Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

Braking stresses

(1/2) > >>

TonySmith:
In dry weather on good roads I usually only use my front brake. In wet weather or if mud, gravel etc. is present I'll use both brakes fairly evenly. With modern brakes the maximum braking force achievable on a bicycle is limited by the high centre of mass and short wheelbase causing the rider to go over the bars, not by braking power or traction.
 While there's no doubting the front only approach is best for an emergency stop I wonder if it should be used all the time, given that most brake applications are rather lighter.
 From a wear and tear viewpoint on the brake levers, cables, blocks and rims it should even out - only using the front will double the rate of wear at the front while the back will last forever (compared to 50/50 use) but what about the fact that the entire stopping force is passed throught the forks and headset? Also, is this suitable for a laden bike where the forces are greater but the weight of the rear end is increased? And what about the increased heating of just the front rim?

Colin:
In the 1960s, I was advised at primary school, by a visiting policeman, to always use both brakes together and apply the front brake slightly before the rear one. I have followed that advice since. When braking strongly, the front brake will be the more effecive, due to weight transfer onto that wheel. That's why cars, motorcycles (and some bicycles) have more powerful brakes at the front and why (like bicycle wheel rims) their front brake pads suffer more wear than the rear. So the front brake and wheel rim will normally suffer more wear (even if you try to apply the braking selection 50/50.

Colin

Pedaldog:
I second what Colin says. I was taught the same thing when learning to ride my motorbikes at the age of eight years and I have used it for the last 35 years with (Mostly!) success and confidence.

marcg:
I remember in the distant past - either with motorcycle training or bicycle training, I'm not sure which, being taught - always front brake first follwed by the rear and then 50/50 in the dry (I think) and a different percentage in the wet.  I can't remember the wet pecentage.  Maybe 60/40.
You never hear that now.  When I took my big bike test a couple of years ago there was no mention of this kind of thing.

luceberg:
Well, I tend to favour the rear brake, to no ill effect over the years, except my rear rims wear out first. Mostly used for speed control rather than stopping.
 Applying the front brake puts weight on the front wheel and proportionally away from the rear,so the rear wheel has more grip and hence more power when applied on it's own. Touring loads on the rear increase grip further.
 To stop quickly, I would put my weight as far back as possible and apply both brakes about the same.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version