Author Topic: Who is that cyclist you're passing on the road?  (Read 1973 times)

Andre Jute

Who is that cyclist you're passing on the road?
« on: July 01, 2012, 11:08:41 pm »
Jobst Brandt used to say that clean water was a perfectly good lubricant for a bicycle chain. Of course, even Jobst couldn't stop the rain— er— stopping. Then the chain would squeak mightily.

Jobst would also stop at a service station and beg a little of the oil drained at an oil change on a car. Or just pick up the "empty" can and dribble a few remaining drops onto his bike's chain. It doesn't take much.

These stories always made me wonder whether the people giving the lanky, taciturn cyclist a thimbleful of oil for his chain knew they we're touching the hand of a demigod among engineers...

Andre Jute
Coming up for 1000km on the factory lube, no extra oil

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Who is that cyclist you're passing on the road?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 01:32:55 am »
These stories always made me wonder whether the people giving the lanky, taciturn cyclist a thimbleful of oil for his chain knew they we're touching the hand of a demigod among engineers...

That is a wonderful image! I am just reading Tolkien and the Great War by John Garth. Makes me wonder what kind of vast tale could grow out of such a seed, the wandering engineer!

il padrone

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 03:27:26 am »
Sheldon Brown falls into the same league

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 03:36:28 am »
I especially loved Sheldon's April Fool's Day costumes and inventions. Those were priceless!

As for Jobst...I doubt the service stations ever knew of him and his talents; more's the pity!

Best,

Dan.