Author Topic: Cycling psychology: is there a cyclist's heirarchy of needs?  (Read 14543 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Cycling psychology: is there a cyclist's heirarchy of needs?
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2012, 03:50:34 pm »
I only wish I could cycle in San Francisco in the summer. All those girls. But— All those hills, too.
Ah, yes, Andre but bring a sweater and a rain jacket. Mark Twain (never) said, "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco," and it's true, even if he didn't say it! ( http://www.snopes.com/quotes/twain.asp ). Nearby Palo Alto, Atherton, and Mill City have some great weather, and there's always the hills and trails of the Marin Peninsula.

In addition to its other virtues, San Francisco is very near El Cerrito (East Bay, just north of Berkeley), home of CycleMonkey, Rohloff's authorized North American service center and distributor. Lots to see there....  ;)

All the above are very high on Maslow's needs hierarchy for me! Now...how to actualize?

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 05:57:33 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2012, 05:55:31 pm »
Andre are you kidding what about Cork city.
Andre i meant to ask before buy any chance of a few close up photos of your bike ;)

triaesthete

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2012, 09:13:14 pm »
Wow.
Hats off to Chen Guanming. A short video from the BBC here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18984651

He has a different take on bike camping. Rickshaw campervans could be the next big thing. One for Jags methinks.

Ian

jags

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2012, 09:24:30 pm »
hah i seen Ian way out of my league ,i'm try to go the lightweight route  ;D ;D
fair play to him though he's a tough boy. ;)

Andre Jute

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2012, 09:25:08 pm »
Andre are you kidding what about Cork city.
Andre i meant to ask before buy any chance of a few close up photos of your bike ;)

I don't cycle in Cork city, Jags. It's such a twee place, I walk everywhere I want to go, usually from bike shop to bike shop, with stops in between for tool shops. Now you know my dark secret: I'm a tool fondler.

Some large photos of my bike, if you mean the Utopia Kranich, are in http://coolmainpress.com/AndreJute'sUtopiaKranich.pdf -- "Be warned! If you are easily overcome with bicycle lust, this innocuous booklet will ruin your peace of mind." If you mean one of my other bikes, try http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLING.html

Andre Jute

triaesthete

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2012, 09:30:08 pm »
Which does Chen need most, an olympic ticket or a rohloff  to get him back over the Himalaya?

What's the betting that we see a Boris and Chen (geddit) doubleact on our screens soon? 

I'm sure Dan will already have made a Rickshaw RV  ;D

Ian

jags

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2012, 10:18:58 pm »
I don't cycle in Cork city, Jags. It's such a twee place, I walk everywhere I want to go, usually from bike shop to bike shop, with stops in between for tool shops. Now you know my dark secret: I'm a tool fondler.

Some large photos of my bike, if you mean the Utopia Kranich, are in http://coolmainpress.com/AndreJute'sUtopiaKranich.pdf -- "Be warned! If you are easily overcome with bicycle lust, this innocuous booklet will ruin your peace of mind." If you mean one of my other bikes, try http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLING.html

Andre Jute
Thanks Andre yip  sure is a class act ,thers a lot going on with that bike everywhere you look thers some wee gem to be seen.love to take it for a spin.btw how come you haven't a nice set of slicks on there Grand Bios would sit well on those lovely wheels. ;)

Andre Jute

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2012, 11:55:06 pm »
Thanks Andre yip  sure is a class act ,thers a lot going on with that bike everywhere you look thers some wee gem to be seen.love to take it for a spin.btw how come you haven't a nice set of slicks on there Grand Bios would sit well on those lovely wheels. ;)

It is, as you say, a very pleasing bike to look at. One important thing to me about anything I own is that there must be no rough edges; my hands are soft from a lifetime of operating a keyboard, and any implement has to cut me only once for me to throw it out. (A poor bike leaves its mark on your hands; a good bike doesn't.) It's great to ride as well, very smooth, with a feeling of ineffable power. If you're in my part of the country, let me know well in advance (I have all kinds of wretched medical schedules) and perhaps we can take a ride.

If they ever make those Grand Bois in 60x622, with foolproof puncture protection, and a better ride than my favourite Schwalbe Big Apple Liteskins, and preferably lighter too, I shall definitely consider them. But I'm not holding my breath; I've already looked into their Pasela mass-produced cousins and decided that for my purposes Schwalbe makes superior tyres. I have laid in enough of the Liteskins to see me out. They're actually the biggest marvel on the bike; it was designed from the ground up around the Big Apples. (In that sense, the profile of a vintage bike is so much smoke... To their credit, Utopia don't try to pretend it is a nostalgic recreation.)

Andre Jute

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2012, 12:01:59 am »
...anything I own is that there must be no rough edges; my hands are soft from a lifetime of operating a keyboard...
Hmm. Soft hands with a very keen -- razor sharp -- mind.

And a very hard worker.

Best,

Dan. (who calls 'em as he sees 'em)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 12:05:14 am by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2012, 12:51:55 am »
 ;D ;D i'm the opposite of Andre  hard hands soft brain  ;D

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2012, 12:53:38 am »
i'm the opposite of Andre  hard hands soft brain
:P Bah. Anything but!

(Ian, I'll preface my following comments by saying I hope they will be within the pervue of your opening call for responses, re: the hierarchical needs of cyclists)

Looking at my stable of bikes, I realize by ownership I must weigh security high among my needs to be satisfied -- (except for Sherpa) all my bikes are old! I go about 20 years between acquisitions! If one measure of security is stability, I'm there, Man!

I court my bicycles before purchase by doing careful research. I date a few by looking in showrooms, comparing catalog specs, and going back a few times for one more look-see. Then...I commit. And, once committed, I am loyal and faithful.  The 1977 Nishiki (my first "real" road bike) is still in the family -- I sold it to my father who in turn could not bear to sell it on (this mechanical sentimentality may be a family trait). I bought the 1970 Raleigh Gran Sports used 27 years ago -- outdoors and in a rainstorm -- at the end of a 63-hour stretch of deadline-induced wakefulness when all common sense had abandoned me. When the sun came out, I found the wheels had been laced and tensioned to a high standard for al dente pasta and all the bearings were so rough they could double as rock polishers. Of course, that meant I had to restore it rather than sell it on (commitment, remember?) and then when I found the original plastic Simplex derailleurs were junk, it was reborn with all-early '80s Japanese road components and a set of gorgeously drilled Stronglight 99 bis chainrings. There's the 1971 Windsor Professional (also used, and at USD$20, too hard to pass up even though it sat through two winters' snows in the high Cascades when it failed to sell in the owner's garage sale), the 28- and 31 year-old Centurions, and the two "new" bikes -- the 1989 tandem (bought used) and Miyata 1000LT (bought new at a discount NOS as a couple year-old bike that had been lost off a dealer's inventory and couldn't be sold as a current model). There's a few bare frames in there, as well.

My car is old, too. A 23 year-old hatchback that was warmed-over considerably as an homage to my tuner-shop days. I've never found anything better for my needs. So, it stays on.

Andre struck a nerve when he admitted to a tool fetish; I have one, too. Yes, I have feelings for my ratchets and sockets and such and you'd have to pry the Mitutoyo digital micrometer out of my cold, dead hands to get it. They're a means to my expression and accomplishments; the tools of a craftsman.  In a very real way, my bicycles are an extension of this. They are favored tools for an intended job, a feeling reinforced by a shared history. I don't necessarily anthropomorphize the bikes (really?), but I do find myself describing our (see?) trips together using the royal "we" (yep), as neither of us (toldya) could ride without the other (methinks Danneaux is attributing human characteristics to an object). There's a synergistic co-dependency there, and the sum of the whole really is greater than the parts.

I just really hate to get rid of favored tools. Beyond soggy sentimentality, there is something about a tool you can reach for and use without thinking. My bikes do that. They're irreplaceable to me, and that's why I keep them. It really is about security of the über-familiar.

Anybody else crazy enough to hang onto old bikes forever and consider a sale the same as turning an old friend out into a chilly, stormy night without so much as a slicker? Does keeping them maintain your sense of history in a tangible way, or satisfy some need? Or are you a serial owner, as are many I meet, where one bike makes way for another in an annual succession of new-for old?

I'd love to hear.

Best,

Dan.

antonio75

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2012, 10:13:14 pm »
Don't know much about cycling psychology. I do know that a touring cyclist's most basic needs (excluding the bike, of course) are

1. Water

2. Food.

If you've ever experienced cycling in a remote area where simply getting clean drinking water is difficult - then everything else becomes irrelevant.

2. If you've run out of food and you're hungry enough, you'll eat practically anything.

Maybe this should spark off a new thread of tales which include items 1 and 2?

OK - back to the psychology!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2012, 05:59:11 am »
1. Water

2. Food.

If you've ever experienced cycling in a remote area where simply getting clean drinking water is difficult - then everything else becomes irrelevant.

2. If you've run out of food and you're hungry enough, you'll eat practically anything.

Maybe this should spark off a new thread of tales which include items 1 and 2?

Yes, but are we really ready for it?  :P

Willing to give it a go...

All the best,

Dan. ("As the stomach turns...")