Author Topic: Single speed character  (Read 2967 times)

Matt2matt2002

Single speed character
« on: April 26, 2013, 08:37:53 pm »
Browsing through the SJS and Thorn sites wondering what Mrs Matt can buy me for my birthday when I came across the KMC x1 chain.

The bumf reads..
KMC's latest innovation is the X1, the first chain to be developed specifically for top quality internal gear hubs, like Rohloff. The X1 is unique. It has a specific single speed character and is extremely durable.

What jumped out at me was the term, Single Speed Character.

Ever one to smell a rat, I wondered what made the chain single speed specific. Or special / different from other chains.
Is this company hype?
Or do I need my nose testing?  ;)

Matt - as in rat
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Single speed character
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 09:11:20 pm »
Hi Matt!

According to KMC's European website...
You may wonder: "what is so special about a single speed chain?" Indeed, most manufacturers offer one model only. KMC disagrees. A chain for a Rohloff internal gear has totally different requirements compared to a chain fitted on a children's bike. That's why KMC has put a lot of effort into research- and development of these chains, solely for single speed or internal gear bikes.

World’s best single speed chain is KMC’s X1. The first chain to be developed specifically for top quality bikes with internal gear hubs, like Rohloff, Alfine or Nexus.

The X1 is unique. It has a specific single speed character and is extremely durable.
I would take it to mean the chain was designed with tighter tolerances to make it less flexible laterally (as a derailleur chain would need to move from cog to cog or between chainrings). It also looks to me as if the side plates are a bit deeper and not as heavily chamfered, perhaps for the same reasons. Both of these qualities would "optimize" the chain's performance when used in a fixed chainline, as with a single-speed or IGH.

I see the chain was developed in cooperation with Dutch maker Idworx, who are known for getting manufacturers to build specific parts that maximize drivetrain life. They are also proponents of odd-odd tooth counts on chainrings and cogs and have had custom chainrings made for that purpose as well.

Forum discussions related to KMC's chains can be found in this custom search: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=search2

Best,

Dan. (...who always thought a "single speed character" was someone who rode a Fixie  :D )
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 09:19:10 pm by Danneaux »

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 10:07:57 pm »
Can't help you, Matt. A common derailleur chain, or even a good one like the KMC X8 that I use on my Rohloff, is made to tolerate a good bit of side to side movement. A single-speed chain doesn't need the side to side movement, so can be more cheaply built. Though a big admirer of KMC higher-end chains, I also wonder what the X1 brings to the party to justify the price. KMC's coy generalities sound like marketing department snake oil.

Andre Jute

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 09:22:50 am »
Hi Matt!

According to KMC's European website...I would take it to mean the chain was designed with tighter tolerances to make it less flexible laterally (as a derailleur chain would need to move from cog to cog or between chainrings). It also looks to me as if the side plates are a bit deeper and not as heavily chamfered, perhaps for the same reasons. Both of these qualities would "optimize" the chain's performance when used in a fixed chainline, as with a single-speed or IGH.

Dan. (...who always thought a "single speed character" was someone who rode a Fixie  :D )

Well I can help, Dan is right in saying that a Singlespeed chain is made to not flex sideways  8)

Singlespeed chain's are stronger then your derailleur chain's because the plates are made thicker (and a little larger) the Bushing in side of the chain is wider (Because there is not need to flex sideways when changing gears).
I have one just seating here waiting to go onto my "Tom" once I charge the front chainring down to a 38T.

I would be still using a Rohloff Chain if they still made them! I know where their are a few new one's be no money can make them come my way  :(

Pete
 ;)

A true Singlespeed is a Unicycle  ;D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 09:25:12 am by NZPeterG »
The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ