Author Topic: Cycling through the Centre of Australia  (Read 11088 times)

il padrone

Re: Cycling through the Centre of Australia
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2012, 04:32:36 am »
There is an easy way to get around these paywalls - copy the article title into Google and hey presto, up it comes! But shhhh, don't tell the media barons.

il padrone

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2012, 04:52:16 am »
Where he has been for the past month, on tracks in the Northern Territory and Queensland, he sees an average of about two cars or two trucks a day.

"I wash my hands in the dirt, I can smell rain well before I can see it or feel it when I'm out here," he said.

Epic cycle adventurer!

in4

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2012, 10:48:29 am »
Coincidentally I've just returned from a 'bit of a jolly' in the Top End. I managed to try the new Darwin - Rural cycle track that follows the path of the old north australian railway. It is a joy to ride and it winds its way through bits of bush too so you are likely to encounter all sorts:seriously fit squaddies from a nearby barracks, lizards, mozzies and local residents, how shall we say, 'in an advanced state of refreshment'

The NT is harsh place and cycling there requires access to copious amounts of water. You also need to cover up well from the harsh sun and high UV levels. Even with sealed roads it is a tough ride, on  dirt roads it would be a sure test of intestinal fortitude and personal resolve.

I have mapped out a future ride in my minds eye that might be of interest to others and consists of a ride into Litchfield Park to visit the many swimming, watering holes that pepper the area. The presence of so much water makes a quite testing trip very doable. Combine that with good camping, no crocs and the sheer beauty of the area its a very attractive proposition. Only if you can do heat and harsh though!

Here's link: http://en.travelnt.com/explore/darwin/litchfield-national-park.aspx

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2012, 05:00:23 pm »
I have mapped out a future ride in my minds eye that might be of interest to others...
Oh, yes indeed!
Only if you can do heat and harsh though!
Gettin' ready! I knew there was a reson why I do desert touring here...

So glad you had a chance to see a bit of the continent, Ian. Your links sent me scurrying, and I'm looking at those maps with an acquisitive eye to the future myself, wishing I could add the experiences in them soonest!

Best,

Dan.

rualexander

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2012, 09:04:13 pm »
Back in 1993, I cycled from Townsville to Darwin, took me five weeks!
I was meant to cycle from Melbourne to Darwin but had knee trouble and had to take a break for a month when I got to Sydney, then took the train north from there up to Cairns as I got my knee back in working order.
Great experience out on the road in the outback though and fantastic sleeping out under the stars.
I never found the road trains a problem, you could hear them coming for a mile or two away and had plenty chance to pull over til they were past. At that time I think they were limited to three trailers, in Queensland and the Northern Territory anyway.
I had to carry water for about two days between roadhouses, which was about 12 litres.

triaesthete

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2012, 09:08:24 pm »
Hi Pete
looking at this thread and the links, I can see why you prefer a solidly built bike with bullet proof rims!

In this link Frank van Rijn has an interesting anecdote about near death mishap in Padrone/Danneaux type hostile country. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDHRwzMbcuI&feature=channel&list=UL
Interesting chap.
Ian

il padrone

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2012, 02:34:35 am »
Our planned route cycling through the Red Centre - 1600kms and departure is now just 4 weeks away  :). We fly to Alice Springs (and here's hoping my Extrawheel will pack in the box with the bike) then head out to the Western MacDonnells, Mereenie Loop Road, Kings Canyon, Uluru then across to the Stuart Hwy, Finke and Old Andado Station to return via the western edges of the Simpson Desert.

Looking forward to the adventure.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 03:06:20 am by il padrone »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2012, 02:44:25 am »
Looking forward to the adventure.
Oh, Boy! And so are we, Pete! Please take lots of photos to show us upon your return.

Any chance we coud see a packing list? Particularly interested in how much food and water you'll carry and where/how.

'Sure do wish you all the best, Pete, hoping it will be a grand time full of fun adventure with a safe return. Do take care!

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 03:01:54 am by Danneaux »

il padrone

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2012, 01:49:09 am »
Heading off to 'The Alice' in just 6 days now  ;D

Here is some nicely put together footage of one guy's journey by recumbent trike, across Australia from Sydney to Perth. The scenes, terrain and wildlife are classic Aussie touring.

Oh, yeah Dan... packing list! Well I do have one that is pretty comprehensive and used universally.

Tools
    6” shifting spanner
    pliers
    2 tyre levers
    Topeak Alien multi-tool
    8mm spanner
    chain tool
    6mm allen key
    spoke key
    cassette remover
    screw driver (dual head)
    cleaning brush
    puncture repair kit
    tyre boot

Spares
    gear & brake cables
    spokes (inside handlebar)
    headlight bulb
    brake pads
    adhesive tape
    zip ties (asstd. sizes)
    baling wire
    hose clamp
    steel rod (5 x 110mm)
    assorted nuts & bolts
    2 spare tubes
    spare tyre
    grease tub
    chain lube

Camping & Cooking
    tent
    groundsheet
    extra rain fly
    Exped Synmat
    candle lantern
    camp stool
    stove & fuel
    cooking set (w/pot grip, matches, lighter, dishwashing liquid)
    mess kit
    serrated knife
    cutting board
    wooden spoon
    water purification tablets
    Ortlieb collapsible bucket
    6L water bag
    sleeping bag
    silk sleeping sheet

Clothes - cycling
    T-shirts x 3
    cycling jersey
    knicks x 2
    Juggernauts shorts
    lycra tights
    thermal underwear
    socks x 4
    cycling jacket
    fleece top
    Showerspass rain jacket
    Netti overpants
    cycling shoes
    cycling mitts

Clothes - casual
    shirt
    jeans/travel pants
    sandals/street shoes
    sun hat

Personal toiletries
    toothbrush   )
    toothpaste   )
    shaver    )
     soap      ) all in kit bag
    shampoo   )
    pocket knife)
    ear plugs   )
    bath plug   )

travel towel
    first-aid kit
    small roll toilet paper
    folding trowel

Food storage
    assorted plastic food jars
    snap-lock bags
    insulated lunch pack

Extra items
    Ipad and charger
    Go Pro Hero
    Powermonkey Extreme cache battery
    Garmin eTrex Vista Hcx GPS
    Various chargers and leads
    LED head torch
    digital camera
    fly net
    thermometer (clipped outside handlebar bag)
    compass
    maps & map pocket
    ocky straps
    pens
    mp3 player
    book to read
    cycle bidons
    bike computer
    1.5L water bottle
    stuff sacks
    sunglasses
    UV blockout
    RID insect spray
    spare batteries
    pegless clothesline

Winter Gear
(Most of this will not be taken, just maybe the skull cap)
    Super-roubbaix skull cap
    Polarfleece jacket
    thermal gloves
    waterproof ski gloves
    Kinetix longs
    overboots

Lots of little bits and pieces that make it look a lot more bulk than it is. Food is another issue altogether. We need to keep the weight down on the air flight so will be buying all in Alice Springs for the next 7-8 days. We'll be pretty dependent on what's available up there - it is a big place with supermarkets etc, but funny things happen in the outback towns, eg. on the Mawson Trail the wholemeal bread disappeared around Quorn in the SA Mid-north, so it was the 'white death' after that. After Leigh Creek we could get no more breakfast muesli, so we did porridge from then on. After our first 8 days out of Alice we will be buying food from resort shops at Kings Canyon and Uluru, from highway roadhouse stores, and from a couple of very small township stores. The range is going to be severely restricted I'd expect, and the prices pretty high  :( :-\

For water we are both carrying a couple of 750ml bidons, a 1.5L bottle and two 10L water bladders. 23L each. This should be enough for us to get by without any water for two nights/three days, on past experience, as long as it doesn't get too hot in the day - currently 25-30 degrees C in Alice. We will only use the full capacity for two sections of 3 days each. There are sufficient roadhouses and also some bores that we can get water on most days, and apparently in the NT there are roadside water tanks provided at roadside rest areas... like this:

« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 03:41:47 am by il padrone »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2012, 04:27:13 am »
Oh boy, Pete <Dan rubbing hands in glee> just six more days till your departure! This is really exciting, and I wish you all the best, with fun times and a safe return.

Pete, you've really outdone yourself in providing that packing list for us to see -- well done!  It looks very reasonable to me, with everything you need and nothing you don't, and therefore about as light as you'd want to go, given the conditions, terrain, and climate. You'll be "away" for some time, and so it is natural you'd need to beef up your stores of food and water.

I'm especially interested in the water end of things as well as the food. Once again, for the conditions and weather, our experiences mirror each other. I'd say you're about spot-on with the water, and maybe (as you say) "...as long as it doesn't get too hot in the day". The weather in Alice sounds pretty encouraging at this point; I hope it continues at that level and no hotter for you.

Pete, I've read some of the water available can be sort of salty-tasting and not always free in roadside cafes and such (bottled water sounded expensive in the last account I read). Can you do what I've done and take bottle into the restrooms and dip fresh water out of the toilet tank? On a trip I took several years ago, I found to my dismay that my 1l water bottles couldn't be filled from the sink! They were too tall. Ever since, I've packed a flexible silicone measuring cup to "dip" water from shallow sources and hen transfer it to the bottles. Works a treat.

Once again, I surely thank you for so generously sharing your photos and others that show the magnificent areas where you'll be touring and have gone on past tours. I think the Australian Outback must surely be one of the most beautiful places on earth, and there is so much variety -- truly exotic compared to what I'm used to. You're a talented photographer, and your scenes always convey a sense of immediacy, as if I were along on the trip and looking through a little window to join you and your companions in the moment. I'm really looking forward to seeing more upon your safe return. Will you be posting them on BNA as well, or on a Flickr or Picasa/Google site?

Boy, that packing list is gold, Pete, and very much appreciated. Please do take care. Will you have cell-phone coverage for at least part of the way? Hoping you can stay in touch with loved ones from time to time.

All the best and godspeed,

Dan.

triaesthete

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2013, 09:50:48 pm »

More on Aussie hard riders back in the day.

http://veloaficionado.com/australias-bicycle-riding-shearers-of-the-early-twentieth-century/

Early adopters of the frame bag amongst other things.

The link came from this weeks CTC Cycle clips.

Enjoy
Ian

Andre Jute

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2013, 03:02:08 pm »

I keep coming back to this photograph. Really evocative.

Andre Jute

ianshearin

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2013, 06:49:04 pm »
What a great trip coming up Pete...
And thanks for that list, really useful for people like me with no experience of touring.

Have a great time Pete
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

il padrone

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2013, 12:25:43 pm »
Ian, this is a resurrected thread. We did the Red Centre Tour last September. Since then I've been over to Europe as well and spent 3 months touring Italy (Sicily, Sardinia, Tuscany) and Corsica  ;)

Central Australia photos are here

ianshearin

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2013, 01:21:52 pm »
Oops im a bit behind the times ...

Great photos  :)
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'