Author Topic: Thorn lookalike  (Read 3899 times)

antonio75

Thorn lookalike
« on: July 25, 2012, 11:41:44 am »
I've just come across this forum, which seems like a nice friendly place to be. After an eleven month "Round the World with Bicycle" trip in 1994 on a Dawes Super Galaxy, I returned to the UK and in early 1995 got myself a job as the "Touring and Development Officer" with the CTC. I'd had many hours in the saddle to think about my ultimate touring/expedition bike, and working daily alongside, and with advice from the CTC's technical guru, Chris Juden I decided to create one. I'd read Tony Oliver's book, "Touring Bikes" from cover to cover and was impressed by Tony's common sense approach and background in metallurgy. After much musing, I ordered a custom frame from Tony and built my dream tourer. Here's a couple of photos taken today. It's still the same spec as when I built it up, apart from the rear mech - changed after a fellow rider smacked into me from behind and bent the XT mech I fitted originally.

What's the relevance to Thorn? Well at the time, I wasn't aware of Thorn frames, so the design - sloping top tube, 26" wheels etc, is very similar to some Thorn touring frames I've subsequently encountered. Great minds think alike, or fools seldom differ?........you decide!

You might be interested to know that the majority of the components were supplied mail order by SJS cycles. Here's a photo of the receipt from 1995. I suspect their invoices may look a tad tidier in 2012!  :)

What I will say is that I was pleased with the service I received from SJS at the time. I'm more pleased that the company is still trading successfully after 17 years. I'm even more delighted to report that of all the bikes I own (currently 8) - this is my favourite. It rides like a dream, is comfortable and even heavily laden - handles beautifully. If anyone would like more info on the frame, please feel free to ask. Sadly Tony Oliver stopped building frames quite a few years ago and I believe now makes his living as a professional photographer.

jags

Re: Thorn lookalike
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 03:27:58 pm »
welcome, that sure is a fantastic looking bike the guy that built it sure knows his stuff pity he's retired.
can i ask what wheels and tyres you have also can't figure out the head light .i'm a right nosy bugger.
anyway beautiful bike enjoy it and hope you stick around.

triaesthete

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 04:33:57 pm »
Hi Antonio
this forum is surely a nice place to be. Welcome aboard.

Given your bikes Thornliness, his big galloping gears and the fact his original master is now off the scene, could we Christen him Shergar?
Best wishes
Ian

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 06:24:33 pm »
Yeah, that is one beautiful bike!

What sorts of adventures do you take it out for?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 06:48:45 pm »
Hi Antonio!

Welcome, and great to have you on-board; I think you'll like it here.

My! What a stunning machine you have, with a remarkable development and provenance. Thanks so much for the photos, and you were especially thoughtful to include the one showing the SJS Cycles receipt from "back in the day". It is always a pleasure to see a tool so wonderfully suited to the owner's purpose and needs, and this is a terrific bike by any standard; a real stunner!

<nods> Yes, minds do think alike, and it is understandable how bikes intended for similar use would evolve similarly. Even now, we're seeing a convergence of designs among carbon racing bikes.

Thanks for your story, and favoring us with some photos of your terrific ride.

Best,

Dan.

antonio75

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 08:08:43 pm »
welcome, that sure is a fantastic looking bike the guy that built it sure knows his stuff pity he's retired.
can i ask what wheels and tyres you have also can't figure out the head light .i'm a right nosy bugger.
anyway beautiful bike enjoy it and hope you stick around.

Thanks for the warm welcome and the compliments. The wheels were built handbuilt by Jeremy Duke. I sourced a 32 hole Shimano XT front hub and an XTR 36 hole rear hub. Jeremy built the wheels using DT stainless spokes and Mavic ceramic rims. Chris Juden drilled a lubrication hole in the rear hub for me, so I can pump grease in there. The hole is covered with an old Campag Record clip to keep the grease in and the water out. The tyres are Avocet 32mm touring tyres.

The headlamp is part of the dynamo system. The frame has a braze-on on the left hand front fork for the dynamo and another for the headlamp. Tony custom made a short bracket to fit the headlamp onto. The wiring goes through the down tube, exits in front of the bottom bracket then is securely glued under the rear mudguard. It's connected to a rear light on the mudguard - a fancy one with a capacitor built in so the light says on even when the bike has stopped. I have Chris Juden to thank for that - he sourced this light from Germany (I think) and it does the job perfectly. This bike was put together before LED lighting became popular and cheap.

The frame - if anyone is interested - is a mix of Reynolds 708 main tubes and Columbus SP offroad forks, seat stays and chain stays. It was put together using silver brazing. There is lots of tyre clearance (at my request) - when in remote places often the only available tyre is a knobbly 26" mountain bike tyre. I found  that it wasn't easy in out of the way places to find 700c touring tyres for my Dawes- so I thought if I ever need to replace a busted tyre, 26" tyres are pretty much ubiquitous. 26" wheels also means that even with mudguards fitted I have toe end clearance when turning the front wheel. (Short people take note!).Tony added loads of handy braze-ons e.g. three sets of bottle bosses, a pump peg on the side/rear of the seat tube and a pip on the chainstay to secure the pump. I still have the original order form and spec sheet tucked away. Sadly I lent my copy of Touring Bikes to someone and never got it back. I highly recommend it - it's still has relevance to this day.

Hope this has been of some interest.

jags

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 08:41:27 pm »
has indeed antonio great help thanks.
neat way to run dynamo  wire very clever.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 09:51:26 pm »
Hope this has been of some interest.
Oh, very much so, Antonio!

One thing that strikes me positively in particular (especially considering the date it was made) is how beautifully-balanced it appears. If one didn't know, there aren't the usual visual cues this bike has 26" wheels. That was an aesthetic hangup I had to overcome when I first considered a bike with 26" wheels (Sherpa, though the same concern held true for others); they just looked so "different" to me at the time. Your bike is all in such lovely traditional proportion. At first glance, it most closely resembles a 700C Club Tour.

Anyway, in addition to compliments on the spec and outfitting, equal kudos to the execution. Some real vision went into this, and it shows.

Best,

Dan.