Author Topic: Thorn Raven Tour 562L For Sale  (Read 6323 times)

6527richardm

Thorn Raven Tour 562L For Sale
« on: June 07, 2012, 07:08:22 pm »
I have reluctantly decided to sell my Black Raven Tour which is in excellent condition. I purchased it in new February 2011 and have only done 2265 miles on it  To put minds at rest I still have the original invoice from SJS and am only selling because I feel for the type of touring that I do (virtually all tarmac) the bike is overkill but i really like the Roholff hub hence my reluctance to sell. so if I sell the bike I will look at a Thorn Audax. Extras on the bike include:

Ergon GP 1 Grips
SJS Ergo Bar End Grips
CSS Grizly Wheels
SKS Silver 55 Mudguards
Shimano M520 Pedals
3 Profile Design Bottle Cages
Black Hope Pro 3 Front Hub
Thorn Narrow Flat Bars
Black Roholff Speedhub

I have recently changed the oil and also put a new chain on and will include in the sale 2 additional chains that I purchased

The bike would now cost over £2200 and I will accept £1600 or a near offer.

Please let me know if you are interested as I have decided to put it on the forum before I try ebay!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Thorn Raven Tour 562L For Sale
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 07:42:11 pm »
Richard,

This surely sounds a lovely bike, bound to make someone very happy. I'm sorry it hasn't proven ideal for your needs but you'll find the perfect bike soon enough (that Audax might just do fine!). Best of luck to you, and thanks for offering it to "family" (Forum) first.

Any chance of some photos being posted?

Best,

Dan.

6527richardm

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 07:45:30 pm »
Dan

Thanks.

I intend to put some pictures on but the weather here is very wet so not really suitable and being a Ludite I also need to work out how to get them onto the forum.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 07:53:58 pm »
I also need to work out how to get them onto the forum.
I really need to finish my FAQ on how to post photos on the Forum, as many have the same question.

[EDIT: I posted some suggestions here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4313.msg19992#msg19992 ]

In the meantime, the info in the latter part of my post here should help:
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4274.msg19753#msg19753
If you get stuck, feel free to PM or email me and I'll be glad to help with suggestions for getting the photos up and posted.

I hope the weather improves for you, Richard. No fun when it's pouring.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 09:23:21 pm by Danneaux »

6527richardm

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 06:29:51 pm »
I have tried uploading photographs of the bike but it seems that it is not so straightforward from a Mac computer.

If anyone can tell me how i would be grateful otherwise if anyone is interested please pm me and I will send to you via email.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 07:16:09 pm »
Richard,

If you'd like, email them to me and I will post them for you.

Best,

Dan.

julk

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 10:20:50 pm »
Richard,
I have just posted this reply from a Mac computer.
• I downsized my photo on my Mac using GraphicConverter to a file size under 500Kb - fewer pixels & lower jpg quality.
• I clicked on Additional Options.
• I clicked Choose File by the heading Attach, navigated to the photo on my mac, selected it and clicked Open.
• I then clicked Post.
The result should include the posted words and the attached photo.
Julian.

Just checked it and the photo is there (it will not show up in the preview which can be a bit disconcerting).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 10:22:30 pm by julk »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 07:16:18 pm »
Hi All!

Here are Richard's photos of the Thorn Raven Tour 562L he is offering for sale; I am simply posting the photos on his behalf.

Having seen the full-size photos, it strikes me as a lovely bike indeed, and nicely assembled and kitted-out.  Very tempting!

All the best to buyer and seller alike,

Dan.

6527richardm

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 10:52:01 pm »
Dan

Thanks for your assistance in posting the photographs if anyone would like more information about the bike please let me know!

6527richardm

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 04:47:04 pm »
Bike now sold - Dave thanks for the purchase I hope you get plenty of good use out of the bike
Yay! A happy ending to the story. So glad it worked out well for all.

Richard, if you go for an Audax, remember the photos! We'd love to see what comes "after" the Raven Tour.

Best to all,

Dan.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 10:39:06 pm by Danneaux »

6527richardm

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 02:06:31 pm »
Dan

Having looked around I have taken the plunge and ordered a Spa Cycles Audax bike.  It was a voice of that or the Thorn but i am close enough to Harrogate so went and tried the bike.

As you can imagine it rides completely differently but think that it is more suited to my current needs.  It has a titanium frame and Spa are also renowned for their wheel building skills in addition CTC gave it an excellent write up.

I pick it up on Friday and will ride it home (subject to the new Brooks saddle not being too stiff!).

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 05:18:37 pm »
I have taken the plunge and ordered a Spa Cycles Audax bike
Oh! Congratulations, Richard, and thanks for the followup!

It's always nice to hear "the rest of the story", and I was burning with curiosity.

This is a wonderful new bicycle you're getting, and I can almost feel the excitement in your words. There's nothing like a new bike, and this one sounds like a corker for your needs. If you can get all-day comfort and the choice of relatively plump 28mm tires with mudguards, it should do you well in any weather and all seasons. Yes, the CTC was enthused about it, and I have no doubt it will do you right. I can't see it going wrong in any way for your needs. I can see why the Raven Tour wasn't so well suited to this focus.

Best of luck on the way home. Just remember it will be new and a little unfamiliar, so no outpacing the motor traffic for the first 5km, okay? Gotta keep you safe for the Big/Fast Rides you'll be doing with a wonderful new machine.

All the best,

Dan.

6527richardm

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 08:07:36 pm »
Thanks as it is a new bike I have someone on standby just in case. I have also sorted out a nice route through the Peak District which should test both the bike and my legs.

You are right about the tyres the standard spec comes with 25mm but i have asked for 28's to give a plusher ride.