Author Topic: Camp furnishings: Chairs, tables, and such  (Read 10066 times)

il padrone

Re: Camp furnishings: Chairs, tables, and such
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2013, 10:58:21 am »
I have spent many years of cycle-touring camping out and dragging up logs or boulders to sit on while I cook dinner. This was pretty much the norm during the 80s and 90s. Then around 1999 I discovered the joy and utility of a Coghlans 3-legged camping stool. Wonderful to get your butt off the ground and sitting in a convenient manner for cooking duties. There are other brands but the Coghlans has lasted me for over 13 years and is very light in weight, but stronger construction than the steel cheapies.

Recently an Australian manufacturer has come out with this even comfier chair - Helinox Chair One. It is a bit heavier but the exceptional comfort has made it more than worthwhile for some cycling friends. I've been tempted, but not yet.

After this apparently they have now developed a further innovation - the table  :o :)

« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 02:27:31 pm by il padrone »

jags

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2013, 11:14:51 am »
sat on the helinox chair very comfy i also have the three legged stool not very comfy but better that sitting crossed legged on the groung cant manage that one ::)

FrogPrince

• 60-something and loving it.
    • Cycle Somerset
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 04:27:22 pm »
My Son, who lives in Boulder Co sent me this camping chair. Just the thing to rest my weary bones after a long day touring. Just the right height for cooking and preparing a meal.

[Merged with Camp furnishings thread. -- Dan]
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 04:45:48 pm by Danneaux »
Sell your Clothes but keep your thoughts.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2013, 04:41:31 pm »
What an absolutely wonderful gift! So thoughtful, and it looks like a perfect fit!

Truly, once one starts carrying a chair on-tour, there's no going back. I love mine, and no more sitting on damp logs or rocks, nor having to endlessly stand or lean or sit on the ground. Civilization in a sack, that's what it is, and terrific at that!

All congratulations!

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2013, 05:25:54 pm »
you weren't supposed to open that pressie until christmas day ;D ;D
Who's a happy camper then. ;)

FrogPrince

• 60-something and loving it.
    • Cycle Somerset
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2013, 07:56:31 pm »
Truly, once one starts carrying a chair on-tour, there's no going back. I love mine, and no more sitting on damp logs or rocks, nor having to endlessly stand or lean or sit on the ground. Civilization in a sack, that's what it is, and terrific at that!

When I was touring last summer I stayed on a site for several nights which is unusual for me. I found a  broken chair in the rubbish, mended it, and couldn't believe what a difference it made. I dropped a big hint to my Son and he came up trumps  ;D I can't wait to get going in the spring to try this new one out.
Sell your Clothes but keep your thoughts.

mickeg

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2013, 10:02:51 pm »
In April I expect to be on a vehicle supported tour where one four wheel drive vehicle will haul our stuff to each campsite in Utah desert.  The are no benches or furniture in the campsites.  The vehicle will be hauling food and water for up to 10 people for three days, along with all camping gear so it is unlikely that there will be much room for chairs.  I recently bought one of these for that trip. About two pounds or about one kg and packs down to less space than a jacket.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dsporting&field-keywords=rothco+Black+Lightweight+Folding+Camp+Stool&rh=n%3A3375251%2Ck%3Arothco+Black+Lightweight+Folding+Camp+Stool

il padrone

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2013, 10:55:21 pm »
Had one of those things...... many years ago now. It busted on me one time just as I sat on it. Not a nice prospect - "Hello Doctor Proctology.......  " ::)

Chuck it out.

Buy a Helinox Chair One.

Your life will be more joyful.