Author Topic: What's your Rohloff combo (chainring, cog)?  (Read 170713 times)

martinf

Re: What's your Rohloff combo (chainring, cog)?
« Reply #105 on: December 17, 2012, 08:02:13 pm »
<nods> That's exactly the direction I'm heading, Martin, going from a 40x17 to a 38x17 just as soon as I can convince Surly to produce a 38T stainless 'ring in 104BCD for my HollowTech II crank.

As André has pointed out in another thread, it might be a long time before I do the change. Hub gear sprockets generally last me at least 5,000 kms each side.

I am expecting the Rohloff one to last significantly longer, due to the Chainglider.

Andre Jute

« Reply #106 on: December 17, 2012, 08:32:08 pm »
We may also have to wait for the peripheral manufacturers. I spent half an hour today with my gearing spreadsheet, and decided I'm okay on 38x16, what with the motor filling in the really steep hills. 38x17 on my 29-er would be still one step away from the new permitted ratio but I don't think it would make much difference to me. 36x16 or even 36x17 would be different enough to consider, and may be necessary if I want to remove the motor, but then the absence of a suitable Chainglider size would weigh seriously against those ratios. But eventually Hebie will catch on, and a year or two later catch up...

Martin, my Rohloff sprocket has done 6200km, all of it in a chain case, and there is little sign of wear on it. 10K on the first side is distinctly likely.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2012, 04:40:36 am »
Hi All!

Might be kinda nice -- assuming the cogs and/or 'rings had little use, as Martin's and mine do -- to advertise them for exchange/swap or at discount on the Bike Bits/Accessories For Sale board, here http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?board=17.0

This would not work, of course, if the components has more advanced wear with the same chain, but might work well if they were largely unused or had an unused face/side. It would be a little less expensive than buying new for experimentation, and would provide a ready means to get the gearing one wants.

I may go for a 36x17 in place of my 40x17. Basically, I would exchange an 89 gear-inch high I'll rarely if ever use for a more practical 80". At the low end, I would gain a most welcome 15" to slot in below my present 17" which would become my new Gear 2. Not bad, swapping a too-high high for a more useful low.

My favorite cruising gears are 58" and 62" on my half-step derailleur bikes,  all at my usual 110RPM cadence (good for a cruising speed of 17-21mph/27-34kph in those gears; plenty for me). I have close to that at present with my 53"/61" Gears 10/11, but I find myself shifting more often to Gear 10 when loaded and it is a little low once I make the jump. The 36T chainring would give me 55"/62" Gears 11/12, which is a much nicer combination and placement for me. I also get a my favoed 42" in exchange for a nearly identical 41" for slogging into headwinds. For my riding, the 36T chainring gives me 14 gears I'll actually use, rather than 13 where my two favorite cruising gears aren't quite right and a low about 1 gear too high when fully loaded on 16%-24% grades. Looks good.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 08:16:44 am by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2012, 08:11:53 am »
Done deal; I placed my order a few moments ago for a "fits up to 38T" Thorn 104BCD bash guard and snagged a 36T/104BCD Surly stainless 'ring on eBay. They may arrive after Christmas, but Santa (in the form of family members) had a hand in it.

We'll see how it goes, but I won't miss a high too high for my needs, and will be happy to have one gear lower when winching my way up antelope trails and goat tracks in the Pueblo Mountains, Wallowas, Ochocos and Calapooyas, carrying a full load including 15-odd liters of water and a week's-plus supply of food.

Best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #109 on: December 18, 2012, 01:01:35 pm »
I may go for a 36x17 in place of my 40x17. Basically, I would exchange an 89 gear-inch high I'll rarely if ever use for a more practical 80". At the low end, I would gain a most welcome 15" to slot in below my present 17" which would become my new Gear 2. Not bad, swapping a too-high high for a more useful low.

Gee, is it only ten years since Andy Blance thought it was necessary to defend "low gears" like 40x17?

Andre Jute
Who can do enough math to have been on 38x17 from the beginning, except the dealer wouldn't fit anything not sanctioned by Rohloff

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #110 on: December 18, 2012, 04:58:46 pm »
...except the dealer wouldn't fit anything not sanctioned by Rohloff
<nods> Yep, Andre; exactly why I went with the "approved" spec; I value the warranty, though there was ample evidence of sufficient safety margin. And, yes, as you observed, a margin still remains, but I won't exceed official recommendations 'cos of the value of that warranty to me. Not an inexpensive bit of kit, the Rohloff, and it is nice to have the backing for it. A margin also equates in my mind to a greater practical guarantee of reliability; my little boat is sunk if the thing fails on me in the places where I'll be taking it. 'Wouldn't mind having a bit of remaining margin for that kind of use.

All the best,

Dan.

Pavel

« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2012, 06:41:48 pm »
Mine is 41 teeth a 17 rear cog.  I have, for the riding I've done thus far, decided that the combo is a bit low for me.  I find that even though I am now very weak that the lowest gear is so low that at a good cadence I only go about 4 to 4.5 miles an hour uphill and at the same time I can push between 2 and three miles an hour.  I like to get off the bike and push much of the time, partly because it also seems to rejuvenate me as it is using different muscles.  Now I also don't care to go too fast even when I can.  There is something I like about puttering along and I rarely peddle downhill to go faster, except (seriously) only to keep up with my daughter who seems to find "the faster the better" exhilarating.  Me ... I like to go no faster than about 25 mph so I don't have to pay too much attention, to things other than the beauty around me. 

One of these days I hope to get up enough energy to write a good in-depth (sixty page? :D ) review of some of the gear. I sure do have strong opinions of much of it.  Some things worked marvelously, far beyond expectations and other things were surprising duds and extremely frustrating. (listening by chance mr Garmin?!)

The Thorn Nomad itself, overall, was beyond my ability with superlatives. Not often do product satisfy so much that it really, feels better to say nothing, rather than injure the truth with pale, pale, inadequate adjectives. Ditto of course for the heart of the machine, the Rohloff hub.
Fortunately :) I did find minor quibbles with the bike. I say "fortunately" because I think it absolves me of the worry that I've lost all my objectivity - I don't have to fully feel like a drunk soccer fan having a religious experience in the arena.

One chinks in the halo was the quality of the front chainring. It just simply was not up to the same level as the rest of the bike. Somewhere in Illinois at about the two thousandth mile of its life one of the teeth chipped and broke with the forward leading edge losing about half of the material.  It happened to be just at the point where the tooth takes up the chain at the top of the power point on my right foot and with any normal push caused a very loud popping sound with each revolution. Never mind Chinese water torture - this was worse! reversing the ring and rotating the bad tooth into a different spot gave me my sanity back for the rest of the trip and then when I got home I ordered a replacement, disappointedly, from Surly. The Surly front chainring is made of steel and I think that works far better with the Thorn emphasis of ruggedness. The switch gave me the chance to ponder what really I liked in the gear ratios and I went only a bit higher with a 43 ring, the second time around. It is only a subtle difference, probably akin to losing about half a step at the lowest end. It works well though and I think the 43/17 combo is the best set for me, as someone who walks up parts of many a hill. If I were cycling in Kansas with no hills but rather a constant wind - I suspect that I may then want perhaps a 40/17? It's hard to say though because at some point one simply goes too slowly to stay upright, right?

Andre Jute

« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2012, 06:59:27 pm »
If I were cycling in Kansas with no hills but rather a constant wind - I suspect that I may then want perhaps a 40/17? It's hard to say though because at some point one simply goes too slowly to stay upright, right?

No balance worries on a tricycle! Maybe it's time for you to progress (?) to a Scootertrike. http://www.scooterbike.com/st-touring-e.html

Andre Jute

revelo

« Reply #113 on: January 09, 2013, 03:46:50 am »
Mine is 41 teeth a 17 rear cog.  I have, for the riding I've done thus far, decided that the combo is a bit low for me.  I find that even though I am now very weak that the lowest gear is so low that at a good cadence I only go about 4 to 4.5 miles an hour uphill and at the same time I can push between 2 and three miles an hour.  I like to get off the bike and push much of the time, partly because it also seems to rejuvenate me as it is using different muscles.  Now I also don't care to go too fast even when I can.  There is something I like about puttering along and I rarely peddle downhill to go faster, except (seriously) only to keep up with my daughter who seems to find "the faster the better" exhilarating.  Me ... I like to go no faster than about 25 mph so I don't have to pay too much attention, to things other than the beauty around me. 

One of these days I hope to get up enough energy to write a good in-depth (sixty page? :D ) review of some of the gear. I sure do have strong opinions of much of it.  Some things worked marvelously, far beyond expectations and other things were surprising duds and extremely frustrating. (listening by chance mr Garmin?!)

The Thorn Nomad itself, overall, was beyond my ability with superlatives. Not often do product satisfy so much that it really, feels better to say nothing, rather than injure the truth with pale, pale, inadequate adjectives. Ditto of course for the heart of the machine, the Rohloff hub.
Fortunately :) I did find minor quibbles with the bike. I say "fortunately" because I think it absolves me of the worry that I've lost all my objectivity - I don't have to fully feel like a drunk soccer fan having a religious experience in the arena.

One chinks in the halo was the quality of the front chainring. It just simply was not up to the same level as the rest of the bike. Somewhere in Illinois at about the two thousandth mile of its life one of the teeth chipped and broke with the forward leading edge losing about half of the material.  It happened to be just at the point where the tooth takes up the chain at the top of the power point on my right foot and with any normal push caused a very loud popping sound with each revolution. Never mind Chinese water torture - this was worse! reversing the ring and rotating the bad tooth into a different spot gave me my sanity back for the rest of the trip and then when I got home I ordered a replacement, disappointedly, from Surly. The Surly front chainring is made of steel and I think that works far better with the Thorn emphasis of ruggedness. The switch gave me the chance to ponder what really I liked in the gear ratios and I went only a bit higher with a 43 ring, the second time around. It is only a subtle difference, probably akin to losing about half a step at the lowest end. It works well though and I think the 43/17 combo is the best set for me, as someone who walks up parts of many a hill. If I were cycling in Kansas with no hills but rather a constant wind - I suspect that I may then want perhaps a 40/17? It's hard to say though because at some point one simply goes too slowly to stay upright, right?

I originally picked a 42/17 ratio because that best matched my old MTB and I didn't know much about the subject at the time. Also, like you, I thought that it was simpler to get off and push when I slowed down below 4mph. And it is still much simpler to push on rugged dirt roads at low speeds. But I find that I can keep pedalling at under 3mph on a smooth road and pedalling is a LOT easier for long ascents than pushing a heavily loaded bike, and I find myself encountering these long ascents fairly frequently. For example, 12 miles and 3000 feet of ascent, or 5% grade overall with stretches of 10% grade and 4+ hours of steady pedalling--a LOT easier to pedal than push. I don't mind pushing, and I better not mind since I do plenty of it on rugged roads and in deep sand, but pushing for 4+ hours uphill is a bit much.

Also, if you really don't much care about high speeds (I don't care myself), then what is the point of ratios above 80 gear inches, which is what you are getting with 41/17? As Andy Blance points out, you can always coast downhill if you run out of gears on the top side, but someday you may change your mind about pushing versus pedalling, and there is no substitute for lower gear ratios if you want to pedal but gear 1 is too difficult.

Thus I've decided to switch from 42/17 to either 36/17 or 40/19. I noticed no one has discussed that 19T sprocket made by Thorn. It is currently out of stock, whereas the Rohloff sprockets are in stock. If I'm going to switch from 42/17 to something else, I don't want to first switch to 40/19 and then have to switch again to 36/17 if Thorn decides to stop making the 19T sprocket. It appears they've already given up making the 21T sprocket, which was their previous alternative to the smaller Rohloff sprockets, so who knows what to expect with the 19T in the future. Anyone else thought about this?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #114 on: January 09, 2013, 04:05:19 am »
Anyone else thought about this?
Hi Frank!

I went from a 40x17 to a 36x17 just the other day. I detailed some of the reasons here:
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=5573.0

I decided to go with the 17T cog rather than a 19 or 21 because it is more available, and directly so from Rohloff. It is my attempt to future-proof the bike to a degree, and help ensure easier parts availability down the road. For that same reason, I mounted my original Rohloff shifter on a T-bar rather than go with the Gilles Berthoud or Co-Motion 'bar-mounted shifter (both very nice options, but less likely to find ready repair parts or replacements for in future).

The 17T has the added benefit (for me) of fitting inside a Hebie Chainglider, an option I wish to use for at least part of my riding. Here in the cooler months' generally rainy and damp Willamette Valley -- between desert tours in the Great Basin -- it would be a nice way to reduce chain maintenance. I can always remove the Chainglider and replace my Thorn bash guard for touring in talc-fine playa.

All gearing choices are compromises to a degree, but -- for me, given my preferences -- this looks to be the best combo yet in balancing usability, wear, and -- yes -- comfort. The 17T cog allows me to keep the chainring and cog as physically large as possible (given my preferred low) to reduce wear and still get my preferred range. This is a bit of an experiment for me, but compared to the consumable costs of a derailleur drivetrain (three chainrings and a cassette plus chain), even a complete chainring and cog for the Rohloff are pretty modest investments so I can afford to play a little and see which combination works best over the long run.

So, 36x17 it will be for awhile. Looking forward to the lower gearing, close to what I have used and preferred on past derailleur bikes and proven suitable for my needs.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 04:15:19 am by Danneaux »

John Saxby

« Reply #115 on: January 12, 2013, 09:05:01 pm »
Dan, at 36 x 17, have you not ventured into The Dreaded Red Zone?  I can understand your reasons for doing so, with back-country camping and all, but how do you square your change to 36 x 17 with your earlier preoccupation about the Rohloff warranty? (I too bow to the recommendations of German engineers, but I also remember the remark [attributed to Gandhi] that "Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.")

This is all very useful, both the exchange of experience with ratios, and the Hebie Chainglider conversation.  Will factor both into my choices later this year -- no doubt we'll have more on record by the autumn.

Don't know if anyone has seen Dave Conroy's blog?--he's circling the world on a Nomad with a 40x17 combination, and reckons a Chainglider would be a good upgrade...but he'd have to change his chainring to accommodate the Hebie.  Dave's blog is a good read:  http://www.tiredofit.ca/2011/03/10/thorn-nomad-mk2/  His account, along with Andy Blance's "Living with a Rohloff", were major influences on my decision to investigate the World of Rohloff.

Thanks, all, for recording & sharing what you've learned.

J.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #116 on: January 12, 2013, 10:49:58 pm »
Hi John!

You asked, very astutely...
Dan, at 36 x 17, have you not ventured into The Dreaded Red Zone?
Yes! Indeed I have...by Rohloff's old standards. Very recently, they relaxed those restrictions and 36x17 is no longer forbidden. Instead, it is one of several new lowest-low ratios/cog-'ring combos Rohloff now approve.

Because I was once where you are now in pondering the Rohloff, I'll take a bit more time with my answer in hopes it will prove helpful in reducing the Unknown.

On gearing low...and merits of same
Prior to this -- and especially during the warranty period -- I was indeed careful to stick to one of Rohloff's previously approved lowest-lows, 40x17. Sure, the Rohloff gearbox is expensive, and I wanted to keep my warranty coverage. However, there is something far beyond warranty concerns for me, and that is actual on-tour reliability. I tour alone and unsupported well out of cellphone range in temperature and geographic extremes where a failure could be the end of me. Because I viewed Rohloff's warranty recommendations as an index of reliability, I was loath to exceed them. Now they have been altered, I feel comfortable Rohloff have enough data to certify the hub's reliability at lower ratios. What was speculation is now the closest I can come to fact.

Rohloff's approval of lower ratios confirms Andre's oft-repeated mention of a generous safety margin, as it does for Andy Blance's use of low gearing. It is just nice from my perspective to get the word from On High, direct from Rohloff.

I can say that for my use and in my own experience with low-geared derailleur bikes, going to the 36x17 on my Rohloff-equipped Nomad Mk2 has been a sea-change in making the bike feel more Mine. It compares to getting the "right" handle bars for my needs and preferences. Suddenly, everything feels more natural and familiar, and I have a truly useful and distinct "high range" (quiet operation, "bright" freewheel click) and "low range" (zhoo-zhoo-zhoo noises to a greater or lesser degree when pedaling in most lower gears, but a very soft freewheel click). The high range is what I'm most apt to use on-road...37-80 gear-inches.

With my hummingbirdike 110-120 RPM cadence, I'll be switching most often between 55" direct-drive Gear 11 and 62" Gear 12 (1st overdrive). For headwinds, I'll drop down to my derailleur-familiar 42" and bend my elbows a bit more. For gales (I usually hit afternoon headwinds of 39-45mph/63-72kph in my Great Basin meanderings), I've got the 37" and riding knees-inside-elbows in my beloved into-the-wind shallow-drop/flat-back position.

For hill work and dirt going up and down pronghorn antelope and big-horn sheep trails...unpaved, dirt, rocks the size of shoeboxes and ~24% grades while loaded with 50kg of gear, then I have seven gears in my Low Range to draw upon...from a nice 33" to a near-1:1 25" all the way down to a stump-pulling 15" which isn't as low as it seems (12" is about as low as I have consistently managed with derailleurs when fully loaded on grades  24% and up). For me, the problem has not been keeping upright and making forward progress, it is that the crankarm comes 'round so fast on startup, it is hard to get cleated in before losing forward momentum. The key is to start in a higher gear then immediately drop down, as JimK has frequently suggested...it is just harder with a derailleur and easier to do so with a Rohloff.

Remember: The Rohloff is *already* in gear when you hear the click on shifting, whereas even a good der mech needs about a quarter-turn of the pedals to fully snag and engage the next gear, be it cog or chainring.

So, John, long story short: I'm still preoccupied with the Rohloff warranty, but made the jump to a previously forbidden ratio now it is Rohloff Approved™.

Whazzit like?
John...I was in very much the same position as you are when I started this journey. I had no idea, really, how the Rohloff drivetrain would work in practice, and found this Forum and its experienced members to be a tremendous resource. I can honestly say that despite all my research, careful reading, and questioning, I could not fully grasp the ehm, "Rohloff Ethos" until I got one, and it has required a period of adjustment and learning even then. I have taken another great leap forward in my "comfortableness" and familiarity with the gearbox now the gearing is set more to my liking. Having ridden so many years (35+) "with intent" on derailleur bikes, I have not yet reached that level of familiarity with the Rohloff. I expect to...it is just that not all the "features" come as second nature just yet.

That said, the Experience is remarkable, verging on the sublime at times.

The Good (from my perspective)
1) The operating costs are minimal compared to *modern* 9-sp+ derailleur systems (my old 5-, 6-, and 7-speed thick-cog stuff lasted forever), especially if you choose to keep the complete drivetrain intact and run it into the ground, then reverse cog and 'ring and fit a new chain before running that into the ground in turn. Completely opposite derailleur practice, the parts all wear-in/wear-out together if one goes this route, and the results can be astounding, as shown by Stuart's (Stutho's) experience where he enjoyed 10,000-12,000 miles on the drivetrain before reversing gears and fitting a new chain.

2) Daily maintenance is greatly reduced compared to derailleur drivetrains, a real boon to the tourist who may not have as frequent opportunities to clean the drivetrain as when it is used near home. A Hebie Chainglider would extend this benefit in most use, though the jury is still out as to its appropriateness in the talc-fine dry-lake playa and alkali dust I often encounter. I may well fit a Chainglider for all but desert use, then revert to exposed chainring/cog and bash guard for desert tours. The switch wouldn't be complicated or take much time to accomplish and would be well worth the hassle if I find it necessary. Time and experience will tell.

3) The ability to change gears while at a standstill is something I am growing to love with a loaded touring bike, but have not yet integrated as fully as I intend. The potential here is Huge, and I do wish to exploit it. It is a matter of experience, but I am already getting to the point of assessing a grade before startup, saying "Hmm...this looks like it needs a Gear 4" ...and getting it right the first time.

4) Pausing momentarily between gears is almost hardwired in me after so many years on friction-shifted der mechs, and would be habit even if the Rohloff didn't require it to whatever small degree, especially between Gears 7 and 8. I find having the Rohloff shifter on the T-bar actually helps me in this regard and I still find it "quicker" and even more convenient than downtube or bar-end derailleur shifters. Note: I always paused momentarily when index-shifting as well; old habits are hard to break.

5) With the shifter on the T-bar, I can approach it in a grip (as on straight 'bars) or from the end (as with a doorknob, using my fingertips to "spin" it). Going in from the end, I can cover as many as 7 gears at a single shift. This addressed my initial concerns about the Rohloff's gear-steps being even rather than logarithmic, as I enjoyed with derailleurs. Generally, larger percentage steps are required between low gears to feel a difference; conversely, smaller steps are needed between higher gears for the same effect. Rohloff's steps are all even, and I worried I wouldn't be able to make the "big steps" needed when up- and down-shifting in the lower gears. "Grabbing a fistful of Rohloff" and spinning through several gears in one shot addresses that concern completely for me.

5) As detailed elsewhere on this Forum, compared to my Sherpa's final gearing of 22/32/44 and 12-37 9-sp where I ended up with 13 effective speeds, the Rohloff is comparable, giving me 14 usable gears. While I always enjoyed shifting der bikes (as I do cars with manual transmissions), it is also a joy to not worry about cross-chain issues or looking back inside my right thigh to confirm what gear I'm actually in. I've always loved making gear charts and shifting by them, but to not need one with a Rohloff results in a childlike joy that is hard to describe. Cycling become more elemental. I have gone back to a gear chart with the recent change in ratios, simply 'cos it adds to my joy in riding and brings an element of the familiar into play. I can have more fun with the Rohloff 'cos I also have the chart to play with. The difference is the chart is now a fun accessory rather than an integrated and necessary part of the shifting experience.

6) The Rohloff offers direct-access, sequential shifting. The import of this term took me awhile to fully appreciate. My favorite derailleur setup has always been half-step gearing. It is simple, intuitive, the shifts are easy enough to never need a chart, and it nets the greatest number of usable combinations. However, the loss of suitable front derailleurs has killed halfstep for the masses, and it is hard to engineer a usable half-step with more than 7 cogs on the cassette (my favorite/ultimate was a 7-sp half-step on my Miyata 1000LT; I still have half-step on most of my other bikes).  In contrast, crossover gearing results in a poor number of available combinations, lots of duplicates, and a lot of cross-shifting. Rather than shifting sequentially through the entire range, most people simply treat the three chainrings as "Low", "Cruising/All-'Round" and "Downhill". I found with even my best shot at crossover gearing on Sherpa, by the time I'd cross-shifted, I'd lost enough momentum on hills to make the gear I was aiming for obsolete by the time I found it. In contrast, the Rohloff is like a sequential gearbox in a rally car -- no H- or double-H pattern, just yank and throw the lever. You don't/can't actually "skip" gears, but by the time you "let the clutch out" (stop spinning the Rohloff shifter), you're in whatever gear you've finally selected. Fair warning: This.is.addictive. A bit like steering wheel-mounted paddle-shifters that allow gear pre-selection. Something in the original experience is lost, to be replaced by something "different" and, well, fun in its own way.

The Drawbacks (for me)
There are some drawbacks, none show-stoppers for me. Chief among them is I (me, in my own experience) do find the Rohloff drivetrain to have more drag on coasting than my well-tuned derailleur setup. The difference is greatest on high-speed downhills and insignificant at touring speeds, but it is there. I think it depends on what gear one is in when coasting, but I have not finished my tests and so cannot draw any conclusions at this point. Research is ongoing to the rallying cry of "For Science!".

I wish it was as silent in all gears as my grease-injected freewheels, deliberately rigged for silent running by my preference and so I could sneak up on wildlife. I don't like the "bright-to-brilliant" freewheel clicks in the Rohloff nor the "zhoo-zhoo-zhoo" noise when pedaling in lower gears, but I am getting used to them, and they are also quietening over time with greater use, just as expected.

I do miss the solid engagement of a derailleur system, but the Rohloff gets there all the same in a "softer" way...and engages as firmly with pedaling. All of this is offset by the eerie "instant engagement" of the Rohloff. I still find myself pleasantly surprised by it. I'm expecting to wait for the gear and find I'm already *in* it. Absolutely astounding from my perspective.

The Rohloff shifter -- with the cables adjusted appropriately slack -- does not precisely indicate what gear you're in. Instead, is is approximate between gears. Gear 11 "might" be Gear 12...or really 11. Unlike derailleurs, it doesn't really "matter", but it would be nice for my more spot-on, derailleur-tuned expectations.

I wish the barrel/body/grip of the shifter were larger for better leverage and reduced shifting effort. I'm okay with it, but friends with arthritic fingers always go "Ow! Whyzit so hard to turn?" when they try spinning the shifter (I have the EX external shift-box with thumbscrew attachment, and this is said to have a bit more friction at the hub than does the Rohloff without the EX box (internal shifter with two cable quick-releases, typically routed from above).

That's about it on the demerits, none being of any real concern in my practical use.
-  -  -  -  -
Hebie Say: "38T Chaingliders are OK for 36T and 37T chainrings"
I was in communication with Hebie last week, and their representative specifically advised me...
The Chainglider is indeed a perfect solution for chain protection and certainly in combination with the Rohloff system. For gear-rings with 36T and 37T you can use the Chainglider front part for 38Teeth. ( 0350F 38 E1) . The rear part with special Rohloff fitting is: 0350R S15 E1. This rear part is usable with sprockets 15T, 16T and 17T.
...so I take this as a green-light to fit a "38T" Hebie Chainglider to my 36T Surly stainless chainring. Please note: The Thorn chainrings are too thick for clearance in the Chainglider, and will result in cosmetic damage to the ring and excess friction from scuffing between the 'ring and Chainglider. There seems to be no such issue when Surly's stainless 'rings are used.

I hope you and others find this useful; it is precisely the information I was seeking when pondering a Rohloff.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 05:57:53 am by Danneaux »

John Saxby

« Reply #117 on: January 12, 2013, 11:44:27 pm »
Thanks, Dan, that's really helpful -- didn't realize that Rohloff had eased their approved ratios a bit.

On my current touring bike, my Eclipse, I use a Deore 48-36-24 at the front, and a ditto 12 - 36 cogset, with 700c wheels and 700 x 32 tires (27.5" actual diameter). So, my gear-inch range is 18.3 [rarely used] to 110 [almost never, except unloaded on traffic-free downhills :-) ]  My base gears vary a bit with load, obviously, but are usually around 55 on level windfree tarmac -- maybe a cog lower with a full load, a cog higher without.

I'm reasonably fit at 65, and on a demanding but beautiful camping trip this past summer in the Madawaska Highlands NW of Ottawa, had to resort to my lowest of the low just once, diddling up a 14% grade for about 1.5 kms.  Still, I expect that, er, in the years to come, I'll be glad to have lower gears available. Then again, supply creates its own demand, and after hiking in the Pyrenees in 2011, I could always try some roads in those hills on a Raven Tour with a 16-inch low gear.

So, for sure the 40 x 17 would be rather lower than what I'm running now. The 38 x 17 would be lower still, and both would allow me to do most of my riding in the Rohloff's upper range (8 - 14).  A bonus for the 38 x 17 is that the Hebie Chainglider would fit as well.  I don't have your desert playa conditions to contend with, but have seen enough sand/gravel/rain to want to look seriously at the Chainglider (with the key detail on the Surly stainless chainring duly noted.)

Your summary of the benefits of the Rohloff drive train is very well detailed, and sympathetic too.

Quite looking forward to a discussion on All This with the guys at Thorn when we visit Somerset in March!

Best,

John

martinf

« Reply #118 on: January 13, 2013, 07:54:35 am »
Hebie Say: "38T Chaingliders are OK for 36T and 37T chainrings"

Good. So I can go from 38x16 to 36x17 without changing my Chainglider. But only in several years time if I wait for the current parts to wear out.

Andre Jute

« Reply #119 on: January 13, 2013, 02:11:04 pm »
Good. So I can go from 38x16 to 36x17 without changing my Chainglider. But only in several years time if I wait for the current parts to wear out.

As is my normal habit, once I have identified the very best component, I bought two Surly 38T chainrings, one to use and one to keep as a spare, and the most beautiful Sugino Cospea 110mm BCD cranks to go with it. At the present mileage, the first chainring will wear out approximately 2023, and the second one in... duh... Even at my more normal mileages, in an abnormally long run of abnormally fine weather such as we enjoyed in the noughties (bring back Global Warming!), the whole point of the stainless steel chainring is that it lasts forever, that it lasts so long one can with confidence conduct experiments like my current zero-extra-lube chain experiment.

And I'd have to buy a new crankset too, as Surly doesn't make the 36T in 110mm diameter fitting. There's nothing at a reasonable price as beautiful as the Cospea in 104mm. (The Deore that Dan and many others have isn't positively beautiful, it is merely negatively not as brutishly clunky as the rest. Sorry, folks, but I'm an artist, and a designer besides, and I'm sensitive — heh-heh — to the shape and proportion of things I use.)

Just as well then I worked out that at present I don't need the extra low range, because I'm doing fine on 38x16, which gives a good, wide, fast (-ish, enough if you're prepared to coast downhill) range on my 60x622 Big Apples, with enough low range to make it up all my hills. (I got caught out twice in the last year and had to push, and one of those occasions was up the longest, steepest hill in West Cork, where I don't ride except when accompanied by my physician -- next time I won't be caught out talking at the bottom of the hill and will make it to or near the top...)

I have my rationalization firmly in place!

Andre Jute