Author Topic: Splitting/joining Shimano chain CN-HG53  (Read 6445 times)

neil_p

Splitting/joining Shimano chain CN-HG53
« on: June 05, 2012, 01:01:12 pm »
My mum-in-law has a new Dawes Galaxy with a Shimano CN-HG53 chain. Looking at the tech docs for the chain, when reconnecting the ends of the chain (should it break) you are recommended to use specific joining pins and chain tool...

Is this necessary? I can understand using the recommended pins, but does the chain tool make that much difference?

Can you get emergency links of another brand that would work ok?

il padrone

Re: Splitting/joining Shimano chain CN-HG53
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 02:58:22 pm »
Yes, you need to use the special Shimano joining pin that is ridiculously expensive for the tiny bit of metal that it is. The chain tool is essential as you will not be able to drive the pin in without it. A chain tool is a standard bit of bike kit if you are to do any maintenance work on your drivetrain. It will see regular use.

There are alternate re-useable joining lins that are made by other chain manufacturers - SRAM, Connex, KMC. These are generally a good deal easier to use but also pretty expensive when bought separately. Best to buy one of their chains (when yours has worn out) and you get the joining link with it. BTW, these are not really "emergency links". Chains rarely break on you (unless they are significantly abused.... or you try to rejoin a chain by pushing the old pin back in) but these links are part of your chain and very handy to 'break' the chain, when doing some chain cleaning which may entail removing the chain.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 04:12:19 pm »
Hi Neil,

Agreed with all Pete said, except on re-reading your original post and looking at the tech docs for my own Shimano chain, I think you are also asking if it is also required to use the specific model chain tool Shimano recommend.

No.

I pack and use a Park CT-5 while on-tour, and it works just fine. No special chain tool required beyond it being capable of splitting and/or joining a narrow chain.

Yes on the special pin if rejoining the original chain by pin.

Big Yes on using a coupling link instead, as Pete suggested. Makes future maintenance (chain cleaning) a "no tools" affair. I remove mone each time I remove the rear wheel. Nice to not fight the tensioned chain on wheel entry/exit.

Hope this helps,

Dan.

neil_p

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 04:54:56 pm »
...There are alternate re-useable joining lins that are made by other chain manufacturers - SRAM, Connex, KMC.

I have found the cheapest is a Connex link... would that be ok with the Shimano chain? We already have a chain tool, which we can use either to install the Shimano pin (if we go down that route) or to remove surplus pins/links when fitting the Connex link (or similar).

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 05:14:14 pm »
I have found the cheapest is a Connex link... would that be ok with the Shimano chain?
I don't foresee any problems using a Connex link with a Shimano chain so long as the link is intended for the same type of chain (8-sp, 9-sp, 10-sp, etc). There have been isolated reports of a mismatch between the Wipperman Connex link and Shimano 10-sp chains, but otherwise you should be fine.

Hope this helps! Sounds as if things are moving toward "liftoff".

Best,

Dan.

neil_p

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 07:34:05 am »
I don't foresee any problems using a Connex link with a Shimano chain so long as the link is intended for the same type of chain (8-sp, 9-sp, 10-sp, etc).

Cheers for that.

I think I should have been more precise in my original post... I am trying to help my Mother-in-Law plan for a broken chain... not one split intentionally (I have advised her never to split a shimano chain unless it is to be thrown away).

So.... if her chain does break, it won't necessarily be at a point where a new Shimano Pin can be used (i.e. it might be where a connecting rivet or special rivet has already been used).  I would rather a bike shop take a look than try to explain to her how to identify different rivets.

My inclination is to give her a connex link.... she can use her chain tool to pop out two adjacent rivets by the break, and connect the inner "ends" with a connex link.

In that case the replacement shimano pins might be unecessary?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 07:42:59 am »
I am trying to help my Mother-in-Law plan for a broken chain... not one split intentionally
Oh! I see!
My inclination is to give her a connex link.... she can use her chain tool to pop out two adjacent rivets by the break, and connect the inner "ends" with a connex link...In that case the replacement shimano pins might be unecessary?
Yes, Neil, I think you can dispense with the Shimano pins in that case, as they would add unnecessary hassle for her.

You might see if you could get 'hold of a three-pack of connecting links to cover any eventuality by these same means. It is easy in field conditions to drop or lose a link half). That way, she would have a bit more margin (and sometimes there are specials on 3-packs, as there were for my most recently purchased KMC connecting-links, totaling about $USD9 vs. the same price for a single SRAM if I hadn't had a special coupon to spend on it, which dropped the price to $6.95 for one; the KMCs and SRAMs have worked identically on my Shimano 9-sp chain. My spare Shimano pins are still in their original packaging, unused).

I think your plan for her is a good one. There really is no harm in running multiple connecting links on the chain (again, so long as all are compatible with the same-width chain).

Good on you for helping her so ably; I'm sure she's very proud of you, and you can stand a little taller for the effort -- well done!

All the best,

Dan.

ají

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 01:12:49 am »
i was just looking at the KMC chain card. it says do not reuse the connex/quick release/master/quick link. has anyone had any trouble reusing them?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 01:22:59 am by ají »

mickeg

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 01:20:33 am »
i was just looking at the KMC chain card. it says do not reuse the connex/quick release/master link. has anyone had any trouble reusing them?

I frequently re-use old KMC quick links for eight speed chains.  They make two versions for different chains.
http://kmcchain.us/connectortype/8-speed-below-ml/