Author Topic: Handlebar tape  (Read 6795 times)

stutho

• Administrator
Re: Handlebar tape
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2012, 09:03:37 pm »
Very late reply to this topic but...

+1 for using a double lay of cork tape.

By running two layers of cork there is a duel benefit.  There is greater padding but also the diameter of the bar also increases this means that contact area on your hands increases and pressure decreases.

I have in the past run with 3 layers of cork!  (I would love to try leather tape  - maybe next time.) 

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 09:09:32 pm »
This really helps, Stuart; thanks!

Yes, what I am seeking is not just "more" padding, but that extra diameter as well. Spot on! If two or three layers of tape will get me closer to what I need, then that's surely the way to go.

You're absolutely correct about contact area and pressure. With just the present single layer of tape, it makes my teeth itch* after awhile.

Best,

Dan. (*whose teeth don't actually itch, but feels the old phrase neatly describes the niggling sensation after holding the 'bars for 16 hours)

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2012, 10:00:55 pm »
Just a quick tip if you are going to use multi layers of cork tape.  With the inner layer do not start by overlapping the end of the bar.  Instead use a bit of electrical tape or equivalent and cut the cork tape flush with end of the bar.  On the top layer start as normal, overlapping the end of the bar.  (Your bar ends probably wont fit otherwise!) 

And.. Old cork tape is fine as a base layer.