Author Topic: Bicycle Carrying Strap To Carry Fully Loaded Bike  (Read 4867 times)

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
Bicycle Carrying Strap To Carry Fully Loaded Bike
« on: October 16, 2012, 08:00:14 pm »
I've noticed with all the rail travel I have been on with the bike lately, that flights of stairs are a real pain in the butt.
I can just about carry my bike when it's fully loaded but when you throw steep steps in to the mix especially downwards I can't seem to get a good grip in the right place.
I then thought about a strap that could attach to somewhere front and back which I could hang over my shoulder. This would give me enough height when going down steps.
Has anyone tried this? I was thinking of using the front and rear racks as the strap hanging points. Would these take the weight OK?
Bike plus luggage will be about 60kg. Your thoughts or alternatives?
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy

Andybg

Re: Bicycle Carrying Strap To Carry Fully Loaded Bike
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 08:26:21 pm »
It used to be the norm to carry the bike on the shoulder under the top bar (prefferably with a frame bag to give some padding) but I am not sure how viable this would be with both a compact frame and also the weight of the luggage.

The other fixing point that I can think of is the saddle and handlebars for a strap.

I would imagine that the pannier racks would be suitably strong enough but just not sure how stable or not it would make the load.

I will have a play tomorrow with my own bike and see if I can come up with any other helpfull suggestions.

Andy

rualexander

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 08:40:00 pm »
Easiest way to carry a fully panniered bike is to grab the seat tube down near the bottom end and lift. I think a strap would be more awkward.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 09:01:09 pm »
Here's whatcha need, Richie, and from my neck of the woods, too. It just isn't quite...here yet. Soon, but not today:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/walnutstudiolo/bicycle-frame-handle

Scratch that -- it is here...today: http://walnutstudiolo.com/products/bicycle-frame-handle

Costya USD$38 plus shipping.  Goodway to oil your pants if you lift from the wrong side...

If 't'were me, I'd think about a folded-over loop of 3/4" nylon webbing with a hole heat-seared through it, captured to the frame by a couple water bolts. Fold the webbing through the female half of a Fastex buckle. Thread a length of the same webbing through the tabler buckle on the male half of the Faxtex, and there's your quick-detachable commuter's train strap.

All the best,

Dan. (Royalty checks may be sent to me at...)

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 09:02:34 pm »
Because of thewater bottle cage its hard to get the grip withFULL weight. No problems with 20kg or so.

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 09:17:37 pm »
Interesting suggestions. The straps at the bottom of the bike especially.
I shall get out into the garage tomorrow and have a play around. I need to see what it is that's causing the problem. Whilst struggling to get on the train my thoughts are not focused on the problem. Just the solution :)
My reasoning behind the strap over the shoulder is that I can balance the weight at each end easier when having to tilt
the bike forward or backwards to use steep stairs and keep both hands kind of usuable.
Experiments begin tomorrow:)

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 11:05:32 am »
I knew their was a reason for not hoisting the top tube onto my shoulder. The brake cable is routed under there. I tried it with no luggage and the pain was unbearable!
My rack pack strap seems to be ideal. I've not managed to try it on steps yet.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 05:13:06 pm »
...my shoulder. The brake cable is routed under there. I tried it with no luggage and the pain was unbearable!
...and if you manage to get a cable guide, the pain is even beyond that! Never to be risked again, that's for sure.

Richie, have you thought about lifting the bike by a rear rack crossmember? When I ran a Surly Nice Rack (Rear), the closed "return" at the front did yeoman service as a lift point. I checked all the forces, and on that rack, it did no harm. The Thorn rear rack doesn't lend itself to such use quite so well. Does the rack-pack secure to the rack with buckles and webbing? Mine uses velcro, and if I tried lifting by it -- "Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip! Plop! Oh.  :o

Here are some possibilities, as well:
Etsy Bike Portage Strap
http://www.etsy.com/listing/57492833/bike-portage-strap

These used to be common -- frame-corner bags as shoulder-carry pads:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg63jqYqNMg

JandD make one currently available here, the aptly named "Sling and Pack":
http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FSNP

Methinks all trains should have ramps and the world should be cycle-centric, but I'm a voice in the wilderness on this one.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 05:15:14 pm by Danneaux »

Andybg

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 05:26:54 pm »
I had a play around with my bike with full panniers on and managed to find a comfortable way to carry it with a strap from the seat tube to the head tube just underneath the stem. It allowed me to move the position on my shoulder to balance the bike and then use my right hand to stabalise the bike and the handlebars. The good thing was I could ajust the strap to carry the bike various heights so would be suitable for stairs and trains etc.

The frame bag is what I used in the day for cyclocross and it worked great on a 10kg bike but it would be one heck of a lift with full touring kit.

Cheeers

Andy

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 05:47:23 pm »
Just from watching the video I'm thinking the same as you Andy. Although an excellent idea suggested by quite a few I've mentioned the problem to. Cyclocross did keep getting mentioned. My weekend is now taken up with saying goodbye to people. Hopefully the weather will clear up Monday and I can go test some steps.
Once again thanks for all the wonderful suggestions.