Author Topic: Touring in Chile  (Read 2538 times)

emyrose

Touring in Chile
« on: May 16, 2012, 12:20:10 pm »
Hi,

I am heading off to Chile in a couple of weeks for 3 months to do a mixture of cycle touring and surfing. I am looking to buy a bike from the UK (new if my time is running out but a second hand bargain ideally) and I was wondering if anybody knows of any bikes for sale? I am 5 foot 6 with inner leg length 31 inches so I am looking for a frame between 51 and 54cm. Ideally I need something which will take front and back pannier mounts. If anybody has any suggestions or tip-offs then I would be extremely grateful. Equally if anybody else has been cycle touring in Chile then  would love to hear from you! Thanks a million, Em.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
Re: Touring in Chile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 05:19:56 pm »
emyrose

Sounds like a good trip! One I want to do myself one day. I voted for the Thorn Raven as I have a Thorn Raven Tour and it seems ideal for such a trip on or off road. Many blogs exist where Raven Tour owners have had few problems on extended rough road expeditions. Sorry I won't be selling mine but you asked for any tips ...

I am 5'7" with 31" inside leg. Luckily, by keeping an eye on eBay, I found one second-hand from SJS Cycles last November and love it. The size of Thorn Raven Tour I got was a 512L which is perfect. My road bike is 53cm so a 512L Raven Tour would be the size for you. Its solid quality steel and absorbs the bumps well. Very comfortable and stable ride. Plenty of braze-ons to securely mount front and rear pannier racks and the Thorn racks are strong and well respected.

You could go for a Thorn Nomad too, especially if you can find one with s&s couplings to split the frame for ease of packing on the flight to Chile. However the cost is quite a bit more.

The Thorn Ravens come up on eBay but not that often, so you may have to go for a new one. Keep an eye on this forum for new posts listing Thorns for sale.

I look forward to hearing about your search and the trip! Have fun!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 06:04:39 pm by StuntPilot »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Touring in Chile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 05:09:52 am »
Hi emyrose!

I'm sorry to be so late in seeing your post, but want to wish you the best on your upcoming trip. May it be safe, fun, thrilling, and full of adventures and memories to last you a lifetime -- with a safe return home at the end.

Looking at your schedule, I realize you're likely to depart very soon indeed, perhaps any day now, and I hope you found the bike you want and need.

Really, you can't go wrong with any of the Thorns in your survey, and I agree with Richard -- a Thorn Raven Tour like his would make a wonderful bike for your trip for all the reasons mentioned.

I have to cast my vote for the Thorn Sherpa because it is what I have and I am so pleased with it. The derailleur drivetrain would likely provide greater opportunities to find replacement parts along the way, but with the Rohloff-hubbed models, maintenance will be lower and they have such a stellar record for reliability, replacement parts would likely be a non-issue.

Please keep in touch with the Forum when you can to let us know what you chose and how you're doing. Can't wait to hear all about your trip "after" or even "during" if you have a website.

Richard, I'm right there with you, wanting to do the same trip one day; sounds fabulous and then some.

Best,

Dan.