Author Topic: Scott SUB 10 belt drive  (Read 19611 times)

JWestland

Re: Scott SUB 10 belt drive
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 10:47:23 am »
4K bike with £4 saddle: NO GO
£4 bike with 4K saddle: YES PLEASE

;D
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

Lisa

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 10:16:13 am »
Hi

I have a Scott Sub 10 - 2013 model - bright, bright green.  Purchased it in November 2012. Love the belt drive.  So smooth, no problem changing gear.  Quiet and easy to ride.  I get to work and I feel like I have not ridden at all.  Great bike.  Would not look at another bike again!

JWestland

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 11:20:42 am »
Welcome to the forum! :)

CTC reviewed a belt drive bike and they liked it, but moaned about it maybe being less efficient that derailleurs/chain. But did recommend for city driving no doubt.

(well this calls for a scientific test...two bikes all the same but test it with a chain then test it with a belt ;) )

jags

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 02:28:06 pm »
looking at a belt drive trek in local bike shop  really nice .

JWestland

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 02:41:08 pm »
They sound handy but they're rather expensive ATM.

Saves having to buy a new chain once a year/every two years (salt kills them badly even with lots of oiling) but that's £10 a year, takes a loooooooooooooong time before you recoup that money compared to belt bike prices atm.

energyman

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 05:06:43 pm »
Dan did a goodly piece on Belt Drives on January 5th with a link to a Bike Radar efficiency test.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/chain-or-belt-drive-which-is-faster-36074/

I like mine !  Just the naff name.

Changed the web link as posted the wrong one - sorry.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 04:29:08 pm by energyman »

Commuterjohn

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2013, 08:29:31 pm »
Hi, I bought the belt drive sub 10 aboiut 2 weeks ago
The bike is literally used 24/7 with my job.
I had a suspension fork and dynohub fitted so the bike is always ready and a smoother ride on the terrible street's we now have to ride on.
This sub supercedes my last sub 10 which performed great but did in my opinion miss a granny gear.
The new sub with its belt drive gives me the granny gear I was missing at the expense of the not so often used high gear.
The belt drive itself is a dream,  so quiet I have to ring my bell more often on shared paths - honestly!
All the talk of belts slipping and clogging just doesn't happen. I have been out in the heaviest rain this last few days and through parkland paths both made up and dirt with no problems at all.
With regards to effort verus a chain, well the belt drive is a stiffer drive if turning the pedals back by hand but not noticeable when riding.
If you are an engineer in a lab I am sure you may well be able to come up with a figure that says a chain is better but in reality we are out in the wind climbing hills and carrying loads so it does not count as far as I am concerned.
Sub 10 with its belt drive 10 out of 10 for me.

il padrone

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2013, 11:33:54 pm »
My next upgrade wih my Thorn is going to be ftting a new chaindrive with Surly SS ring and Hebie Chainglider. I am expecting improvements in chain cleanliness and life. I really can't see that much of an advantage in a belt-drive when compared to this, just a very large added cost for a special bike frame and high change-over cost for the belt. The reasons for that cost just don't seem to be there. Silent operation? Nup, not worth the cost. Unbreakable? Don't think so and I don't break chains.

Commuterjohn

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2013, 11:56:14 am »
Hi, Yes, unless you are planning on changing bikes the cost of achieving belt drive on an existing frame cant be reclaimed.
But if you are out for a new bike then this has a lot going for it.
I have been riding daily now for all of 40 years and tried a lot lof bikes out in that time with a lot of frame types and chain drives and have only snapped 2 chains.
I was very cautious about belt drive myself having spent nearly a year looking into it. When I read about the guy who rode around the world on a belt drive bike and only changed the belt once I thought thats a fair trial for it.
So my own doubts were lessened when the head mechanic and assistant mechanic both individualy said in the bike shop on picking up the bike what a beautiful bike to ride it was,  amongst the top ones and yes that was after I had paid my money!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2013, 05:11:53 pm »
Hi John!

Welcome to the Thorn Cycling Forum!

Congratulations on your new bicycle; nothing like a new bike, and this is a Lovely!

Thanks also for your impressions of how belt drive works for you in daily use. Though not currently used by Thorn, it is always interesting to hear how "the latest" operates in practice, and we're seeing more belts in use today than ever before. Locally, Co-Motion is employing them as tandem timing chains, which can be a pretty severe duty, and they've reported no problems.

I think for my use in sometimes largely off-road expeditions, a belt might not fare so well; a few unnoticed pencil-sized twigs flipped into my Rohloff drivetrain and were neatly cut in two by the chain rear sprocket with no harm on my last test-tour. However, like most things it is probably horses for courses, and the belt surely seems to be working ideally for your use. A belt-drive bike passed me on the bike path yesterday, and I was astounded at how silent it was. Really, the only noise was a quiet hissing from the tires and that was all. I asked the owner about the trouser clip she was wearing, and she replied it was partly out of habit and partly because she had found dirt could accumulate on the belt sides in winter months and she didn't want to risk soiling her light-colored trousers now it was summer. Hers was a commuter bike with front basket, upright position, mudguards, battery lights, and matching floral-pattern saddle cover and rear panniers. The panniers obscured her rear hub, but I think it was likely an Alfine. She said she rode this more than her previous bike simply because it ran cleaner and required less of what she called "nuisance maintenance" (oiling the chain). She's found something that makes her riding more likely than before, not a bad thing.

Andre's not alone in his goal of a maintenance-free bicycle, something that can pay dividends for all of us, no matter how we get there!

Best,

Dan. (...who wants a 36T Hebie Chainglider more than ever)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 05:14:33 pm by Danneaux »

in4

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2013, 06:23:23 pm »
I think I recall Sarah Outen using a Santos Belt drive on her ride to Japan from UK. I don't recall her mentioning any problems so, considering the nature of such a long ride that perhaps is testimony to the longevity and reliability of belt drives. When you consider that Harley Davidson have been using belts for years perhaps its we cyclists who are late to the party.

Sarah is here: http://www.sarahouten.com/

« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 10:23:29 am by in4 »

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2013, 12:21:36 pm »
I think I recall Sarah Outen using a Santos Belt drive on her ride to Japan from UK. I don't recall her mentioning any problems so, considering the nature of such a long ride that perhaps is testimony to the longevity and reliability of belt drives. When you consider that Harley Davidson have been using belts for years perhaps its we cyclists who are late to the party.

Sarah is here: http://www.sarahouten.com/

Hi I have over the years replaced a number of Harley Davidson drive Belts! why ???
Because in New Zealand we have  Tar chip roads and the chip's put a hole thought the belt (when the chip get into the middle of sprockets/belt  :o all is OK because  Harley Davidson (boat anchor's) come with 200,000km replacement  :P

So do I think a Belt dive is a good idea  ??? Yes and No..
Yes for around town and from Singlespeed Racing! But No for around the World cycle touring ??? Why because on Motorcycles (Harley Davidson are not the only ones to use a Belt drive) with Belt Drives they have more bearings to take the higher loading from having to run with a high belt tension.

I'll stick to a good singlespeed chain and lube and clean it.

Happy Riding  :-*

Pete

The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ