dan. (...who is 'guardedly optimistic and no longer in a flap over mud and wet, corrosive playa)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 06:43:58 pm by Danneaux »

julk

« Reply #163 on: March 07, 2013, 11:18:39 pm »
Dan,
You have just beat me to it.
Santa brought me some BuddyFlaps and I have been thinking about fitting them now Spring is on the way…
I hope mine go on as easy, they will be replacing Brooks leather mudflaps.
Julian.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #164 on: March 08, 2013, 12:24:49 am »
You have just beat me to it. Santa brought me some BuddyFlaps...
Oh, how nice; Santa heard your wishes! I think you'll be pleased with these, Julian. Among several virtures, BuddyFlaps have an exceptionally shiny and smooth surface that makes cleaning easy. In fact, most debris doesn't seem to stick as easily to begin with. Then, being of fairly thick vinyl, there is just enough mass for them to hang nicely and not curl up in the breeze. I decided to mount mine with the subtle embossed logo facing the tire so the outside would remain smooth in appearance. I've managed to "sell" three sets of these flaps locally to people who have seen them in the last couple weeks and wanted to know what they were. They are several steps ahead of most homemade mudflaps.

Those Brooks flaps are lovely-looking things when new, but can get a bit tattered here'bouts, thanks to the constant exposure to winter moisture and stuff kicked up from the road.

Best wishes for a smooth, easy installation! If you develop any questions, give a shout.

Dan.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 07:49:17 am by Danneaux »