Author Topic: rohloff noise  (Read 10206 times)

west@fsmail.net

rohloff noise
« on: February 10, 2005, 12:48:09 pm »
Hi there,
i would be grateful for any feedback on Rohloff equipped bikes. Ihave been reading about the noise they make in certain gears, ie. CTC article. What do you owners think, as i am considering a Raven Sport. Any advice or comments would be welcome.
Thanks Steve.

marcg

Re: rohloff noise
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 01:08:40 pm »
The noise is negligible unless you are a Ninja Stealth fighter in which case it will probably not be what you want.

The bike is lovely
http://www.sjscycles.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259

ahconway

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 01:10:36 pm »
I was prepared for much worse. The only real noticeable noise I have is in 7th (I think - it's hard to tell because the numbers don't align exactly with the dot).

Except for that one gear, it's virtually silent. And this tiny bit of noise is a small price to pay for the absence of derailleur changes and chain-slap!

Don't let this be the reason you decide not to go for a Raven! (You should, however, carefully consider the type of riding you do. If you're used to speeding past your mates on their Pinarellos and Cinellis, you might not be on the right track.)

Andrew

quote:
Originally posted by west@fsmail.net

Hi there,
i would be grateful for any feedback on Rohloff equipped bikes. Ihave been reading about the noise they make in certain gears, ie. CTC article. What do you owners think, as i am considering a Raven Sport. Any advice or comments would be welcome.
Thanks Steve.

west@fsmail.net

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 06:37:19 pm »
Thanks for the replies, i think the cinellis and pinerellos are safe from my Dawes Galaxy....
Steve.

graham

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 07:44:45 pm »
quote:
The only real noticeable noise I have is in 7th (I think - it's hard to tell because the numbers don't align exactly with the dot).

From the limited amount of playing I've been doing with my gear cable adjustment, I think you should be able to sort that out by slightly slackening one adjuster screw on the rear brake pivot, and tightening the other to suit.

Our tandem is noticeably noisier than a Thorn Rohloff solo we tried out, but that might be because there is more power being put through it than we could manage on our own. Even so, Gears 8 thru 11 are pretty quiet, 8 and 9 are surprisingly so. 10 gets noisier as the cadence increases and 11 is silent. 12 is the noisiest of the higher range, with 13 and 14 being slightly less so.
Gear 7 is the noisiest of the lot, but even that has got quieter with use (now over 2750 miles). 4, 5 and 6 are quite tolerable. We seldom use gear 3 and just about never use 1 and 2 so wouldn't really want to comment on them.
Luckily 11th gear is the one we use about 50% of the time. If you go for a Rohloff, I don't suppose you'd regret it, but it is worth thinking long and hard about your cruising speed and cadence and getting an input ratio to the hub so that 11 is your most used gear.

We quite often pass solos with derailleurs which are far noisier than our tandem.
We currently have a pedal bearing click which is far more annoying than hub gear noise in any gear. Must get round to doing some maintenance.

The Rohloff website contains information on how many sets of gears are engaged in each gear, and this does correspond reasonably well with noise levels ie. more gears in use=more noise.

http://www.rohloff/de/

west@fsmail.net

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 05:49:01 pm »
Thanks for the advice Graham.

Frenchie

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 12:29:00 pm »
Gear 7 is noisy, but I don't use it much... At least it reminds me that I am working hard. I rarely go below gear 5 unless loaded. Otherwise the bike is now relatively quiet after 7-8 months and 3,000 kms of happy riding with my Raven Tour.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 12:29:37 pm by Frenchie »