Author Topic: Problem adjusting headset!  (Read 2807 times)

Jonathan Hanson

Problem adjusting headset!
« on: July 06, 2012, 12:36:18 am »
Hello everyone,

I'm finally assembling a Thorn Nomad frame I got some years ago. It has the Orbit headset. However, I can't seem to get it adjusted. After loosening the stem and brake hanger bolts, If I tighten the top bolt to get all the slack out, the fork is very hard to turn. Even with a little slack there is still noticeable resistance. If I back off enough so that the fork turns like it should, there's a lot of slack in the system. What am I doing wrong? Any assistance would be appreciated. Photos below. The fork tube is trimmed off just below the top of the top spacer.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Problem adjusting headset!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 01:50:34 am »
Hi Jonathan!

I'm sorry you're having trouble with your headset; these things can surely be frustrating, but I think we can get you started on track to resolving your problem.  Looking at the photos of the headset, steerer, and stem in your beautiful Nomad, I have some observations...

1) The gap between the steerer and top of the spacer looks good to me.

2) The star-fangled nut looks a little high in the steerer. Did you set it to standard depth? It should be right around 15mm, according to the Park Tools site.

3) I suspect your stiffness problem is due to either...
a) the upper split centering cone being inverted or askew
...or...
b) the star-fangled nut isn't quite straight, causing binding.
...or...more likely...
c) the lower cup seal being dislodged and caught between the crown race and the cup/bearing. <== This is a known problem on an otherwise stellar headset, and the lower seal has been known to come loose even on a properly adjusted, fully installed headset. It doesn't take much for it to become dislodged and the symptoms are just as you describe.
...there is one last thing I see that could be a problem...
d) Are you doing the adjustment with the cable hanger loose *and* no tension on the brake cable? With a threadless headset, your clamp-type cable hanger will actually set and retain the tension before the stem and top-cap can do their job _if_ it is already tight. Make sure everything is loose first, then set the tension with the top cap, and *either* clamp the stem in place first *or* clamp the cable hanger first. Then go back and tighten the other.  The key is, there must be nothing that can affect tension on the headset bearings until they are locked in place.

For reference, here is an assembly diagram, so you can check that everything is where it should be and oriented correctly. It is amazingly easy to get it wrong, so it's worth a check even if everything seemed right on assembly:
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/5164/fsaorbitxliidiagram.jpg

A related Forum thread is here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=2414.0

I hope this will help. If it doesn't, give a shout and we'll try again. By the way, it will help if you can recruit someone to hold the bike while you're dealing with the headset adjustment.

Oh! One last thing...though it is not required, FSA say waterproofness can be enhanced by a swipe of grease on the outside of the bearings where they rotate (but still inside the press-in lower seal). If you have to disassemble the works, now would be a timely juncture to add that little extra protection against water and contaminants.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 04:13:53 pm by Danneaux »

Jonathan Hanson

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 02:21:49 pm »
Dan, thank you for that detailed reply! I will go through each step and see what happens. Report later . . .

il padrone

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 02:47:30 pm »
The easiest way to cause a binding bearing like you have........ one of the cartridge bearings the wrong way around  :-*. Worth doing the 'duffus' check  ;)