Author Topic: New Mercury Build  (Read 29783 times)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: New Mercury Build
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2015, 10:44:55 pm »
ach, just had my second flat of the season with my 47-559 Marathon Racers. Granted it is a rather dreadful stretch of road, but the grocery store is that-a-way. Which means of course my tools are buried beneath the nectarines etc. A nice little vegetable selection spread out on the side of the road as I pull things apart and put them back together.

This time it was a bit of wire - looked a bit like a staple. Somehow it had gone 90% of the way through the tire. The fix was straightforward. Happy to report that my second time fixing a rear flat with the chainglider, I have the pattern down better, and it is really simple. Plus the clean chain is sure nicer to work with!

I had one couple in a car stop to check on me, then some kids drive by yelling who knows what, then a state trooper stop with his lights flashing and we had a nice chat. "Why do you ride on this road?'" he asks. To get to the other side, classic answer. I put in a plug for a stretch of local rail to be converted to trail. Lots of nice riding in the county but right where I live it's a bit of a nasty knot!

Two flats in a few months... might just be time to switch tires. I have some Mondials lying about, or should I get some Marathon Plus? Hmmm.