Author Topic: Restoration Project Frame  (Read 2640 times)

Cally Albion

Restoration Project Frame
« on: June 24, 2012, 05:27:49 pm »
Hi

I'm looking for an old / unloved frame for my first build - any condition

I'm aiming to join a small group of friends for a UK south coast expedition in late October and would dearly love to build up my own beast for the journey

Great Thorn bikes Sherpa, RST - I'm (slowly) saving up for one, but funds won't be swollen enough in time for the ride

If anybody has any brand old tourer / audax hogging a garage would love to hear from you

I'm not very tall (5' 6") and like to be able to touch the tarmac when I stop - smaller frames are best

Happy to agree a price and I can collect - I live in Kennington, London

jags

Re: Restoration Project Frame
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 07:42:45 pm »
i'm 5.6 and selling my top of the range sherpa.  ;)
http://z10.invisionfree.com/Travelling_Light/index.php?showtopic=884&st=0&#last

there you go take a good look it could be yours  ;)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 08:36:30 pm by jags »

JWestland

Re: Restoration Project Frame
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 05:39:18 pm »
E-bay/Gumtree is an option, search Thorn bikes often. I have seen some frames there. Or, if really really stuck, Dawes Galaxy or Ridgeback Explorer if you can't find a Thorn anywhere. Again harder to get smaller frames.

SJS also sells frames, and sometimes sells second hand frames at a very good price. (with build up I thought you mean build the whole bike...gumtree/e-bay are your friends for second hand parts such as gearing, stems, shifters, seat posts etc, chainreaction/wiggle etc for things like saddles)

I found smaller frames are harder to get second hand, 5.5" myself, my XTC is a tad long with 55 cm effective top tube length. With a shorter stem for drop bars (what I did) or going to straight bars/sitting more upright (my straight bar bikes all 54 cm top tube) you can work it.

So, a too long bike can be modified by changing bars if you have to, but then you also need shifters etc...if in a rush, a hybrid commuter, mountainbike etc. can do the job unless you must have low rider bosses OR the ride specifies what bike to use.

Happy hunting!
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)